Neo Geo titles coming to PS4 Arcade Archives

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm still trying to find out if they are backwards compatible with the PS3 Neo Geo Station ports.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I already got the roms.

Sup xsq. I think everybody does, but I try not to miss an opportunity to support SNK releases. Unfortunately, it seems that most of their attempts at steady rereleases conclude early.

SNK ps2 collections stopped at vol. 1 and vol. 0 was not released in the usa. (The japanese compilations were excellent, but the ports on the SNK Classics vol 1. release were flawed anyway)

PS3/PSP/Vita Neo Geo Station releases were excellent and featured fairly robust features, but stopped early and never really made it to many of the later or obscure titles like I was hoping for.

IOS releases are fun but seem sporadic and will likely never cover the entire neo geo library.

Steam releases have been plentiful so far and feature a lot of quality titles. I hope these releases continue.

snkjoe

New Challenger
Nice never got them for the ps3 but looking forward for them on the ps4.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
- No online
- Arcade / MVS mode only (I assume)
- Super plain menus
- No extras, bug fixes, balance updates, ..... etc

These have the laziest emulation I've seen in recent years. While I don't care for the announced line up (except for MS1), I hope it doesn't extend to reach the 2 games I've been waiting for the most on PSN: SS2 and FFS

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Anyone have experience with these Arcade releases from Hamster? Their catalog is pretty diverse, so far.

For my money, M2's treatment of SEGA's 3D classics is the gold standard for how to treat beloved classic games in modern systems. It's always nice to see SNK's catalog continuing to circulate, but it also continues to miss that complete package that many of us keep looking for anytime this stuff gets announced. Either way, I hope this series gets to go on long enough so we can move beyond past the really early games and a handful of really late ones. Get some meat from the middle!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have a few of them and mostly play Double Dragon. Hamster is no M2, but the emulations are pretty good. My only gripe is that I can't turn the background off and make the image fill the screen at the correct aspect ratio. However it does get pretty close and gives you some graphic options, it looks nice with the scanlines set just right. It's barebones, but I'm happy with it. I do think they cost a little too much for what they are (I think DD was 8 bucks) and that limits how many titles I end up buying.

Half the time when I turn on my PS4 now I just end up playing Double Dragon, Ms. Pac Man and Galaga these days.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have a few of them and mostly play Double Dragon. Hamster is no M2, but the emulations are pretty good. My only gripe is that I can't turn the background off and make the image fill the screen at the correct aspect ratio. However it does get pretty close and gives you some graphic options, it looks nice with the scanlines set just right. It's barebones, but I'm happy with it. I do think they cost a little too much for what they are (I think DD was 8 bucks) and that limits how many titles I end up buying.

Half the time when I turn on my PS4 now I just end up playing Double Dragon, Ms. Pac Man and Galaga these days.

Thanks for the impressions, that's about what I expected. I might give Metal Slug a shot and maybe one more outside the SNK catalog. Double Dragon is actually fairly tempting... My PS4 spends most of its life as a Netflix and HBO player, but occasionally something like Mankind Divided comes along to shake it off of dormant.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Considering every one of those titles have a Neo Geo Station release with great netcode I'm not sure why they would make the releases bare bones.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Why would I wanna buy these for my PS4 when I could just throw my carts in one of my Omegas and fire that up?

DracoBlade

Cham Cham's Banana
Yeah if these were/are the Neo Geo Station ports by M2 I would be interested to double dip but otherwise, tough sell for me personally.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Probably due to unauthorized MAME code, like on their "Oretachi" discs.

It is really goddamn infuriating to continue seeing this happen with commercial emulation efforts. A company like Hamster has got to have inside access to technical information enabling advantages that are unavailable to the hobbyist community routinely figuring this stuff out on their own (and earning incremental gains over years). Yet, multiple commercial products don't seem to have any issue with simply stealing open source code and violating the license. What's anyone going to do, sue them? What a cynical way to deliver cheap: steal.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I guess they figure why not is right, it's cheap, and if they own the rights to the stuff some emulator author is aping with smarts, stolen documents, or a mix of both they just figure fuck 'em. Good luck suing over an emulator when you're emulating something the target of the suit has the rights to that is being emulated.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
I already got the roms.

Wait? So you bash me for playing on a Multicart but you yourself are playing Roms which is kinda piracy?

Anyways its still worth having them on the PS4 for the Trophies etc :)

Last edited:

gallo

n00b
I saw Contra released the other week and thought about it. Seems the price is a little to high for me to take the plunge but they have been on sale here and there.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
o_O ... How much are they charging for Contra? The 360 version with online play costs $5.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
That does sound a bit expensive for something that's been a $5 game since at least '07 on 360.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
lol, that sentence/quote still get's a rise out of people :keke:

Wait? So you bash me for playing on a Multicart but you yourself are playing Roms which is kinda piracy?
I don't have a problem with piracy, you goon. I might have criticized multicarts for their bad roms and shitty hardware. And I "bashed" you because you support conversions (=needless destruction of carts). Get your facts straight.
You're still a pedo also.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sounds pretty fair since their emulators are unauthorized too

What a ridiculous thing to say.
If you believe that what emulator authors have done is wrong (it's not, whether you consider this legally or morally), how is it fair to steal their work for a licensed commercial effort? This is an action that is unequivocally wrong and cynical. Hamster (and others doing the same, like Hyperkin) first believe that no one will discover their dishonesty and even if it should come to light calculate that they won't get called on it. After all, they have more resources than a single individual emulator author doing this work as a hobby on their own time, right?

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
lol, that sentence/quote still get's a rise out of people :keke:

I don't have a problem with piracy, you goon. I might have criticized multicarts for their bad roms and shitty hardware. And I "bashed" you because you support conversions (=needless destruction of carts). Get your facts straight.
You're still a pedo also.
cool story faggo
Except one service is free, the other is not. See the difference? Redistribution in commercial activities should always be prohibited.

What a ridiculous thing to say.
If you believe that what emulator authors have done is wrong (it's not, whether you consider this legally or morally), how is it fair to steal their work for a licensed commercial effort? This is an action that is unequivocally wrong and cynical. Hamster (and others doing the same, like Hyperkin) first believe that no one will discover their dishonesty and even if it should come to light calculate that they won't get called on it. After all, they have more resources than a single individual emulator author doing this work as a hobby on their own time, right?

The people who wrote these emulators stole the Intellectual property of the original Hardware manufacturers in the first place, everyone has every right to use their thievery technology and making legal games who are actually supporting SNK and others. Why are you defending them like i dont get it.