The best Game.com thread EVER!

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Did you know that the Game.com was released in September 1997? Can you believe it?

The console was both ahead of it's time... and also really behind the time all at the same time.

Let me explain.

The Game.com had a touchscreen, in 1997 that was pretty cool! The low res definition of the touchscreen was poor (remember the little boxes you can see on the screen?) but playing lights out and pressing the screen to load a game seemed pretty awesome back then. Nice one Tiger.

The Game.com could go online! And okay, it was only a 14.4 k modem and okay it was text only... but that's pretty awesome all the same. Has anyone used a Game.com online? Has anyone tried if it still works today?

The console could take 2 cartridges at once. TWO. I mean it's not that hard changing games but WOW. They had ambition thinking you would want to play two games on this handheld.

The line up ON PAPER looked pretty good. Resident Evil 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Sonic Jam, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Fighers Megamix... probably more I've forgetten about but it was a good looking lineup. Metal Gear Solid and SOTN were supposed to be released as well but never made it. I was happy seeing so many titles from Sega Saturn making its way to the Game.com I had to have one. Imagine my excitement come Xmas 1997!

.... And also disapointment. Even as a kid I knew this thing sucked. The screen had a really bad refresh rate which made sonic unplayable. Duke Nukem 3D and Resident Evil 2 were the same games in title alone. Duke Nukem was kinda like an on the rails dungeon crawler and Resident Evil 2 felt like it had been made for hypercard from a System 7 era mac.

It's a shame, really it could have been excellent. Instead we got some awful (home made by tiger I believe) ports of awesome games, to fairly awful hardware.

I believe the revision two Game.com Pocket was a bit better, but first impressions last and the console didn't make it past the year 2000.

So, what's your favorite Game.com memories? Good or bad!

Last edited:

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
So, what's your favorite Game.com memories? Good or bad!

Reading the LOLzworthy reviews in all the gaming mags of the time. I never owned one, but after reading those I knew to stay away.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I got one on fire sale clearance at KB Toys back in the day. It wasn't great by any means but could play a mean game of Scrabble. :)

Last edited:

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
This is the best game.com thread i've ever read.

Spoiler:
It's also the worst.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
The best thing I can think of about the Game.com is that to date I've never seen a used one in the wild, never on craigslist, or anywhere else short of ebay. Given how awesome the screen was(n't) I can't say I feel bad about that in the least bit from a lack of ownership angle. That said I have been curious just how awful it is, but I won't pay up to find out how bad it sucks either. Maybe some day some .01% sliver of a chance I find one of those turds locally in some dumpster box at a flea market for a few bucks I'd grab it for a laugh just to find out if anything just because I used to enjoy their little LCD handhelds of the 80s and 90s and still own a few. The sad thing is from what I can tell those handhelds are on a league of some order superior to the game.com which is amazing.

Black IcE

Earl's Long Lost Brother,
15 Year Member
I vote to change the and subject to "The best R-Zone thread EVER", or "The best Casio Loopy thread EVER"

It might gain a little more steam. The Game.com is the video game equivalent of discussing a pile of dog shit. I had a friend in the late 90s that had one, and I can personally attest to the dog shit level of quality.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Hmm it's possible if dog shit has a good name, you just slandered it.

Black IcE

15 Year Member
I apologize that I insulted dog shit and put it on the same level as the Game.com. My mistake.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
I apologize that I insulted dog shit and put it on the same level as the Game.com. My mistake.

Playing with dog poo in public is slightly less frowned upon than playing Game.com to the casual observer.

Classic Game Room compares the Game.com pocket to the Neo Geo in this informative review

Tanooki

War Room Troll
True fact, more people willingly will visibly out in the public eye pick up dog shit than a game.com (and not necessarily while using a plastic bag.)

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Twenty games according to Wikipedia would make for a complete collection. Probably a lot easier to accomplish that than trying to get all the Virtual Boy games (U.S.) since Jack Bros. probably still goes for a pretty penny.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Don't forget waterworld as it's pretty bad too among the US releases. I think there were just 14 in the states and loose most of them aren't bad, but at least 2 suck price wise but if you go Japanese ugh, bend over it's far less painful.

Black IcE

15 Year Member
I wonder if there will ever be a Game.com Everdrive ???!!!???

aaronjmill

Zero's Secretary
True fact, more people willingly will visibly out in the public eye pick up dog shit than a game.com (and not necessarily while using a plastic bag.)

$250-350 depending on who you're buying from is the current going rate. I know because it's the last US Virtual Boy cart I need. :/

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Handheld Systems
Discuss the NGPC and other handheld systems & games. (except the Game.com....)
ban plz.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I heard the best Game.com games are the ones you leave sealed in the box.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
For your viewing pleasure I found this today. Haha

88580eeeda732b5e20610e2c93864a3f.jpg

2acae4729c8923bafd255bac416e673d.jpg