NES enthusiast thread

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Well here is my NES collection. Stuff I have had since my parents bought me a NES in the late 80's to stuff I have collected over the years.

View attachment 39604

Dope setup there. Thanks for sharing. Been forever since I've played Willow. A zeldaish clone, correct?
I remember one late night at about the age of 12. The right amount of pizza roll grease on the buttons, empty Dr Pepper cans, and my buddy passed out on the floor while I kept playing. That was how I beat megaman 3. Game was hard as fuck and I doubt I could do it again now. I did castlevania one and two years later on a friends modded Xbox. We would pick an nes or snes game for the day and work at it until we had it. As you can likely gather I didn't have a lot of girlfriends as a teen.

But I did have a pretty sweet nes setup. I'd like to get back into it someday. Maybe this little mini nes that's coming out will fill that hole. But without ice hockey, contra, or maniac mansion I'm not sure.
Mega Man 3 was the only Mega Man I could beat.

I might be in the minority, but I preferred Super C to Contra. Probably familiarity more than anything else.

I used to play Super C like a motherfucker. I think I could even 1cc it back it the day. I couldn't come near that now.

First console I ever played, I remember playing SMB on an old black and white TV. Some absolutely baller run and guns on the system too, Contra, Heavy Barrel, Guerilla War (Guevara) etc. I'll post my collection at some point.

Guerilla War is my go to cart, such a great SNK game that feels faithful to the original whilst being way more fun and forgiving.

Didn't it play like Ikari Warriors? I've got to fire that shit up and try it again.

Iron Tank was another hard SNK game. I think I bought it off someone on ebay years ago. No wait - I played it on SNK 0 Collection on PSP.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Yea willow is a zelda clone. Great game too. But my favorite NES game is Crystalis. Action adventure RPG and absolutely amazing. I remember walking into toys r us to pick up a new game and thats what the old man picked. I have loved it ever since. Thats that copy on the shelf.

And its from SNK!

Most of those boxed games are from my childhood.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Yea willow is a zelda clone. Great game too. But my favorite NES game is Crystalis. Action adventure RPG and absolutely amazing. I remember walking into toys r us to pick up a new game and thats what the old man picked. I have loved it ever since. Thats that copy on the shelf.

And its from SNK!

Most of those boxed games are from my childhood.

Oh yea Crystalis! I had that game too, but it must be in storage. Tough game, but damn was it fun. I even had the small strategy guide that I think you could mail out for. Didn't they do a port on GBC?

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Oh yea Crystalis! I had that game too, but it must be in storage. Tough game, but damn was it fun. I even had the small strategy guide that I think you could mail out for. Didn't they do a port on GBC?

The port on gbc was ok. It never did the original justice.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Yeah the GBC Crystalis neutered the original game. There were few physical changes to the play itself, it was made a little easier, but what really ruined it was they gutted all the music out and replaced it with utter garbage that was between annoying and bland to listen to. If it had the original score it would be pretty solid still, but as it stands I've kept my NES game instead.

I don't have any pics, don't want to clutter the thread with a list of over 50 games, but here's a fast way to skim it: http://tanooki.byethost16.com/nintendo.html
I've noted anything I have extra of with a (CI) or (CI+Maps) if i have the instructions. I don't keep boxes, but that said I have an unlisted CIB Contra sitting on a shelf here I found recently, and a sealed yellow 2nd release of Metroid I keep in a shadowbox as I love the artwork. I don't keep sealed usually as it's stupid, but I still have my original silver cart+manual so I leave it be. A few months back I did have Dragon Warrior 4 and the strategy guide, but I used it in part of my picking up my MVS cabinet which was a well worth it trade.

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
This is what I have after my everdrive selloff. Some of this I've had since release, about half has been got in the last 5 years. Some killer garage sale deals in there

LQKcawg.jpg

KV7TBu6.jpg

A good portion of the ones in the first pic will get sold also, everything in the far right stack and the CIBs next to it are slated to go

Not the best pics, sorry about that.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Well here's mine

20160930_221414.jpg

List:
Adventure Island
Adventure Island II
Battletoads
Blaster Master
Castlevania
Contra
Disney's DuckTales
Double Dragon Ii
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior Ii
Final Fantasy
Ghosts N Goblins
Gradius
Gun.smoke
Ice Hockey
Jackal
Journey to Silius
Kirby's Adventure
Legend of Zelda
Little Nemo
Megaman 2
Megaman 3
Megaman 4
Metroid
Mike Tyson's Punch Out
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Ii
River City Ransom
Startropics
Super C
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Super Mario 2
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Ii
Tetris
Wizards and Warriors
Zelda Ii
Zodas Revenge
Everdrive.

FC
Gun Nac
Nuts N Milk
Super Mario Bros 3

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Some good collections there guys - keep em coming. I don't see Double Dragon III in many collections. Damn that was a hard game. I beat the first two, but never beat the 3rd game.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
Personally I like using the holy water. The trick is to throw the holy water at one of the platforms, then when he floats to it he gets stuck. You can time extra holy water attacks so that he can't move anymore, and you whip him in between while he's stunned. He goes down in just a few seconds, so you can beat him before the flying sickles become too much of a problem.

This is the way I'm trying to do it but the hallway with the axe knights and medusa heads are making it really hard to get there without dying at least once and losing the holy water.

