Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neo Geo titles coming to PS4 Arcade Archives

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclaude View Post
    Let me rephrase that as an ethical question... so according to you using piracy and emulation is neither wrong nor bad, i.e. you're doing the right thing and omit to be the villain here. Hence you are using a 161 AES, in which case DEG uses both of those afore mentioned "technologies" for commercial use. All this is "right and just", if it "befits" (or benefits?) the creator of the original games and hardware.

In which way does this chain of events (Chinese piracy, Canadian fraud & finally your purchase) "befit" SNK and all their countless employees, which were involved in the creation of these games?
    how is it piracy if the MVS multicart is converted to AES, the chinese company did it originally. All i am saying is people should stop bitching about their emulation technology being used to release official games

Timid Neo Newbie

Ninja Combat Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by vaillian View Post
    how is it piracy if the MVS multicart.....
    haha.gif

Armored Scrum Object

I was browsing through PSN via PS3 last night, noticed SNKP had delisted all their Neo titles that had been previously available for PS3/PSP. Their Minis line was still there, as well as their regular digital releases & PSOne Classics, but all the NG titles have been removed.

Lasso Champion

i never said that using emulators/piracy is bad or wrong. I was just saying that using this technology for commercial use is right and just if it befits the creator of the original games and hardware.
    Depends on the license. Only action a company can take against an emulator is either a.) Prove they are assisting in copyright theft of video games, or b.) Violating patent/trademark law, or c.) Reverse engineered it with ill got information. And all they get to do is halt distribution and acquire monetary damages. They can of course use that as leverage to buy the emulator.

Legally a company cannot use the emulator without permission from its creator, the main reason you see emulators in comercial products is either, they made their own, or they got permission (An open source license can grant commercial use.)

Of course, its rather difficult for an emulator creator to go after the company since he'd have to lawyer up. There's a similar case http://torquemag.io/2013/03/busybox/. Many of the video players we use have GPL'ed or BSD Licensed video/audio decoders. This software is based on patents owned by MPEG-LA. Hence, even if a blu ray player uses the x264 library to handle MPEG-4; they have to pay MPEG-LA for the codec patent, and have to abide by the terms of the GPL, releasing any code modifications, and attributing the license.

Another point to make here that's related: Even if a work is derivative of another copyrighted work, the company does not own the derivative, its just the derivative's author can't distribute it without the companies permission.

Granted, if SNK is using MAME code, most likely its either BSD or GPL licensed, so they can so long as they follow the terms of the license. http://www.mamedev.org/?p=422

Chang's Grocer

how is it piracy if the MVS multicart is converted to AES, the chinese company did it originally. All i am saying is people should stop bitching about their emulation technology being used to release official games
    Some people, including yours truly, share the opinion that charging for a product that is based on stolen goods is theft, piracy & does not "befit" the original creators of those stolen goods. But it is a delicate matter, indeed, and I wouldn't go so far as to condemn every hobby project done by passionate coders as theft.

A company like Hamster does not consist of passionate hobbyists, though. It is a strictly commercial enterprise and that's where I would draw the line. But that's just me and your opinion is just as valid as mine.

The problem is, that if we'd agree to evaluate everything in terms of black & white, then everything would be either theft (dictatorship), or a perfectly justified action (anarchy). Therefore every case has to be judged and evaluated separately, including possible references to other cases. But even then, there'll still be an uncomfortably lot of space left for subjectivity.

Morden's Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by oliverclaude View Post
    Some people, including yours truly, share the opinion that charging for a product that is based on stolen goods is theft, piracy & does not "befit" the original creators of those stolen goods. But it is a delicate matter, indeed, and I wouldn't go so far as to condemn every hobby project done by passionate coders as theft.

A company like Hamster does not consist of passionate hobbyists, though. It is a strictly commercial enterprise and that's where I would draw the line. But that's just me and your opinion is just as valid as mine.

The problem is, that if we'd agree to evaluate everything in terms of black & white, then everything would be either theft (dictatorship), or a perfectly justified action (anarchy). Therefore every case has to be judged and evaluated separately, including possible references to other cases. But even then, there'll still be an uncomfortably lot of space left for subjectivity.
    i think youre confused

King's Dry Cleaner

i think youre confused

Chang's Grocer

i think youre confused
    Took you some time...

