Neo Geo titles coming to PS4 Arcade Archives

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
The people who wrote these emulators stole the Intellectual property of the original Hardware manufacturers in the first place, everyone has every right to use their thievery technology and making legal games who are actually supporting SNK and others. Why are you defending them like i dont get it.

No, they didn't. You are ill-informed about emulation.

Reverse engineering can be problematic when it's based upon ill-gotten source information, which isn't the case for your average console or arcade emulator. It's not illegal or even morally ambiguous to figure it out on your own and/or use publicly available info to that end.

Even if you put all of this aside, your assertion that you should just be able to 'steal code right back' continues to be ridiculous. In your view, these should be two wrongs, not a righting of a wrong.

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
A company like Hamster has got to have inside access to technical information enabling advantages that are unavailable to the hobbyist community routinely figuring this stuff out on their own (and earning incremental gains over years).

Accessing the Unibios menu in XBLA Fatal Fury Special never loses its charm.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Why are you defending them like i dont get it.

I'm not defending anyone, merely stated a fact, that there's a difference if you charge for what you stole. Like a Robin Hood, who'd put a tax on his donations. Hence, there is no "fair" between Hamster & MAME.

To create "their" property, those companies stole, too, calling it inspiration. R-Type/Pulstar, SFII/FF etc. They exploit the ideas of others and fired them afterwards like Nintendo did with Gunpei. Countless other examples out there.

Law is not justice by default -- if you make that clear in a non-commercial statement like MAME, it becomes a manifest, an unrepeatable gesture. If you charge for it like Hamster, it becomes theft.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
lol, arguing with vaillian.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
That's twice already for me, and the last time I treat this kind of drive-by ignorance seriously.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm not defending anyone, merely stated a fact, that there's a difference if you charge for what you stole. Like a Robin Hood, who'd put a tax on his donations. Hence, there is no "fair" between Hamster & MAME.

To create "their" property, those companies stole, too, calling it inspiration. R-Type/Pulstar, SFII/FF etc. They exploit the ideas of others and fired them afterwards like Nintendo did with Gunpei. Countless other examples out there.

Law is not justice by default -- if you make that clear in a non-commercial statement like MAME, it becomes a manifest, an unrepeatable gesture. If you charge for it like Hamster, it becomes theft.

Yeah but who is the poor and weak here? A lot of people who use these emulators have enough money to buy crappy games like Call of Duty or Overwatch on their PC, why stealing from a small company now like SNK? Why not going after Activision Blizzard and trying to emulate their latest games? Maybe because they would sue their assess, thats why.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
No, they didn't. You are ill-informed about emulation.

Reverse engineering can be problematic when it's based upon ill-gotten source information, which isn't the case for your average console or arcade emulator. It's not illegal or even morally ambiguous to figure it out on your own and/or use publicly available info to that end.

Even if you put all of this aside, your assertion that you should just be able to 'steal code right back' continues to be ridiculous. In your view, these should be two wrongs, not a righting of a wrong.

I disagree, reverse engineering isnt an Intellectual property. Its a way to copy another hardware. I mean you dont see people defending certain Chinese knock offs of the Iphone or Galaxy phones, saying its just reverse engineering.

SNK invented the hardware which these emulators try to emulate in the first place. During the 6th Gen they had a dame good emulator for PS2 which was used for their ports. So they already invented the technology for reverse engineering Neo Geo hardware too.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Yeah but who is the poor and weak here? A lot of people who use these emulators have enough money to buy crappy games like Call of Duty or Overwatch on their PC, why stealing from a small company now like SNK? Why not going after Activision Blizzard and trying to emulate their latest games? Maybe because they would sue their assess, thats why.
giphy.gif

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Why not going after Activision Blizzard and trying to emulate their latest games? Maybe because they would sue their assess, thats why.

