PSVR thoughts. Anyone have experience with VR?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'm currently brain washed into wanting one of these things. Anyone play one or experience VR in general? I'd like to hear some of your thoughts as if it's worthwhile or a waste of time and money.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
I was brainwashed the second I found out about Rez Infinite. I did try it out at BestBuy a few months ago. It's pretty cool, but honestly, I probably wouldn't buy one at launch if it wasn't for Rez.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Read our other VR threads...

It takes a good PC to do VR well. Nvidia 970 is the minimum...
It should work well enough, but don't expect to get into the cockpit of the next Gran Turismo or any PS4 game of your choosing.
PC games are optimized for 90FPS per eye. Drop in framerates can lead to effects that cause additional VR sickness. Sony is allowing 60FPS..

VR is definitely awesome, but i have no idea how well it will work on a PS4.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Every single review for PSVR mentions an unnatural shaking of your "hands" in every game that uses them.

That's a symptom, to me, of the major issue with the product- it's built on hardware (PS Move and the PS camera) that's just not up to the job.

It sounds pretty awful, judging from the reviews, and the Pro isn't going to fix the inherent problems of using shitty, failed tech to rest on.

If you want VR, seriously, just go with a Vive or an Oculus. The extra money is worth it.

edit: the base PS4 is really underpowered as far as supporting VR goes, also. Two 1080p screens at 90 fps? Not gonna happen very often, if ever.

Last edited:

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
There's some scuttle that there might be a hardware defect that's causing the jittering issue as there are some reviewers who haven't had the issue at all and some that say it's really bad.

In general, you're better off ignoring VR altogether until there is software worth playing. The hardware is totally getting there on the PC and the immersion experience is amazing the first few times but that wears off eventually and there just isn't anything at this point worth spending $600+ on (although I would recommend getting a Vive at this point).

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
90 fps?! I thought the human eye couldn't make out 75 or over (roughly).

I didn't give a shit about this until I saw Battlezone. Then I was like "Oh fuck I have to have this." It looks like real life Tron.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Another question: I can't see my phone from two inches away from my face. How does this differ?? Or do I need glasses? Lol

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Another question: I can't see my phone from two inches away from my face. How does this differ?? Or do I need glasses? Lol

Its got lenses to bend the image, I assume?

NeoSneth

20 Year Member

you have an Andriod?
get a cheap holder for your phone on Amazon and try some Google Cardboard apps.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
90 fps?! I thought the human eye couldn't make out 75 or over (roughly).

I didn't give a shit about this until I saw Battlezone. Then I was like "Oh fuck I have to have this." It looks like real life Tron.

When the screens are that close to your eyes and bend, anything less than 90 FPS will look unnatural. On a powerful gaming PC (check the specs that Rift and Vive require, both are pretty heavy-duty) that's not a problem, but on a stock PS4, which is underpowered compared to a basic gaming PC, it's near impossible.

Battlezone also is the most expensive game on the system, BTW- it's the only one of the launch games that carries the full $60 price tag.

100proof is right, the software for VR just isn't there. There's a shit ton of it on PC, with most being garbage, and even the best stuff almost always comes with the caveat "...for VR," as in, "it's good, for VR."

There's undeniable appeal if VR is good, don't get me wrong. I'm thinking more and more of finally putting together a gaming PC, and with hardware that can do it justice, I'd have to at least consider Rift or Vive. But PSVR, ugh, no.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
on the one hand I feel PSVR represents ground zero for Sony as did the PS1. it is ushering in a new era in gaming and they may expect the gamer to forgive the limitations inherent regarding the technology employed, to overide the frustration through the power of enthusiasm.

on the other hand I think they could be trying to kill off VR as a popular mode of experiencing videogames and what have you - and making a buck in the process. if they dampen expectations enough, PSVR being the most visible form of VR in the eyes of the general public, it may be viewed as a fad. so Sony is only investing some money - this time round - in VR in order to not have to do so again, at least not for a few more decades. I know it seems like a conspiracy theory, but apart from the beautifully crafted gadget that is the helmet itself - everything else about is seems half arsed and the software support right now, at least in house - is comparable to what they had with the Move, and you know how that went (again I just think they made the move to take some of the wind from Nintendo's sail, rather than to make something they really would stand behind).

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
on the one hand I feel PSVR represents ground zero for Sony as did the PS1.......

Does that mean people will start selling their old console games like in 1996? :drool_2::drool_2:
Maybe retro game hype will slow down a bit.................

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
I tried the PSVR and I really liked it, but im not gonna get it.

