Drowning in Fightsticks

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
this might be a dumb question but: what are all those buttons for anyway? 8 on the upside (what game needs more than 6?) and 8 in the back? why?
If I had to guess, L3, R3, Home, Start, Option, Share, maybe one is Touchpad Click actually. I think the two black things in the middle might be switches, the green PCB is for lighting clear buttons and the one closest to it looks like it might enable/disable it.

As for 8 buttons, I think Killer Instinct needs 8 and I believe Skullgirls might as well? In any case, the additional button per row can be used as 3P/3K.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
In case you guys are interested, I plan to have a video review of the Brook USB to Neo Geo adapter up sometime in the near future. Hopefully by next weekend.

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
In case you guys are interested, I plan to have a video review of the Brook USB to Neo Geo adapter up sometime in the near future. Hopefully by next weekend.

Definitely, put it up ASAP. I do think it's a little expensive but am keen as hell to see how it goes!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Review this weekend or early next week.

31716332913_3d2f5613ba_c.jpg

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I planned to save all my impressions for the video review, however I'll share a couple things with you guys.

No detectable lag. I'm not seeing any button lag whatsoever. Ultra responsive.

DB15 connector is deep so it fits in the home console correctly.

The instructions that Brook include with the converter are incorrect about how to remap buttons. Arcade Shock has an updated chart showing how to remap them correctly.

And this brings us to the BIG NEGATIVE - It does NOT retain custom button mappings at power off. The default button mappings mimic the NeoCD config with a PS3/4 controller. So if you have pretty much any stick you are going to have to remap the action buttons every time you power your Neo off and back on.

Change games? Remap the buttons.
Power goes out? Remap the buttons.

I think this is FUCKING stupid. Especially for a $45 converter that was designed for the Neo. Ohhh and you can do macro mappings too. Press one button and triggers a sequence of button presses. It doesn't save that either.

I've sent off an email to Arcade Shock asking if this is expected behavior.

It's been a while since I have written a negative video review on something (hi Pandora's Box 3!), but if Arcade Shock responds that this is correct, then that's exactly how that video is going to go down.

What do you guys think?

edit: Ohhh and there is a little red LED on top the Brook adapter. Every button or joystick press makes it light up. ARGGGHHH After about 30 seconds into a game I want to just turn the system off...and loose the button mappings...

edit 2: I've created a specific thread to discuss this converter HERE.

Last edited:

trenton_net

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If I had to guess, L3, R3, Home, Start, Option, Share, maybe one is Touchpad Click actually. I think the two black things in the middle might be switches, the green PCB is for lighting clear buttons and the one closest to it looks like it might enable/disable it.

As for 8 buttons, I think Killer Instinct needs 8 and I believe Skullgirls might as well? In any case, the additional button per row can be used as 3P/3K.

Your right about the extra buttons. Of the two switches, one locks buttons so you can't accidentally hit start or home in a middle of a match. The other switch allows you to toggle between the D-pad, left analog, or right analog stick. The PCB is just to make connecting things easier (instead of having complicated wiring harnesses). A lot of those buttons aren't really required for arcade games, but for consoles they're nice to have (which is why they are wired).

Last edited:

Dahun72

NEST Puppet
Thanks for the Brooks write up. I am going to go down the MC Chtulu road and will wire up the Neo output separately.
I have 2 identical sticks that I'll mod and they'll either be my Neo/retro sticks. Cheers for everyone's input and help!