PSVR thoughts. Anyone have experience with VR?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Too expensive. Call me when it fails and goes down to PStv price level.

I was thinking the exact thing the other day. :) While this thing seems neat, there is no way I'd pay more for an accessory than what the console costs. I'm also the moron who paid full price for a PStv. :(

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Okay, played through Batman: Arkham VR. Holy crap that was awesome. That made the purchase of the VR headset right there for me. Glad I waited until I had played what I'd wanted from the demo games and such, because that was totally what I wanted from this headset. You get to be Batman in Gotham doing his detective thing and playing with his gadgets.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
People have really liked the inclusion of demo's. Something that is a bit lacking on Steam and Oculus home.

Let the VR games begin.
The emphasis on demos is supposedly Sony's answer to Oculus' motion sickness ratings and Vive's methods of reducing motion sickness.

Definitely did the job for me on Driveclub, in particular (fuuuuck that game is brutal for motion sickness, as has been mentioned).

Yeah, I finally cracked on Saturday. My initial impressions are pretty good overall, with some stuff being much better than others-

Kitchen - first thing I tried, and it does a real nice job of selling the concept.
Spoiler:
When you can actually get stabbed early on, holy hell that was a surprise. And then the hands, man, the hands. That was as far as I got. Got to go back and finish it now, I know.
Real good stuff.

Driveclub VR - ugh, easily the worst offender for motion sickness, and not a good game, either.

Batman: Arkham VR - Fun to play through, very nice use of the tech that works really well within the limitations. Kind of a bizarre story, but still interesting. Watching the fight scene play out right around you is very cool. Though that's where I have my biggest problem with the plot -
Spoiler:
I mean really? Nightwing would fight Batman to the death and not say a single word to him?
Great sense of place. Pretty strong graphics on the NPCs, too.

Rez Infinite - well duh, it's Rez in VR. Great stuff. Probably the single game that most feels like a great use of the tech, to me at least. It's actually easier to play in VR since the look to aim functionality is so much faster than using a cursor. Plus it looks and sounds excellent.

Superhypercube - Good concept, fun to play. Good learning curve, gets surprisingly challenging.

Regarding motion sickness, I'm curious what the rest of you have experienced. Driveclub seems to be the worst offender, by far, to this point for most people. Here They Lie is also apparently bad. The demo for Eve didn't give me any problems at all, which surprised me.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I've played a few of the demos so far, Rush of Blood is super fun, the roller coaster hills gave me that gut-rush from the real thing. Here They Lie is awful, looks like its running at 320x240...just bad.

VR Worlds is cool so far - London Heist blew my mind.

Gonna crack open Eve Valkyrie tonight, very stoked on it. The game wouldn't load until I installed a 7gig update, so I will dive into that tonight.

I was also surprised about the motion sickness. I assumed I would feel sick, but I played an hour straight with no probs. Love it. Very glad I bought it.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Anyone play 100 Ft Robot Golf or The Brookhaven Experiment? Brookhaven looks pretty dated and basic, but still maybe fun (?). Robot Golf looks weird. The "story" looks annoying as hell, but it still seems like the gameplay would be fun.

edit: eh, Robot Golf sounds pretty bad. Off my list.

Last edited:

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm also curious about Loading Human - but the consensus seems to be "it stinks"

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
Sony says the PSVR isn"t compatible with anything but the PS4.
I've read some reports that it does work with other hdmi sources, can anybody confirm?

Next question can you hook it up to your ps3 and try it in 3d mode, or a blueray player in 3d mode?
Also note there's 3 3d modes, full, side by side and top and bottom.

Somebody from redit:
–]Bitmat23 1 point2 points3 points 2 days ago

I just figured it that if you disconnect the hdmi from the processor to the headset and plug your laptop hdmi output directly into the headset it will power off after a second, but if you plug the TV hdmi into where the headset was plugged in then the headset stays on and you can watch 3d movies playing on the laptop, but the sync rate is reduced to 60hz. If someone could decode the usb tracking data then 360 videos would work too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5790v7/the_virtual_screen_feature_works_with_any_hdmi/

I dunno if he's saying he got this to work or what.

I'd buy one just to play 3d PC/PS3 games. ...3d bluerays. I think some xbox 360 games are 3d but I've never bothered to try them out.

Last edited:

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
I've read some reports that it does work with other hdmi sources, can anybody confirm?

Next question can you hook it up to your ps3 and try it in 3d mode, or a blueray player in 3d mode?

Somebody from redit:

I just figured it that if you disconnect the hdmi from the processor to the headset and plug your laptop hdmi output directly into the headset it will power off after a second, but if you plug the TV hdmi into where the headset was plugged in then the headset stays on and you can watch 3d movies playing on the laptop, but the sync rate is reduced to 60hz. If someone could decode the usb tracking data then 360 videos would work too.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/5790v7/the_virtual_screen_feature_works_with_any_hdmi/

I'd buy one just to play 3d PC/PS3 games. ...3d bluerays. I think some xbox 360 games are 3d but I've never bothered to try them out.

