Fake inflation of Neo game value: The art of Buy It Now "auctions"

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Yeah there will always be those cases, but is that the rule or the exception? The fact that you say 'anyone remember' makes me think it's the exception and that's been my experience collecting all sorts of things since the internet started. That said, that exception happens a lot more often around Neo Geo stuff than most other things that I'm into (games, music, tech, movies, tech etc.).

Its all speculation, but history always repeats itself. A fool and his money will always exist....

Being here as long as I have, that statement is so far from the truth. An idiot and his money will always artificially inflate a price, even worse when two or more idiots have a bid war. Anyone remember AOF MVS loose going for over $100 in one auction? Then sellers started listing AOF at $50 BIN and higher and idiots were buying them. It's a fucking $10 game, at most.

If enough "idiots" want something and will pay for it, that's called demand. If sellers are making legit sales at that price, the buyers aren't out of touch, you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanooki

War Room Troll
On could say youre partly wrong as it is about the informed consumer vs the sucker.

Go to a used car lot, youfind somene sheisty and theyll sell a chump a car in questionable shape for far more to a dolt than to someone who will call out the faults and want repairs and or a reduction. Doesn't mean the shitbox is worth $1000 but they can find an uninformed impatient idiot. They ride it out until someone buys it at a premium vs reality which is how games are now ...the used car lot of entertainment.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If enough "idiots" want something and will pay for it, that's called demand. If sellers are making legit sales at that price, the buyers aren't out of touch, you are.

Let me know when you want to buy a fully modded AES for $800, I'll have one ready.

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Lol, this is a funny thread. At the end of the day a buyer wants to get a good deal or at the very least not get ripped off. A buyer wants to get a good price which can be hard if he hears someone else got a markedly higher price than what they're thinking of selling for so run a fine line between being greedy or being taken for a ride.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Being here as long as I have, that statement is so far from the truth. An idiot and his money will always artificially inflate a price, even worse when two or more idiots have a bid war. Anyone remember AOF MVS loose going for over $100 in one auction? Then sellers started listing AOF at $50 BIN and higher and idiots were buying them. It's a fucking $10 game, at most.

My personal favorite is the time I couldn't sell Art of Fighting Dog Tag AES for $50 on here so I put it up for 99 cent eBay auction that for some insane reason sold for $500....AND I GOT PAID :lolz:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
My personal favorite is the time I couldn't sell Art of Fighting Dog Tag AES for $50 on here so I put it up for 99 cent eBay auction that for some insane reason sold for $500....AND I GOT PAID :lolz:

Yea bro, It's that bidding war shit. Dude's throw down a crazy number just to top the high bidder and it ends up getting crazy. I had the same thing here happen to me when I tried selling a complete minty snes turtles in time for $80 and no one one wanted it. Put it on ebay and it sold for over $200 and this was like 3 years ago. Shit, you could go on ebay now and find a complete turtles in time for under $200.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
At the end of the day a buyer wants to get a good deal or at the very least not get ripped off.

They want that, and then they want to show off how much worth a single game is in their collection. The higher they pay, the higher becomes their satisfaction.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

It's best when it's tax return season. People pull that trigger so dam fast. I usually save all my crappy games for that period. That's when bid wars are at their peak. It also helps to create bid wars by listing shipping discounts in the auctions if they win more than 1 item. They go nuts for that.

I once bid $20 on Savage Reign only to be outbid by $250. Are people really that uninformed about the price of games, or do they just have more money than sense?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I once bid $20 on Savage Reign only to be outbid by $250. Are people really that uninformed about the price of games, or do they just have more money than sense?

More money than sense. I blame the new kids with credit cards.

Let me know when you want to buy a fully modded AES for $800, I'll have one ready.

