ideal camera lens to record electronic works

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
So I'm looking at a lens that would make it easy to record or take a clear picture of electronic component.
I.e. soldering, chip legs, traces on motherboard...
I'm obviously not very acknowledgeable in camera tech but I do own an Olympus PEN E-P5 now I only need the right lens :)

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
You'd probably want a wide-angle lens with zoom so you can adjust your framing depending on how big the object you're working on is. You also might want to consider a macro lens for close ups (most normal lenses need about a foot between the object and the camera to focus) but I don't know if macro lenses are made for the lens mount on your camera.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
You'd probably want a wide-angle lens with zoom so you can adjust your framing depending on how big the object you're working on is. You also might want to consider a macro lens for close ups (most normal lenses need about a foot between the object and the camera to focus) but I don't know if macro lenses are made for the lens mount on your camera.

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of problem I'm having today with a telephoto lens.It gets all blurry whenever I get to near or zoom too close.
I will consider the wide angle lens first. It is much more affordable than a macro lens.
A macro lens that fits my camera cost about $600.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
This is one of the reasons that I don't like micro-4/3 cameras like the PEN. Needlessly expensive glass and a limited selection. That being said, a specialty lens is always going to me more expensive. An entry-level macro for Canon DSLRs is going for around $300 used, but it's too wide (50mm). You want something like 100mm so that you are far enough away from your subject that you aren't causing lighting problems.

All of that being said, I have taken close-up shots of console motherboards for my YT show, and I just use my DSLR with a normal walking-around lens like a 50mm or 28mm. When you have a 16 megapixel camera (which is what you have with that PEN), you can take a wider-angle shot and then crop it down, as long as it's a good sharp photo. If you can't get that to work, with proper lighting an iPhone/Galaxy/whatever smartphone can generally take very good macro shots.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
This is one of the reasons that I don't like micro-4/3 cameras like the PEN. Needlessly expensive glass and a limited selection. That being said, a specialty lens is always going to me more expensive. An entry-level macro for Canon DSLRs is going for around $300 used, but it's too wide (50mm). You want something like 100mm so that you are far enough away from your subject that you aren't causing lighting problems.

All of that being said, I have taken close-up shots of console motherboards for my YT show, and I just use my DSLR with a normal walking-around lens like a 50mm or 28mm. When you have a 16 megapixel camera (which is what you have with that PEN), you can take a wider-angle shot and then crop it down, as long as it's a good sharp photo. If you can't get that to work, with proper lighting an iPhone/Galaxy/whatever smartphone can generally take very good macro shots.

Alright, thanks for the details.
So I'm still looking at wide angle lens, maybe micro 4/3 12mm (including cropping factor). A second hand lens obviously...

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks, that's exactly the kind of problem I'm having today with a telephoto lens.It gets all blurry whenever I get to near or zoom too close.
I will consider the wide angle lens first. It is much more affordable than a macro lens.
A macro lens that fits my camera cost about $600.

The blurriness might be from the long end of the telephoto. A general rule I use for photography is the shutter speed needs to be at the very least the same as the focal length. Example 70-300mm im shooting at 150mm I would want a shutter speed of at least 1/250 (if your camera doesn't do 1/3 stops).

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

For m4/3, this is your closeup lens:

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-MSC-60mm-2-8-Lens/dp/B0096WDK0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475706069&sr=8-1&keywords=olympus+macro

The Oly pro lenses are expensive, but the normal zooms and primes are actually well priced and still have great resolution.

By the way, with an adapter you can use all the old 4/3 glass of which there is a ton of, plus the m4/3 lens selection is growing by the month. The new 25mm F/1.2 is out now, and next month the new 12-100 F4. I think even another lens is out in January iirc.

Last edited:

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
The blurriness might be from the long end of the telephoto. A general rule I use for photography is the shutter speed needs to be at the very least the same as the focal length. Example 70-300mm im shooting at 150mm I would want a shutter speed of at least 1/250 (if your camera doesn't do 1/3 stops).

Ok I shall give it a try with my lens by adjusting the shutter speed. This lens doesn't have a good aperture, F/4.0 max which could also be a problem.

For m4/3, this is your closeup lens:

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-MSC-60mm-2-8-Lens/dp/B0096WDK0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1475706069&sr=8-1&keywords=olympus+macro

The Oly pro lenses are expensive, but the normal zooms and primes are actually well priced and still have great resolution.

By the way, with an adapter you can use all the old 4/3 glass of which there is a ton of, plus the m4/3 lens selection is growing by the month. The new 25mm F/1.2 is out now, and next month the new 12-100 F4. I think even another lens is out in January iirc.

The lens you propose for close up looks godlike but...out of my reach for now.

I am basically left with 3 choices
m4/3 wide angle 25mm or lower (Cropping required)
m4/3 macro (ideal choice)
old 4/3 lens with adapter (lower in price)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the inputs!

fake

15 Year Member
I am basically left with 3 choices
m4/3 wide angle 25mm or lower (Cropping required)
m4/3 macro (ideal choice)
old 4/3 lens with adapter (lower in price)

Thanks guys, I appreciate the inputs!

If you're into photography, I'd probably recommend going with an adapter, since it'll open up a lot of new options for you. I wouldn't worry too much about an f/4.0 as long as your place is well lit. I've done 5.6 in well lit interior shoots.

Edit: I suppose it depends on how grainy things get with a bumped up ISO. I use a Canon 5D Mk2 for stuff I get paid for (I have to rent it) and that camera's pretty great in low light.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
If you're into photography, I'd probably recommend going with an adapter, since it'll open up a lot of new options for you. I wouldn't worry too much about an f/4.0 as long as your place is well lit. I've done 5.6 in well lit interior shoots.

Edit: I suppose it depends on how grainy things get with a bumped up ISO. I use a Canon 5D Mk2 for stuff I get paid for (I have to rent it) and that camera's pretty great in low light.

Have you thought about just buying a 6D?

fake

15 Year Member
Have you thought about just buying a 6D?

I'll have to check it out but my heart has always been set on the 5D, since I also do a lot of video work that doesn't. Quite warrant renting a C-100. I'd love to have my own one day but used Mk2s are still really pricey. In the meantime I'm going to try to buy the 35mm L series since my personal camera is a Canon.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
I'll have to check it out but my heart has always been set on the 5D, since I also do a lot of video work that doesn't. Quite warrant renting a C-100. I'd love to have my own one day but used Mk2s are still really pricey. In the meantime I'm going to try to buy the 35mm L series since my personal camera is a Canon.

You should read some reviews of the 5D vs. 6D. If you're a full-time pro then I'm sure that the 5D is worth it, but the differences are pretty negligible. I totally get that the 5D and 1D are "pro" cameras so they have that allure, but the 6D is an amazing fucking camera body for the price. I bought one straight from Canon, refurbished, for like $1050 or something. I previously used a 60D (actually still have it but need to sell it) and the 6D shits all over it. I'll never go back to an APS-C sensor again.

The only L glass I have is the 70-200 f/4.0 L IS. It's a great lens but I don't really need pro-grade shit like that. My normal "walking around" lenses are a 28mm f/1.8 and an old nifty fifty from 1987. I should sell the 70-200 because I've only used it like twice. But I don't really need the money for anything, and I like the idea of what I could do with it even though I never actually do it.