People who understand the innanet - we are "giving up control" - what does this mean?

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
People who understand the innanet - we are "giving up control" - what does this mean?

So apparently the United States per Executive Order is "relinquishing control" of the internet.

If you read conservative sites this means: We are giving control to ICANN, a UN run organization and theoretically are giving naming access to this group, which includes boogeyman China and Russia; AND they could shut down internet run...everything. Satellites, military hardware, service to entire countries. The internet was created on the dime of the US Dept. of Defense (ARPANET) and converted to a world wide web by a Brit.

If you read liberal sites this means: nothing. There is no real danger; the internet was intended for all and this is simply a process thing; it makes more sense to have it run by an international organization.

So - those w/actual knowledge and w/o some political leaning - what does this really mean?

Chempop

BESTEST Buttrider in chat.Officially No.10 at Schm

What is that?

27307097076_160bcf5bff_z.jpg

Mjrmjrjmrmj252252 PLZ

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
We sought the basis of Cruz’s statement about the administration giving away control of the internet. By email, Cruz spokesman Phil Novack noted ICANN is slated to no longer be under contract with the federal government. His email said that under the slated-to-go arrangement, "only the United States can authorize any changes to the authoritative root zone file, which is used to operate the internet and is essentially the master address book. By giving up those contracts, the United States is, in a very real sense, giving up control of the internet."

By "root zone file," Novack was referring to the nonprofit’s coordination of the domain name system, meaning a text file of the top-level domains that form part of web addresses. Contrary to Novack's characterization, though, the root zone file is not the "master address book" of the Internet, Milton Mueller, a professor in the Georgia Institute of Technology School of Public Policy and author of a book on ICANN’s creation, cautioned when we asked. Rather, Mueller said by email, the root zone file "is just a list of top level domain names (like .COM, .ORG or .EDU)." Mueller presents a longer description in this September 2015 blog post.

Mueller told us the domain name system solely ensures "that the domain names we use for websites and emails are globally consistent – if you type in an Iranian domain your browser knows where to find it. A lot of other aspects of Internet operations, such as routing, are completely separate from this." And generally, Mueller said, the internet consists of about 50,000 different private networks worldwide that use the Internet protocols to interconnect. "All of them operate their part of the Internet," Mueller wrote. "All of them could bypass ICANN if they needed to or wanted to. They all use a common domain name root because it makes the system globally compatible."

Found that interesting, but not sure how much more there is to it.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
So apparently the United States per Executive Order is "relinquishing control" of the internet.

If you read conservative sites this means: We are giving control to ICANN, a UN run organization and theoretically are giving naming access to this group, which includes boogeyman China and Russia; AND they could shut down internet run...everything. Satellites, military hardware, service to entire countries. The internet was created on the dime of the US Dept. of Defense (ARPANET) and converted to a world wide web by a Brit.

If you read liberal sites this means: nothing. There is no real danger; the internet was intended for all and this is simply a process thing; it makes more sense to have it run by an international organization.

So - those w/actual knowledge and w/o some political leaning - what does this really mean?

Here a bit of CS background for you:
- When you type a url in the browser, your browser converts the url to a series of numbers, this is done via looking up the url's domain (the something.com part of the url) with a DNS server.
- Anyone can run a DNS server; you have both ISPs, Google, OpenDNS, and others that run them.
- By custom, DNS servers accept changes from ICANN which handles domain registration (usually done for you by a domain registrar like GoDaddy).
- Hence, if Russia or China did take over ICANN, we can just choose to stop accepting changes from them, and go back to the DOC handling that on our end.
- Hence, if we kept control of the root file, and oversight on ICANN, Russia and China could still just up and decide to do their own DNS.

I hope that helps you understand what's at stake.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It means: DNSdies ...for the US and Afghanistan won't be blocked anytime soon. But as long as ICANN's flagship store is in L.A., this "giving up" is just public relations.

DNSDies

I LOVE HILLARY CLINTON!
It means: DNSdies ...for the US and Afghanistan won't be blocked anytime soon. But as long as ICANN's flagship store is in L.A., this "giving up" is just public relations.

It also means plausible deniability.
"We didn't do it, we don't control ICANN!"

It also means zero accountability to the nations that might be affected negatively.
ICANN doesn't answer to any one government, or its people.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It also means plausible deniability.
"We didn't do it, we don't control ICANN!"

It also means zero accountability to the nations that might be affected negatively.
NATO doesn't answer to any one government, or its people.

What does NATO have to do with it?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
Its just domain names. Who cares. IP addresses aren't that hard to remember.

Spoiler:
maybe someone should mirror ng.com on onion just in case

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
This is a banworthy post.

Because I prefer answers from real people instead of more politically skewed articles to try and cipher...

...or...

Because I don't watch rated R movies and haven't seen Terminator?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Because I prefer answers from real people instead of more politically skewed articles to try and cipher...

...or...

Don't worry about it. If we ever meet in person I can re-enact the whole series for you. It'll be great, and I'll try and keep the nudity to a minimum.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

...or...

You never watched the TV version?

I submit to the forum that you are a bot and may even be an early agent of Skynet.