I'm not saying I like it. I'm just saying has anyone ever gone to the people selling to these hordes and said "Excuse me, don't you know what the fellows over on Neo Geo dot com said this is actually worth?" and had the seller give a shit? Would you give a shit if you were the seller?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm not saying I like it. I'm just saying has anyone ever gone to the people selling to these hordes and said "Excuse me, don't you know what the fellows over on Neo Geo dot com said this is actually worth?" and had the seller give a shit? Would you give a shit if you were the seller?

You're preaching to the wrong person. I just unloaded MVS kits for $12 a pop.

Missile

Another Striker
I have a theory a lot of collectors just buy up multiple copies of the rarer titles to increase price. Games like Blazing Star don't even seem to appear on Ebay that much anymore. 10 years back there'd always be one for sale. I remember when I decided £480 was too much for a copy, and watched it sale out of my price-range forever.

Ebay is probably the most important site contributing to the price guide overall because like it or not, it does the most sales of Neo Geo games. If that's what people are willing to pay - then that's the price.

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Probably a common theme, but what really annoys me is how people point to ebay "buy it now" prices when it really doesn't matter. All that matters is what actually "Sold". I see people time and time again overprice the same items, only to have it sit for weeks (Just to get re-posted again).

red impact

Crossed Swords Squire

Weird how shit works out like that lol

this might be true for aes collectors.

Probably

thats not a theory, thats a fact.

Unfortunately very probably true

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I think the Youtube/streaming environment possibly contributes with the price hikes on retro games. Allot of new collectors have been created by watching some of their favorite Youtube personalities display their wall of games. Thus sparking a bidding war or price hike for old games because the demand and popularity of this stuff is so high.
Also the Ebay tax on whatever you sell is possibly making people sell it for a bit more than normal just so they can get what they really want out of the price.

You're preaching to the wrong person. I just unloaded MVS kits for $12 a pop.

That's great, but my point was that you cannot expect the market as a whole, especially people that are attempting to sell merchandise to make a living to drop prices below what buyers are willing to pay out of the kindness of their heart.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm fairly new to Neo Geo but not to collecting/gaming. I got a big red for free from a friend so I have been slowly trying to get it to work. I rented a neo geo system as a teen and played a lot of it at the arcades.

I don't understand the new collector mentality that feels like they are on a race to the finish line. There are so many games that are reasonably priced that there is not much incentive to go out and buy the pricey ones right away.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
That's great, but my point was that you cannot expect the market as a whole, especially people that are attempting to sell merchandise to make a living to drop prices below what buyers are willing to pay out of the kindness of their heart.

And this is where you are confused we as the consumer dont give two shits about the reseller. If they are trying to make a living off selling games they are probably douchebags. And i just dont care about resellers.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I have a theory a lot of collectors just buy up multiple copies of the rarer titles to increase price. Games like Blazing Star don't even seem to appear on Ebay that much anymore. 10 years back there'd always be one for sale. I remember when I decided £480 was too much for a copy, and watched it sale out of my price-range forever.

Ebay is probably the most important site contributing to the price guide overall because like it or not, it does the most sales of Neo Geo games. If that's what people are willing to pay - then that's the price.

Check out the neo geo for life group on facebook, its very common to see. Ive seen people post pictures of their 4 copies of US Sam Sho 5 Special, or multiple slugs, etc. There is alot of hoarding for Neo geo games going on.

And this is where you are confused we as the consumer dont give two shits about the reseller. If they are trying to make a living off selling games they are probably douchebags. And i just dont care about resellers.

I get that. This forum's marketplace essentially allows collectors to price fix via gentleman's agreement. It meets people's needs and everyone here seems to be cool with that, but it's a closed market, right?

Whereas an open market follows completely different rules. I don't understand why collectors see what is generally just a commodity market doing what it do and saying "Wow look at all the douchebags selling to idiots." No. That is what most markets look like. The idea that anyone who charges more than a certain preset amount is shamed as dishonorable isn't really that common a phenomenon.

Neo Geo collectors were complaining about sales that deviated from their precious price guides fifteen years ago, and they'll probably be complaining long after this thread turns to dust.