Crazed MVS Addict

New update:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/...ssics-inbound/

The following games will launch in 2016:*

Metal Slug
    Samurai Shodown
    Alpha Mission II
    Fatal Fury
    World Heroes

And the following games will arrive in early 2017:*

Neo Turf Masters
    Nam-1975
    Personally excited about Metal Slug 1 and NTM.

To be honest, its goods news but Im specially tired with this "launching titles once again".

Why dont they launch other titles like FF Real Bout, World Heroes Perfect, Metal Slug X....

Pupil of Bonus-Kun

Metal Slug X would be great!

Guerilla Warrior

Considering how much people don't play it on the Steam version I dunno if I want to see Metal Slug X. I guess I'm still stupid enough to buy it again if it has online. Now Metal Slug 6 would be nice since it never got a proper console port with online.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Quote Originally Posted by neolove View Post
    Metal Slug X would be great!
    Metal Slug Anthology is available on the PS4. I bought the digital download, it has Metal Slug 1, 2, X, 3, 4, 5 AND 6.

Crossed Swords Squire

Really looking forward to that NTM!!! The only version I own is the Neo geo pocket version and that's the only golf game that makes me feels fun. Either way I'm gonna be on the lookout for the CD version. I remember hearing it had a extra course that was very challenging.

Kuroko's Training Dummy

Cham Cham's Banana

How do the ps4 releases play and feel?

I hated the lag, slowness of the PSOne and PS2 digital titles released on ps3 especially Capcom V SNK....horrible!
    Looking for:
    MVS - Samurai Shodown V Special, Matrimelee.
    Atomiswave - Samurai VI, Metal Slug VI.
    Dreamcast PAL Console.

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    I was browsing through PSN via PS3 last night, noticed SNKP had delisted all their Neo titles that had been previously available for PS3/PSP. Their Minis line was still there, as well as their regular digital releases & PSOne Classics, but all the NG titles have been removed.
    I discovered this tonight also. How sad. I was fortunate to have downloaded them all previously, but its a shame they are all gone now.

NEST Puppet

I recently watched this review of Samurai Shodown I for the PlayStation 4 and felt tempted to download it. However, the fact that it doesn't include player-versus-player online turned me off. Think I'm just gonna wait for Samurai Shodown II to come to the PS4 since it's probably my overall favorite in the franchise.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Arthur Schopenhauer

NEST Puppet

Picked up Neo Turf Masters for XB1 tonight. It seems like a decent enough port for $8 but it doesn't touch the quality of those Neo Geo Station ports M2 did. Has some filter/scanline options (turn the default filter off immediately), didn't notice any bad lag except for the new menus--once you're in the game it's fine. High score and Caravan are neat enough, kinda cool there's an online leaderboard for that.

NeoGumby's Sycophant

Warning: Metal Slug 2 on PS4 has slowdowns. Almost all previous ports, including the PS2 collection and PS3 NG Station had this issue fixed (and I expect it to be so on Steam), but it's kept intact on the PS4 port, and probably will be on the inevitable Switch / XB One releases (unless it gets patched, in which case I will post about it here)

Haomaru's Blade Shiner

Quote Originally Posted by k'_127 View Post
    Warning: Metal Slug 2 on PS4 has slowdowns. Almost all previous ports, including the PS2 collection and PS3 NG Station had this issue fixed (and I expect it to be so on Steam), but it's kept intact on the PS4 port, and probably will be on the inevitable Switch / XB One releases (unless it gets patched, in which case I will post about it here)
    Good to know. Thanks for the heads up! I've supported all the ACA ps4 releases so far. I suppose I can't fault them too much for releasing the game as it originally was, warts and all.

超えるべき奴がいる。

北斗神拳は無敵だ。

NeoGumby's Sycophant

Sengoku 2, Magical Drop 2 and the Last Blade 1 dropped on PS4.

FF2 is also coming next, and AoF2 is also planned for XB1.

No update for MS2's slowdowns so far.

NeoGumby's Sycophant

Fatal Fury Special was added to PS4, XB1 and Switch.

Pulstar and 2020 Super Baseball are available too on PS4 (not sure about other platforms)

Art of Typing Wiz

Quote Originally Posted by k'_127 View Post
    Why are you actually warning people about what we all knew was going to be obvious since the original game has slowdown as well?

Thread Information