One of my other favorites is Mike Tysons Punchout, threw it in the other day and made it to Super Macho Man aka the bane of all my hopes of beating this game. Screw Mike, getting the timing down on the spin punch has eluded me forever

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
That's a very nice collection. I see you have that honeybee converter, is the ribbon still attached?

BTW Nice set of Genny games at the bottom.

Thanks, dude.

When I got it, the ribbon was gone. So I went to a fabric store and bought a short length of the closest match to the original that I could find, and opened the converter up and glued it in.

We should post Genny collection pics next.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Thanks, dude.

When I got it, the ribbon was gone. So I went to a fabric store and bought a short length of the closest match to the original that I could find, and opened the converter up and glued it in.

We should post Genny collection pics next.

The original ripped on mine and I did the same thing as you, screwed down a new hole in the ribbon, applied some gorilla glue, and added some tape. The BLW will probably come off before the ribbon does lol.

I agree, we definitely need to start and Genny/Md thread.

Last edited:

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
This is the way I'm trying to do it but the hallway with the axe knights and medusa heads are making it really hard to get there without dying at least once and losing the holy water.

One of my other favorites is Mike Tysons Punchout, threw it in the other day and made it to Super Macho Man aka the bane of all my hopes of beating this game. Screw Mike, getting the timing down on the spin punch has eluded me forever

I played that so much I actually got the timing down and could beat him. Could never beat Mike though.

Nice collection. We all seem to have the same core classics.

I keep lots of my stuff out of pure nostagia. Some of the shit I liked then I wouldn't touch now, like Target Renegade. Gremlins 2 is another one. I'll have to play it again and see how it holds up.

I don't have a huge collection because as a kid I didn't have a job, or money. I always biked down to the hood and rented my games.

How's Lee Travino's Fighting golf?

Last edited:

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I don't see Double Dragon III in many collections. Damn that was a hard game.

That is one of the ones I've had for a while. I have never beat it either. But at the time I got it I was falling out of gaming, and I also thought it was pretty fucking hard. I think I have unfairly held something against it because of those reasons, and have not played it much. It might be time to give it another chance, before it gets sold, maybe it can save its spot in collection.

(I doubt it though)

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
That is one of the ones I've had for a while. I have never beat it either. But at the time I got it I was falling out of gaming, and I also thought it was pretty fucking hard. I think I have unfairly held something against it because of those reasons, and have not played it much. It might be time to give it another chance, before it gets sold, maybe it can save its spot in collection.

(I doubt it though)

Yea, I hear ya. Ever play the arcade version? Holy fuck was that a weird game. It was a pioneer in microtransactions, as you could put in an extra quarter and get a power up or whatever.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

(I doubt it though)

tighecg

Armored Scrum Object
I think the Genie might just have to get a workout for this.

I played the arcade a couple of times, and I vaguely remember having a WTF moment with those power ups. I don't remember it very clearly though, that was a lot of bong hits ago.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Cool…a good collection thread. It's nice to see these every now and again because things change and so do people's collections. I sold off a large chunk of my NES stuff about 2 years ago and boiled it down to either games that I really love, or games that are basically worthless so there's no use selling them.

My current boxed favorites:
nes%203_zpso2iagg8h.jpg

The rest of my NES games (and some SNES/Gen) in the mix:
nes%202_zpsy6lg1qub.jpg

My "go to" games that I keep upstairs:
nes%201_zpsgpzak7ex.jpg

Here's my boxed systems…I no longer have them on display at home, I do have some in my office at work:
Game_room_2009_02.jpg

photo_zpsgds2qvoz.jpg

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Cool…a good collection thread. It's nice to see these every now and again because things change and so do people's collections. I sold off a large chunk of my NES stuff about 2 years ago and boiled it down to either games that I really love, or games that are basically worthless so there's no use selling them.

My current boxed favorites:
nes%203_zpso2iagg8h.jpg

The rest of my NES games (and some SNES/Gen) in the mix:
nes%202_zpsy6lg1qub.jpg

My "go to" games that I keep upstairs:
nes%201_zpsgpzak7ex.jpg

Here's my boxed systems…I no longer have them on display at home, I do have some in my office at work:
Game_room_2009_02.jpg

photo_zpsgds2qvoz.jpg

Another great collection. It's funny how mostly every nes gamer has the same must have series of games.

Dat powerglove. For da real nes ballers.

Also a short and sweet genny collection.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Some good collections there guys - keep em coming. I don't see Double Dragon III in many collections. Damn that was a hard game. I beat the first two, but never beat the 3rd game.

I'm not posting pics of all my shit, but I do have Double Dragon III. You're right, that game is hard, I could beat it back in the day but I can't even come close now.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
The way to play Double Dragon III is to make heavy use of the somersault throw as well as baiting enemies into the hurricane kick.

Also, knowing which special characters to use against bosses.

It's not that bad.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm not posting pics of all my shit, but I do have Double Dragon III. You're right, that game is hard, I could beat it back in the day but I can't even come close now.

Damn bro. I remember back in the days being able to get pretty far but never beating it. I beat the game last year using the game genie invincibility but even with the gg fighting the final boss was a chore.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The way to play Double Dragon III is to make heavy use of the somersault throw as well as baiting enemies into the hurricane kick.

Also, knowing which special characters to use against bosses.

It's not that bad.

Bingo. Another move that was great to spam is Chin Saimei's swan dive. Dude's punch is strong as hell too.