WIP consolize cps2

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
Hi all, I figure I'll do a wip of my consolize cps2. It will be a long process as I only have a few hours a week to work on this. Damn those kids, haha, I really do love them. Come join me on my journey won't you?

I have never consolized anything before, so this will be a learning experience for me. It will also show people that any fool can do it haha. I say I have average soldering skill as everything I know is self tought. I will be taking cue from Undamn ccps2 build

Parts list is as follow:
Working Cps2 a board
Power - old laptop brick, off the shelf dc-dc converter 5v fix and 12 adjustable (just what I had at my local electronic store)
Control - Undamn usb encoder
Video - Mikejmoffitt neovga (firmware update will make it compatible with the cps2)
Power jack (2.1mm)
On off switch
Female vga jack
24 awg flat cable
Uni bit
Jewelry saw (I will be doing most of the work at night when the wife and kids are in bed so a dermal is a no go :( )

Day 1
Remove audio amp and Install the dc-dc converter

Day 2
Install the video encoder

Day 3
Planning on finishing the power section, test fit the vga connector, and see if all is good

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Cool project, looking forward to the finished product.

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
I got some more work done over Canadian Thanksgiving. Things are looking good so far. When I make my face plate, does anyone have any idea on how to mount those undamned encoders? I'm just using double sided tape for now as place holder.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
I use the bigger ones. I strip all the screw terminals off it as well as the LED and USB port, then throw on a right angle JST header and connect them up to some USB ports that were meant for empty PCI slots on PCs. I mount them using the white PCB mounts that have foam tape on the bottom from focus attack.

I actually just finished one for a member here. What are you using for power? This last one used a pico PSU.

Last edited:

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
Just off the shelf dc-dc converter from my local electronic shop. I'm using this for my 5VDC https://www.pololu.com/product/2574 and a generic one for the 12VDC as it draw less then an amp. I do have a 5VDC at 6A on order. I'm using buck/boost converter so I can plug in any power brick with a 2.1mm jack. I will look at that PCI usb option when I refine the layout. After this is completed I'm looking forward to a cps3 consolization. I just need to find a good video encoder

Last edited:

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Be sure you put a competent inductor on your output rail. Otherwise you'll have nasty ripple and probably a great deal of noise.

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
Output of the laptop charger or the buck/bust cct?how would I size it as I don't have much room. I'm new to this

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
Where's the scanlines?

It was not enable. Later that night I did enable them and wire in the 2nd usb encoder. Look like I need to install some dipswitches to enable the settings

50%

100%

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Pretty cool. I've always wanted to do this as well. I need to pull the trigger on it someday

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
It was easy to do. The solder point are a good size and the vga output is nice. The hard part for me was placement and finding alt solder points

M.D.K

n00b
Thanks for sharing. That video encoder looks sweet, I guess that's mounted with double sided tape as well?

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
Thanks for sharing. That video encoder looks sweet, I guess that's mounted with double sided tape as well?

Most of the stuff is double sided tape for pcb and hot glue for wires. My friend said it work great so far. He just doesn't like the scan lines. The cheapo vga to hdmi i got does not like his tv, as it clip a bit of the left. I'm not sure if that's from the cheap vga2hdmi adpater, cps2vga code, or TV. My guess is on the TV as it work on both of his hdmi computer monitor

XeD

Super Sidekicks 2
It's done for the most part. I only have to do the faceplate for the usb encoder. I may just leave it as is, as I like to work on my CPS3 consolization. My friend has been testing it for me. Playable for a FGC guy is good news for me.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
It's done for the most part. I only have to do the faceplate for the usb encoder. I may just leave it as is, as I like to work on my CPS3 consolization. My friend has been testing it for me. Playable for a FGC guy is good news for me.

CPS3 consolization too, huh? I'd love to see some of the work on that!

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
CPS3 consolization too, huh? I'd love to see some of the work on that!

I second this, I would love to see what you've done on that. Plug and play Heritage for the future or 3S sounds rad as hell.

Also 'grats on the CPS2 consolization, I'm sure it's been done before but I've sure as hell never seen it so it was super cool to see how something like this was done!

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I wonder if the CPS3 motherboard would fit in an old ATX desktop case? space for the CDROM drive at least.

Slithis

n00b
Nice work XeD! You give me hope that I may one day be able to complete a project like this. What was the cost for all the components if you don't mind me asking? Whats a good price to pay for a cps2 motherboard?

StalkS

New Challenger
Nicely done! I love projects like this. I've got an old MVS 4 slot kicking about somewhere and CPS2 being shipped soon. Might be time to add a 'C' to the begining of each of them!!

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
Nice work XeD! You give me hope that I may one day be able to complete a project like this. What was the cost for all the components if you don't mind me asking? Whats a good price to pay for a cps2 motherboard?

You talking the A board or the B board? B boards are gonna vary wildly based on the game but A boards run between $40-60 in my experience. Just glancing on Ebay there are a few selling for like $120 and that is an ABSURD price for an A board (you can get many A and B combos for that much) so don't fall for it if someone tries to high-ball you