Im gonna instead get an HTC Vive since Im leaning towards PC gaming now.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
on the other hand I think they could be trying to kill off VR as a popular mode of experiencing videogames and what have you - and making a buck in the process. if they dampen expectations enough, PSVR being the most visible form of VR in the eyes of the general public, it may be viewed as a fad. so Sony is only investing some money - this time round - in VR in order to not have to do so again, at least not for a few more decades. I know it seems like a conspiracy theory, but apart from the beautifully crafted gadget that is the helmet itself - everything else about is seems half arsed and the software support right now, at least in house - is comparable to what they had with the Move, and you know how that went (again I just think they made the move to take some of the wind from Nintendo's sail, rather than to make something they really would stand behind).

I don't think so, I guarantee you they have spent BIIIIG money on R&D for this. This is actually something like a fourth generation+ helmet for them. The last ones just play Bluray, PC 3d gaming. I hope the prices drop on the old models or hackers figure how to make the PSVR's work on Pc's. The last gen models cost anywhere form $800-,1600. https://www.amazon.com/Sony-HMZ-T2-...=UTF8&qid=1475790997&sr=8-18&keywords=sony+vr

Anybody remember thinking in the 90's we'd be living in a totally virtual world by now? Yeah ok you can take care of a bunch of your business online.....

Last edited:

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I'll never forget how excited I was for the Sega GENESIS VR headset. I was positive they were actually gonna come out with that. How fucking shitty was that thing gonna be?! Lol.

Here's the details:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_VR

And this quote is hysterical to me:

The company claimed to have terminated the project because the virtual reality effect was too realistic

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Probably more like it was giving people motion sickness. I remember VR games from that time period on things much more powerful than a Genesis. They were terrible and vomit inducing.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
While I have no interest in anything VR, I really like the look of that Battlezone game. If they came out with that where you didn't need the VR then I would want to pick it up.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
VR is really neat. But I'm sitting generation one out. It's going to take a few hardware revs and some cost reductions before it really becomes worthwhile.

Most people I know with VR headsets say they hardly use them after the initial hype wears off.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
With what I've experienced of it, the whole lot of it is garbage. The resolution just isnt there yet. To me it looks like hd content on an sd display.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
There is something to be said about early adoption all things considered. Being there and exploring this new environment is worth the price of admition in my opinion. I am reminded of that period when the jaguar, 3DO, 32X and what have you, where being released, where experimentation and excitement overshadowed a certain naivete prevalent within the industry. Kind of like the awkward teenage years where a boy becomes a man and is clumsy with his new body and strength.
So in that regard I at least am attracted to what is at hand. With other videogame forms having become standardised over the years it's refreshing to see a new challenge at hand. Wether or not it is taken advantage of in the long run is quote a different matter.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
There is something to be said about early adoption all things considered. Being there and exploring this new environment is worth the price of admition in my opinion. I am reminded of that period when the jaguar, 3DO, 32X and what have you, where being released, where experimentation and excitement overshadowed a certain naivete prevalent within the industry. Kind of like the awkward teenage years where a boy becomes a man and is clumsy with his new body and strength.
So in that regard I at least am attracted to what is at hand. With other videogame forms having become standardised over the years it's refreshing to see a new challenge at hand. Wether or not it is taken advantage of in the long run is quote a different matter.

this is somewhat true, steam and oculus home are full of games that I would call demo's more than anything.
At the same time, Oculus held off on release for years to make sure the hardware and software were more mature. A lot of games utilize VR very well.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I just finished reading a review by the WSJ's tech guy regarding the PSVR and he raves about it.

He stacks it up against the Rift and the Vive and says "PlayStation VR is the first virtual reality rig you’re likely to keep using."

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I guess all games are going to be 60 fps and doubled (can't remember the term) to be 120 fps per eye. They're saying the games run super smoothly. Hmm.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I guess all games are going to be 60 fps and doubled (can't remember the term) to be 120 fps per eye. They're saying the games run super smoothly. Hmm.

From Wikipedia:

In September 2015 it was revealed the headset would have three rendering modes for developer to choose from: native 90 Hz, native 120 Hz, and a mode where gameplay running at 60 Hz would be displayed at 120 Hz using a motion interpolation technique called asynchronous reprojection.[18] The interpolation would be achieved with little system resources and a small latency of under 18 milliseconds. The technique would also be utilised in the native 120 Hz mode to ensure consistent framerate.[19] According to a Sony representative the company expects the interpolated 120 Hz mode to be a popular choice for games