MV-1T graphical glitches

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ive been putting this off for awhile. I got this consolized MV-1T a couple of months ago. It has 2 issues. The first issue is it seems to work fine except when I play either metal slug 3 or metal slug x. I get alot of sprite flickering in X and random black/colored lines on Mission 3 in metal slug 3. This happened on 3 different metal slug 3 carts btw. I havent encountered any issues with any other games.

http://imgur.com/a/iiLlZ

http://imgur.com/a/iF0vS

The second issue I'm honestly not super concerned about but whenever I use the "consolized" s-video jack I get interference on the screen. This interference doesn't exist when using scart on my supergun. it's almost like jailbars. Also it seems like this interference is relieved a little bit when using my supergun to power the MVS on instead of using the power supply that was provided with the board. I'm assuming this isn't normal when using the encoder. The encoder is a JNX stryder. Is any of this stuff fixable or should I just sell it with full disclosure?

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
so here's a strange update. i tried playing metal slug 3 on a MV1C and the problems still persist. This happened on a real cart and on my multicart. So if it happens on multiple carts and multiple systems wtf is the issue then?

edit: confirmed it happens on an MV-1 as well. can someone check if this happens on there 161 in 1 cart? I can't imagine it being 3 messed up MVS but ive checked with 2 legit mslug3 carts and a 161 in 1 cart on the MV-1T

Last edited:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
What display do you have this hooked up to and with what cables?

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
What display do you have this hooked up to and with what cables?
PVM 20L5 hooked up with a scart cable. I've tried it with and with out a sync stripper. I've also tried an S-video cable on the PVM through the encoder on the MV1T. I even tried s-video connected directly to a capture card to rule out the PVM. Problem persists in all cases.

I'll probably get some composite cables just to test the MV1T on another CRT. I gotta get AES composite cables though. So I can't try that right now.

Edit: I thought I should clarify. When I use scart with the MV1T, MV1C, MV1, I use a supergun. From the supergun it's hooked up with a male scart to a female scart to BNC cable. The tests I did with s-video are all done through the jnx encoder on the MV1T. Hopefully that makes sense.

Last edited:

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
What power supply are you using for the 1T and 1C? Also, are your carts and slots clean?

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Jailbars via Svideo? Got a pic?
It's not really jailbars. It's vertical interference that moves. I probably shouldn't of referenced Jailbars. I'll make a video of it when I get home.
What power supply are you using for the 1T and 1C? Also, are your carts and slots clean?
I use a winnit arcade power supply. The MV1T also came with a ac adapter. No change with either psu. I've cleaned the slots and the pins on the cart with deoxit multiple times.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
If you've got a meter, check your PSU's and make sure your boards are getting ~5.05v.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If you've got a meter, check your PSU's and make sure your boards are getting ~5.05v.

hate to say it but ive already done this to lol. my supergun has a digital readout for the voltage. I even checked with a multimeter at the jamma edge. I got it powered up to 5.1. There was only a .01 difference between the jamma edge and the supergun. Thanks for help/suggestions so far though.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
If I didn't know better, I'd say you're getting screen tearing artifacts from a wonky vertical refresh rate, either from the gun or the monitor. Does your gun have a pot to adjust this? The fact that the issues occur in roughly the same place is what makes me think it's that. That's pretty much all I got, other than to say you should take your carts and boards to a JAMMA cab and try them there.

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Jailbars via Svideo? Got a pic?
http://imgur.com/a/IsBsS
pretty sure its a loose connection some where. when I was wiggling the s-video around it got better/worse. I'm *pretty* sure its not the cable though because even scart through the encoder had the same issue. ill mess with this more later. also this was taken with the supergun powering the board. keep in mind that the ac adapter i got with the board does the same thing so i dont think its related to what's powering the board.

If I didn't know better, I'd say you're getting screen tearing artifacts from a wonky vertical refresh rate, either from the gun or the monitor. Does your gun have a pot to adjust this? The fact that the issues occur in roughly the same place is what makes me think it's that. That's pretty much all I got, other than to say you should take your carts and boards to a JAMMA cab and try them there.
there are some knobs on the supergun that adjust RGB but not sync. Not to mention it happens with out the supergun as well. I'd say its something that needs to be adjusted on the PVM but it happens when just capturing with out the supergun or the PVM as well. I dunno the whole thing has got me pretty frustrated to say the least. I guess I can try to find someone with a cab or maybe send it off to someone here who has one or something.

edit: so someone pointed out to me that its probably normal. go figure I guess.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?1572-Minor-glitches-in-Metal-Slug-3

Last edited:

mikejmoffitt

Mickey's Coach
Metal Slug does a lot of graphical updates, and also uses a lot of sprites. The former would explain visible garbage near the top of the screen (lots of data to move around takes time, eating into the visible area) and the latter explains why in really busy areas chunks of sprites can disappear.

That S-video interference looks like your color subcarrier clock is really close to the pixel clock (or some harmonic or division of it) but isn't matching. If you can slightly tweak that, you can tune it to be at different angles, and its phase will probably drift over time which will average it out across a few frames (This is how the NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, etc. make their composite a little better, by shifting the phase across lines and frames).