SNK invented the hardware which these emulators try to emulate in the first place. During the 6th Gen they had a dame good emulator for PS2 which was used for their ports. So they already invented the technology for reverse engineering Neo Geo hardware too.

ewqUWgl.gif

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah but who is the poor and weak here?

To speak on the behalf of the poor and weak in order to support them is a noble cause, indeed. But didn't you at some point buy the AES 161-in-1 by DEG based on a Chinese bootleg? What about your pro-conversion policies? There might be a slightly ambiguous discrepancy in your philanthropic ambitions.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm neither in the position to throw stones, nor is it my intention to do so. It just so happens, that your own "stone" developed boomerang qualities and I just hope you're a better fielder than a pitcher...

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
I already got the roms.

Lol, as soon as I saw this and the posts that followed, something in my head was like, "This phrase looks like something read in the New Member FAQ...."

Sure enough, section C2. Well played xsq. Well played.

Violent Ryo

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Sup xsq. I think everybody does, but I try not to miss an opportunity to support SNK releases. Unfortunately, it seems that most of their attempts at steady rereleases conclude early.

SNK ps2 collections stopped at vol. 1 and vol. 0 was not released in the usa. (The japanese compilations were excellent, but the ports on the SNK Classics vol 1. release were flawed anyway)

PS3/PSP/Vita Neo Geo Station releases were excellent and featured fairly robust features, but stopped early and never really made it to many of the later or obscure titles like I was hoping for.

IOS releases are fun but seem sporadic and will likely never cover the entire neo geo library.

Steam releases have been plentiful so far and feature a lot of quality titles. I hope these releases continue.

I totally agree. I really liked the NeoGeo Station and was hoping the PS4 would continue it or make it available on the PS4 store..

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
To speak on the behalf of the poor and weak in order to support them is a noble cause, indeed. But didn't you at some point buy the AES 161-in-1 by DEG based on a Chinese bootleg? What about your pro-conversion policies? There might be a slightly ambiguous discrepancy in your philanthropic ambitions.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm neither in the position to throw stones, nor is it my intention to do so. It just so happens, that your own "stone" developed boomerang qualities and I just hope you're a better fielder than a pitcher...

i never said that using emulators/piracy is bad or wrong. I was just saying that using this technology for commercial use is right and just if it befits the creator of the original games and hardware.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
What you said is that it's okay to steal people's work and sell it, as long as it's done by a corporation with licensing rights.

zWRh8Kw.gif

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I have AA Nemesis/Gradius and if the emulation is as competent it might be worth a try.

They're overpriced as fuck though. And lol at the "trophy" support for the games, you basically win them all by dicking around in the emu menu (I'm not joking the game gives you generic ass trophies for acessing the manual or the options menu for example, there are no game specific trophy)

Accessing the Unibios menu in XBLA Fatal Fury Special never loses its charm.

lol I need to find my old XBOX360 to see it with my own eyes, why can't I find anything about it online? (esp. images and videos of it)

e: hardware designs aren't copyrighteable so you have a meager 15+ something years of patent protection then the hardware design is free for all to use; also some forms of reverse engineering are legal (look at your PC you're using to post for a minute, try to find an IBM logo there). Computer programs on the other hand are copyrightable so they'll be illegal to replicate through our lifetimes and beyond.
And no I did not read the gay ass argument that went on here, just felt like writing stuff about emulation.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
i never said that using emulators/piracy is bad or wrong. I was just saying that using this technology for commercial use is right and just if it befits the creator of the original games and hardware.

Let me rephrase that as an ethical question... so according to you using piracy and emulation is neither wrong nor bad, i.e. you're doing the right thing and omit to be the villain here. Hence you are using a 161 AES, in which case DEG uses both of those afore mentioned "technologies" for commercial use. All this is "right and just", if it "befits" (or benefits?) the creator of the original games and hardware.

In which way does this chain of events (Chinese piracy, Canadian fraud & finally your purchase) "befit" SNK and all their countless employees, which were involved in the creation of these games?