• SUPER MARIO LAND

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • SUPER MARIO LAND 2: 6 GOLDEN COINS

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
haven't played sml 1 for twenty years, but i remember hating it. at the time, as far as i recall, the first game just didn't feel like a mario game. but i have to play it again and see what i think of it now. where as 2 has the same quality as the console games.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I can't choose between Super Mario Land 1 and 2 right now.... I just can't, they're both too good. Ugh, this poll is evil!

I really liked Wario Land 2 as a kid. I don't know if I'd enjoy it now.

Wario Land 3 is an absolute mess.

Wario Land is...OK. But not great.

For me, Wario Land can be summed as:

1 = Classic, just as good as SML1 and 2, only different

VB = Best game on the Virtual Boy, just a notch or two below WL1.

2 = Nowhere near as good, too story driven and not greedy enough

3 = Haven't played yet

4 = A visual and audible beast of a GBA launch title, finally brought the greed factor back and is loads of fun.

To me, the main defining factor of Wario Land is the player's greediness. In the original Wario Land, collecting coins and treasures is the main focus of the game. However much you collect determines the kind of ending you get. It's kind of like Metroid, just with coins instead of time. Wario Land 1 really feels like a Gunpei Yokoi game for that reason. Wario Land 2 dropped a lot of what made Wario Land 1 so good.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Does anyone else think that Warios Castle at the end of 2 is a bunch of bullshit?

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Does anyone else think that Warios Castle at the end of 2 is a bunch of bullshit?

It's definitely a steep ascent in terms of difficulty but certainly manageable.

Poured over the artwork for these two games today. Both feature some of my favourite Nintendo artwork. And the music in the space zone (SML2) is some of the best in the system.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, it's beatable, it's just that the whole game up to that point is very easy then BAM YOU DIE AND DIE AND DIE HAHAHAHA!

On the flip side, the last stage of Land 1 was a shooter stage that was very easy, but at least the last boss battle was really cool.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Wario's Castle in SML2 is definitely a jarring change in difficulty, I could never beat it as a kid. Nowadays I can beat it, but it is definitely a chore.

As for the shooter sections in SML1, I knew a lot of people growing up (including me) who found those sections very difficult. I know now to watch oncoming bullets and avoid them while just shooting. Tatanga (final boss) is definitely tough compared to the rest of the game, the only strategy that works is go up, down, up, down, up, down... So that you can easily avoid the next bullet.

Come to think of it, Kirby's Dream Land 1 also had a shooting game level, the boss fight against the blimp cannon (can't remember its name). I don't remember another Kirby game with a level like that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I didn't play the first Kirby game until my thirties since it was "kiddie shit." I could beat it in my sleep but that game rocked my face when I finally tried it.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
You never even played Kirby's Dream Land as a kid? I pity you, it's a hallmark GB game. It's just as classic as Metroid II and Super Mario Land and Tetris and everything else. It's a total visual and audible treat.

If you want a challenge, turn on Extra Mode (Up + A + Select) and lower the lives and hitpoints to 1 in the configuration menu (Down + B + Select). Now that is hard.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nope. I was actually 13 when it came out, the prime age where a kid thinks he's an adult and and doesn't want to play "kiddie" games or watch cartoons anymore.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
i enjoyed WL3 a ton, but im not feeling WL2. Idk what it is, but im not finding it fun

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Mario land 2 was my go to game. Mastered it and found every secret there was to find.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I remember it being harder than the rest of the game, but come on, it's the last castle. The game on the whole I found harder than Super Mario Land, but that's not saying much as it was as much a launch game as a tech demo of sorts would be my guess with the cool mix of audio, platforming and shooter stages albeit still being only 4 worlds short.

Speaking of Gameboy, ever seen the related comic book franchise 'Game Boy' Nintendo put out through Valiant Comics? It's actually pretty fun. In an earlier issue of it, one of the most popular stories has the SML game come to life with this little kid and Tatanga tries to invade the real world coming out of the Gameboy but of course Mario steps in it and tries to fix things with the kids help since they're tiny compared. Awhile after the old comics came out Nintendo in smaller numbers put out a hardback best of edition of the Nintendo Comics System (and another for Best of Super Mario Bros) which I have both of. I'm not saying buy it, it is worth it, but if you can find scans, website with flip pages or a PDF it's pretty amusing. The 'comics system' went beyond Gameboy into Captain N, a full on Metroid and Punchout comic, and some other solid stuff too.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
SML1 is fun, and I like the physics of Mario better in the fist game (he controls like a flea,) but overall its a really freaking easy video game. Last time I played it, I beat it in one bowel movement.

SML2 is betta

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I like Super Mario Land 2 more. Had some really interesting levels and a good soundtrack. My favorite world was the Halloween world.

ginoscope

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I actually have always preferred the first one. It felt like a more original game to me. I loved the shooters stages those just blew my mind as a kid.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Tough call but I went with SML2.

SML1 has some of the greatest music on the entire Game Boy. And the game is more realistic with what platform it's being played on.

But in the end when choosing which one to fire up, I almost always go SML2.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
2 is an amazing game that improves on everything.

The first is still fun to play, particularly because its fairly different from any other classic 2D Mario games of the era.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
I have both on 3DS VC but haven't touched them that much.