Who wants to live forever?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
If I had a wife I'd rather her die first because I wouldn't want her to feel so hurt, I'd take all the pain and then some. Maybe it's the beer speaking, but I wouldn't want her to be sad.

you would cheat her of her bragging rights of outlasting a gwai-lo?

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
Personally I think that eternal life, without any curse attached to it, like one could choose to stay just as one is, at a certain point in time, and being able to opt out of it via suicide, would be awesome.

To quote Batou: "A way-cool dude like me will never die"

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If I had a wife I'd rather her die first because I wouldn't want her to feel so hurt, I'd take all the pain and then some. Maybe it's the beer speaking, but I wouldn't want her to be sad.

Sage pls, she'd divorce you long before you were old.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Personally I think that eternal life, without any curse attached to it, like one could choose to stay just as one is, at a certain point in time, and being able to opt out of it via suicide, would be awesome.

To quote Batou: "A way-cool dude like me will never die"

interesting. but the need to employ self murder as the only means for nature to turn you into compost would be a heavy burden to bare.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
A new study suggests 115 might be about as far as humans can stretch the expected lifespan to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37552116

Fuck whether that's true or not, they'll change their minds again before I've finished typing this sentence,

but,

How long do you want to live?

How long do you think you'll live?

How important is it?

I think living forever might be ok, if you could stay young physically. If you could live for hundreds years, or as long as it takes to do everything you wanted to do in life.
Do you mean the average/expected age might be extended to 115? There have already been people 122 years old, and probably older than that.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I think living forever might be ok, if you could stay young physically.

It would be hell. Death is probably the only profound meaning of life. Everything else is just volatile, erratic and exactly designed to be this way to make us think about it. Till the thinking stops. I like the idea of getting old, as old as it gets to see what happens with this planet -- but forever? ...that's just a misunderstanding.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
It would be hell. Death is probably the only profound meaning of life. Everything else is just volatile, erratic and exactly designed to be this way to make us think about it. Till the thinking stops. I like the idea of getting old, as old as it gets to see what happens with this planet -- but forever? ...that's just a misunderstanding.

Yeah nearly everyone I've spoken to finds the idea of living forever off putting, which makes me wonder why the religious obsession of eternal life after death? Not for me ta.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah nearly everyone I've spoken to finds the idea of living forever off putting, which makes me wonder why the religious obsession of eternal life after death? Not for me ta.

Quite a nihilistic reaction to something we can't experience. I don't know what happens in the afterlife, but the concept of eternity maybe as vital there, as is the concept of a beginning and an end here. It's either forever or a variation of our earthly purgatory.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I personally would go for it. It would suck to see everyone die, but i think the ability to traverse and see the entire planet, or planets, would be awesome.

Even if you could live forever you would eventually die when tbe earth gets hit by a comet, burns away from the sun, or theres a massive catstrophe somewhere in space.

Would you get older, or age i guess? Or be young lookin forever?

The previous poster in the first page is right. Once biological computing really takes off were going to destroy that 115 age prediction. They will eventually be programming dna so that will pretty much eliminate disease and birth defects. Plus theres printing and growing of organs already being done.

The real hurdle will be preserving ones brain. So until they find a way to transplant one of those bad boys back in you and upload your memory we're not living forever.

Theres still a LONG way to go before anyone is making it well past 115. Hundreds or even thousands of years.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I personally would go for it. It would suck to see everyone die, but i think the ability to traverse and see the entire planet, or planets, would be awesome.

Even if you could live forever you would eventually die when tbe earth gets hit by a comet, burns away from the sun, or theres a massive catstrophe somewhere in space.

Nah bro, doesn't work that way. When the earth dies or when heat death of the universe or whatever, the thing is you would still be alive, that's whart. No get out of earth free card, earth blows up? You're floating around for billions of years in space. Hell why billions, how about trillions of years floating and swimming alone in space. fuck that shit

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Nah bro, doesn't work that way. When the earth dies or when heat death of the universe or whatever, the thing is you would still be alive, that's whart. No get out of earth free card, earth blows up? You're floating around for billions of years in space. Hell why billions, how about trillions of years floating and swimming alone in space. fuck that shit

You're only hope is to have eaten enough beans so that you can propel yourself to a new world with a mighty fart. That's why immortals always carry a can of beans, for in case they get stranded in space.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member

Yeah, I guess I'm out then.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I do not want to live long enough to see everyone I love die off. I'm not sure what age that is...but I really do not want to bury everyone currently in my life.

I also imagine that this world will eventually wear me down to a nub. I'm already beginning not to care about the constant shit swirl that 90% of the world is. Wars, death, taxes, politics, resources, work, weather, etc...eventually I won't want to endure another winter, or listen to yet another politician pander for votes, or hear about the latest crisis/emergency/scare, or hear doom and gloom profits tell us all how things are going to end "any day now".

In other words, eventually I'll be ready to die. I would never want to live forever.

Imagine a 115 year old person that would be alive now. Imagine all they would have went through between 1901 and now. All the wonders, all the horrors, everyone they ever loved in the ground. No thanks.
This: Seeing all your love ones die yet you don't die.

On the other hand: From a music perspective, it would be amazing to live forever! Seeing new bands, enjoying music forever!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Queen are almost an institution here, to the point that "who want's to live forever" borders on being a saying. So yeah, it was actually a reference to the song of the same name in some way.

Kind of like someone linking a story in the news about a herd of cows escaping and crushing a town and naming the thread "Got Milk". They don't actually want to discuss the 90s advertising campaign.

I've confused myself with this now too. Sage, you teach English, what am I talking about?

Anyway, it was a fail.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sage, you teach English, what am I talking about?

Anyway, it was a fail.

man the other day i looked in our textbook and saw the word 'ping-pong bat' and i yelled out in class OH MY GOD ping-pong bat?

I feverishly searched the internet and apparently Europeans - and since you're british that means you're one of them - say ping-pong bat?

I told everyone the book is a lie, everything you learned is a lie, your life is a lie, your t-shirts are a lie, Tian'anmen is a lie and that's when security burst through the door and dragged me away as I kept screaming PING-PONG BAT? PING-PONG BAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTT

Pmkllyl.gif

http://i.imgur.com/Pmkllyl.gifv

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Yeah, when I taught English, I had to break students of a bunch of dumb England-English they'd unwittingly been fed by UK teachers.

Hey, UKers and Europeans: people around the world don't learn English because they want to talk to you. They learn English so they can do business with the USA, you egomaniacs. Stop teaching them your outdated bullshit fake English. The point of teaching is to prepare students for their future, not bolster your flagging sense of self-worth.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Yeah fuck you britfags. No offense stevenk, you cockneyed britfag. I still like you buddy.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Yeah, when I taught English, I had to break students of a bunch of dumb England-English they'd unwittingly been fed by UK teachers.

Hey, UKers and Europeans: people around the world don't learn English because they want to talk to you. They learn English so they can do business with the USA, you egomaniacs. Stop teaching them your outdated bullshit fake English. The point of teaching is to prepare students for their future, not bolster your flagging sense of self-worth.
Well, I will talk posh if I like it, whenever I like it!