Nes games not filling the screen

Justin

Banned
I have a front loader Nes hooked up to my Sony wega CRT tv using composite video.The games do not fill the whole screen on the left side.Is this Normal?Can it be fixed?Thanks:confused:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Hi Justin!

Did you check the settings on your TV?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some games don't fill the screen in my Wega either. It doesn't have as much overscan as most crts, you can really see it in SMB3. Post a pic of a game that does this and I'll check on mine to compare.

Also, try playing Sonic on the genesis, see if you see a blue border.

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Some games employ a technique of tile caching by omitting a coloumn/row of tiles (turning it black) so that there's a row/column buffer for scrolling the screen smoothly. That's why it appears that some games dont' entirely fill the screen.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Can't you put a Wega into service mode and change the overscann?

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,

Yup, you should be able to do so. He should look up how to get into the service mode and adjust that for his specific model TV.

I've done service mode adjustments on my Loewe & my old Toshiba Cinema Series. Hell I used to do it to my Tosh just to change the scan area to 16:9 (it was a 4:3 crt). There was a lot of adjustments I had to change to do that as it meant altering the scan area of the tube to use only a 16:9 section of the tube. Then re-adjusting all the geometry to properly display an image. It wasn't 100% perfect mind you, but it was rather close. But as back then not all DVD's were 16:9 enhanced and it was a time consuming process so I didn't change it back and forth much.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

I'm sure you probably can, but an issue that you may run into is that if you adjust the overscan to eliminate the borders you may find that other systems may have too much stuff left off the edges. When I had the PVM I used the Geneses 240p test suite to make those adjustments since a lot of Genesis games have a colored border, but then when I hooked my CPS2 up the life bars in Super SF2 were running off the side of the screen.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That goes for anything though. Thus why arcade monitors have Horizontal and Vertical pots.