Even if you could get it working like that you wouldn't want to use it for flat format games. This generations screens aren't there yet, I played through some in the headset and much prefer it on my monitor. You won't be able to play 3d games without vive/rift as you need vorpx as the translation layer.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member

Somebody from redit:

No. They use entirely different tech and aren't intended to work together.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
No. They use entirely different tech and aren't intended to work together.
Yeah that's what Sony says, bet they don't want to sell just the units and definitely don't want to give customer support for it.
I really doubt Sony totally re-invented the wheel from the models I linked before . I don't wanna pay $1,200 for a vr 3d viewer.
Give it a few months and I guarantee it'll be hacked for use on PC.

Well I'm kinda excited about it. I bought a PS4 late last year, got a few games for it but other than Fallout I really haven't used it much.
In fact I can get Fallout 3 and NV to look and run better on my 8 year old laptop than 4 does on my PS4. Also Sony is dragging it's feet for DLC content & mods for F4. I started hearing rumors that the ps4 wouldn't support the PSVR, which was one of the deciding factors for getting it. I started to get some serious buyers remorse and was considering how to do a personal civil lawsuit. Ha!

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I mean 3d Pc, VR so on.. not just as a monitor.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Wrong-o my friend. Like Xavier said, you can run a signal through to it, and it will show it in something sorta like Cinema mode, but that hardly counts.

You can run SBS 3D while connected to PC display using tridef3D.
That means 3D movie playback, and some supported 3D games.
People are already testing Skyrim on PC with PSVR. That's pretty far in less than a week of public release.

Headtracking will likely need something crude like a taped on Wii Controller or similar device for inside out. Track IR can do it outside in, this would technically work already.

Last edited:

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Few people mentioned wearing glasses... PSVR is by far the best headset for glasses wearing folk. You can adjust it so it sits just outside your lenses and isn't jamming into your face (I have big hipster doofus frames that still fit) Zero pressure on your glasses at all if you choose.

Rez and Thumper are fantastic games in their own right, and the VR versions are a fun twist. Wife and I played Keep Talking for about an hour yesterday, was a lot of fun.

Drive club and VR Worlds Luge are the main vomit trains for me. Rigs demo was close behind though, so I'm considering not opening the full disc.

Rigs, Battle Tanks, Valkyrie- What would you choose? I really dig the aesthetic of Battle Tanks. The demo for Valkyrie was ludicrously short but sort of cool.

Last edited:

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
You can run SBS 3D while connected to PC display using tridef3D.
That means 3D movie playback, and some supported 3D games.
People are already testing Skyrim on PC with PSVR. That's pretty far in less than a week of public release.

Headtracking will likely need something crude like a taped on Wii Controller or similar device for inside out. Track IR can do it outside in, this would technically work already.

Awesome then, I'm getting it one of these days. It's about #20 down the list though of other things I need to take of first financially.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Rigs, Battle Tanks, Valkyrie- What would you choose? I really dig the aesthetic of Battle Tanks. The demo for Valkyrie was ludicrously short but sort of cool.

If you can avoid motion sickness with it, Rigs is probably the clear-cut best game of the three. I'm in a similar spot with it- I bought a hard copy and then played the demo and went hmm, that's not quite as easy to play as I thought it would be (I watched the video of Jeff Gerstmann playing it, looked fine, Jim Sterling also had zero problems with it). I'm leaning toward keeping it and trying to ease into it.

I started a few other games last night on it:

Loading Human Chapter 1 - It's... interesting. The narrative is enough to keep my interest, and basically it feels like you're Tom Cruise in Oblivion and you have to find your way. The movement system is bizarre, but after you get used to it, it works. Instead of using regular FPS controls, you use Move controllers to move- you point and hold the top button to walk, you hold the controller to either side and tap the top button to turn. I think the choice to avoid FPS controls is supposed to help with motion sickness, but walking backward in LH was easily the worst sensation of motion sickness I've felt, regardless. It's decent enough so far but shouldn't be $40, especially as the first of however many episodes.

The Brookhaven Experiment - Same game as on Vive, pretty much. It's nicely polished and leans into PSVR's limitations instead of fighting them (staying in one place and shooting works well). Great sound design, I could always tell right monsters were going to be by hearing them on the 3D audio.

Wayward Sky - simple but fun, relaxing would probably actually be a good word for it. It's like you're playing with a living world in a huge diorama. The controls are easy to use (point at a spot with Move, push the button, Bess goes to the spot). Nice example of using VR in non-first person to still increase immersion.

Last edited:

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
You're on a site dedicated to games being 300 a piece, and this is too expensive? I don't get you faggots any more.

I'm not surprised as we have a lot of members only play games on MAME and EVERDRIVE on this site.
It's too fuckin crazy to spend money as you can download the ROMz from the internet :D
I don't think $300 can get you a nose job, that is just a consultation fee in the front........................LOL