apparently KOF XIV is getting an Arcade port (and so too is SFV?)

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
http://nichegamer.com/2016/10/16/the-king-of-fighters-xiv-gets-an-arcade-port/

SNK Playmore has announced (via 4Gamer.net) an arcade port for The King of Fighters XIV.

While most Japanese fighting games will hit the coin-scene prior to consoles, SNK’s latest in the ongoing franchise is now hitting arcades. The game will support network play between various arcades across the country.

The arcade port makes use ot Taito’s (yes, they’re still around) NESiCAxLive 2 system, which enables the aforementioned network play.

Further details will be coming at next year’s Japan Amusement Expo, in February 2017.

and

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...g-full-arcade-version-sf5-will-be-pc-version/

An announcement was made at Toushinsai today, after the tournament festivities was over.

Toushinsai is an arcade-only event, and as such had tournaments in Ultra Street Fighter 4 and King of Fighters 13, which naturally felt a bit out of place since both series have just had new games released this year. Thankfully, both series' developers were at hand to announce that come next year, they can play the newest version, since both of the games are coming to arcades.

King of Fighters 14 will be on the NESICAxLIVE 2 system, while Street Fighter 5 won't quite be getting an arcade version in the traditional sense, but instead will have PC stations placed in arcades that allow arcade players to battle eachother through the PC version of Street Fighter 5.

Considering the impact the arcade community has on Japan's players, this is definitely good news all around for both the King of Fighters and Street Fighter communities.

it's by no means the first time a home game gets an arcade port, but still, it's weird. Cool though

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
that cool to hear that kof will have an arcade release, looking goof for the game.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
yet there's no arcades to put the cab in :lolz:.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
In all honesty the freeplay arcades can just make a KOF XIV console cab and call it a day. It seems like all the arcades are switching to freeplay anyways (at least where I'm at) Having one that is "X" price for one game is almost antiquated these days.

Snakealpha

n00b
Good for them, maybe its a good idea because SFV and KOFXIV need more "fame" among japanese players

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Good for them, maybe its a good idea because SFV and KOFXIV need more "fame" among japanese players

Yeah, I welcome anything tha gives these games (and fighters in general) more exposure. Yay!!

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I think this is good for the Asia scene, and the scene as a whole. Being in arcades will have more people playing, and because of that, more tech will be discovered

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
it's by no means the first time a home game gets an arcade port, but still, it's weird. Cool though

Yeah, I'll never forget TFIII. Though the original... eh... console version was arguably better. Let's see how this turns out, at least this proves they mean it. Weird but cool, indeed.

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
In all honesty the freeplay arcades can just make a KOF XIV console cab and call it a day. It seems like all the arcades are switching to freeplay anyways (at least where I'm at) Having one that is "X" price for one game is almost antiquated these days.

Alot of these freeplay arcades in Japan can't provide consoles with said games, and can only provide the actual TV, and players are required to bring the games and the consoles. Something about the laws out there

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
That's f'ed up. Though makes more sense why Japanese gamers bitch about the arcade port so much.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Can I have KOF on Xbox One now?

I wanted a PS4 for KOF XIV but I got the stupid Xbox One S instead because fucking PS4 doesn't play 4K Blu Rays.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Good luck with the XB1. Been pissed since the start of it that Microsoft has basically shit upon the FGC with the serious lack of titles. KI is a great game, but that's the only exclusive they have as far as I know.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah, it's pretty slim pickings as far as fighting games on Xbox One. Especially if you stick to retail discs. The only decent stuff out there is Mortal Kombat XL, Killer Instinct, BlazBlue Chrono Phantasma Extend, Dead or Alive 5 Last Round, and maybe Dragon Ball Xenoverse (it's really some kind of odd action/rpg/fighter combo but it's pretty decent... developed by Dimps).

No Guilty Gear Xrd Sign or Revelator, no Street Fighter V, no King of Fighters XIV, no Injustice 1, no JoJo, no Blazblue Central Fiction, no Dengeki Bunko, no Skullgirls 2nd Encore. feelsbadman

Tekken 7, Injustice 2, and Xenoverse 2 are the only big things on the horizon as far as I can tell.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Wait, they didn't BC Injustice? That's kinda suprising really. I wonder why?
I have no idea if the 360 version is compatible with Xbox One, but PS4 got a native port of the Ultimate Edition. As did the Vita, and even Wii U has the vanilla version.

I have it on both Vita and Wii U but I'd have liked a full 1080p60 console version. But nope, only if you have a PS4.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Remember the days when it was the other way around?!? I wonder if it's a lost cause. Does anyone have an arcade near them doing pretty good business?

cmoliveira

n00b
Remember the days when it was the other way around?!? I wonder if it's a lost cause. Does anyone have an arcade near them doing pretty good business?

There seems to be a retro arcade resurgence in Toronto, Canada where I'm at. I hope this leads to bringing in newer arcades to some of these local bars.

I was in Tokyo not too long ago and it was nice to have multi level arcades every few blocks! One can only dream. :(