PSVR thoughts. Anyone have experience with VR?

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
As a glasses wearer who can't stand 3D movies, I have my doubts that VR will fair much better. I'd like to give it a shot sometime tho, but I'm awfully skeptical. Any of you wear glasses? Will this turn me into Lawnmower Man?

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
PSVR is super sick. It was a little nauseating for the first few minutes. Took a break and tried again. Played it for HOURS yesterday.

Played Arkham VR all the way through. Not really a game as much as an experience (that had me jumping).

Rez is Rez. It's cooler in VR but doesn't change it drastically.

Eve Valkrye is very fun and feels like the type of game this was built for. Spent an hour or so on that.

Sadly, 100ft Robot Golf was touted as VR game but imo is largely unplayable in VR (it's a fantastic game otherwise!)

Beyond that I have a few games in the queue that I will try this weekend. Thumper is supposed to be very good. Probably most excited about playing that one.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It was a little nauseating for the first few minutes. Took a break and tried again. Played it for HOURS yesterday.

Interested in hearing more about this.

Anyone else have anything to say on their experience so far regarding vomit potential?

I want this so bad.

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member

Anyone else have anything to say on their experience so far regarding vomit potential?

I want this so bad.

I put it on, played Rez standing up my first time ever in VR (mistake). Got a little dizzy and felt like I was going to fall over so I took it off. Chilled out for a minute then tried again, this time sitting down. Played most of the games sitting down until Arkham. At that point I was used to it so standing up wasn't as jarring.

Also as dumb as it sounds - the Oculus guys recommendation of having a couple beers beforehand seemed to help a little :keke:

Get drunk. Weird option but some people have reported it doing wonders. Just before putting on the Oculus Rift headset, don稚 forget to consume a couple of beers, and you are ready to enter virtual reality.

http://riftinfo.com/oculus-rift-motion-sickness-11-techniques-to-prevent-it

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member

I want this so bad.

I get motion sick on rollercoasters, but I haven't experienced anything in VR thats making me nauseous. I was expecting to get sick, but so far nothing.

Rocko

Galford's Armourer
I got a PSVR but haven't hooked it up yet. Going to do it tomorrow. The move controllers are sold out EVERYWHERE, and I don't have any. What games are good without them and what games really need them for the full experience?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
One thing I just tried... Putting large headphones on with it kind of sucks. The added weight isn't very comfortable when you turn your head a lot. The pack-in earbuds sound pretty good however.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
As a glasses wearer who can't stand 3D movies, I have my doubts that VR will fair much better. I'd like to give it a shot sometime tho, but I'm awfully skeptical. Any of you wear glasses? Will this turn me into Lawnmower Man?

I wore glasses in VR until I had my lasik about a year ago. They work just fine in most headsets, but you will want to look for feedback with PSVR. You will also want to make sure replacement lens's are available for PSVR, as your glasses can scratch the VR lens's.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Okay. I love this thing but the drifting from center subtly is starting to piss me off. Didn't do it right away. I wonder if my camera position has something to do with it. Anyone have answers on this? And no, holding option doesn't fix this (for some fucking reason).

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
How does compare to the oculus gear vr? I have the note 4 version. Worth the upgrade

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'm currently brain washed into wanting one of these things. Anyone play one or experience VR in general? I'd like to hear some of your thoughts as if it's worthwhile or a waste of time and money.

I bought one yesterday and I'm digging it. Worth the money, IMO.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Played two levels of Thumper, some of Superhypercube... those are both excellent. Definitely recommend those.

I also played the Tumble and Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live demos. Tumble was pretty cool, but not enough for me to buy it. Same for Miku, which loses its charm once that demo's song is done.

The free Allumette short animated film is a great watch. If you have your play area set far enough back, you can walk around and look/around into the sets.

The Within and Littlstar VR Cinema apps have some interesting short films and VR clips to check out. Mr. Robot, Paranormal Activity, Mythbusters, etc... worth killing a little time in those.

Last edited:

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Own vive and rift, tried psvr and thought it was a cute attempt at vr. Hopefully it gets more people into actual vr.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Played the demos for...

Job Simulator (Cute, but it definitely shows the limitations of the PlayStation VR. Hard to do anything under the desk or anything behind you. Found it very difficult to fill the coffee cup.)

Kitchen (Yeah, this was scary... in a fun way.)

Drive Club VR (Holy crap do I feel sick after playing this. I felt motion sick almost immediately once the race started and kind of just suffered through the 3 laps... bad move. It just made me feel worse and worse as I went on. Had to just stop playing for the night. The game isn't even that good. You can barely tell which direction the track is going before you're at a curve.)

Last edited:

Stuart989

Sexless Insecure troglodyte, Has an awesome pc rig
Low-end, welfare trash. Too many sacrifices in graphics, and games looks blurry as hell. It is also very cluttered with a processor box because ps4 is low-end, and tons of cables taking up space. Poorly implemented on sony's part.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Low-end, welfare trash. Too many sacrifices in graphics, and games looks blurry as hell. It is also very cluttered with a processor box because ps4 is low-end, and tons of cables taking up space. Poorly implemented on sony's part.

Penis.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
read some good reviews from the PC VR usergroups. They have mainly been positive when comparing to Vive / Oculus.

Yeah, the graphics are toned down, and the aliasing is terrible. Most people say it's noticeable but it doesnt take away from the experience.
They remarked the headset is quite comfortable and adjustable. The display quality is on par, so as the PS4 gets more powerful, it should be able to use the same headset.

The bad remarks were mainly at the poor tracking performance of both the headset and move controllers. Both likely suffer due to the Camera used for tracking. The move controllers have severe jitter in some games, but i bet this can be smoothed out some in software updates.

People have really liked the inclusion of demo's. Something that is a bit lacking on Steam and Oculus home.

Let the VR games begin.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member

this guy shouldn't get banned so much as have his membership revoked.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I'm waiting for RE7 and see how that pans out.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,

Holy cow, I'm no fan of Sony, nor am I a believer in their VR attempt but this has to be the most heinous thread-poison I've ever read here.

You are truly an arrogant, prideful, waste of human flesh. I hope you grow a heart one day and realize that you don't matter, just like everyone else.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Played it for a couple of hours last night at a friend's place (VR Worlds, Until Dawn Rail Shooter, Keep Talking...).

Didn't have any of the jitter issues people are talking about. The visor's super comfortable on your head. Obviously it'll all depend on the games but it seems like a decent middle ground between the shitty phone holders and the high-end Vive/Oculus. Honestly, half the fun was having other people follow along on a 60" screen. I'm not getting any of the headsets for now but after my initial experiences, I'd be more inclined to get PSVR.

Ignore Stuart. He's a PC master race autist who measures his self-worth by the price of his video card. What he's doing on a forum dedicated to 25-year-old arcade hardware is beyond me.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Too expensive. Call me when it fails and goes down to PStv price level.