• SUPER MARIO LAND

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • SUPER MARIO LAND 2: 6 GOLDEN COINS

Votes: 27 69.2%

• Total voters

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Not counting 3 because that's Wario Land and was clearly only titled SML3 to make more money.

I never had SML2 strangely enough. Somehow I did play it because I remember playing it.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
2 is amazing for a gameboy game, but I've always loved the original. It was my first gameboy game, so the nostalgia probably makes me biased. From a technical standpoint part 2 is far superior.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
2 is a vast improvement to 1. I felt that 2 was very well-defined, had an overworld map, and the artwork and gameplay was much better and more in line to classic platforming. SML1 was good as a tech demo, but Mario's size was awful.

I did like the little submarine shmup level though, that was interesting.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Both.

Gunpei Yokoi produced some of my favorite games.

-SD-

Camel Slug
The second has larger sprites and an overworld map making it closer to a home game, and it is technically more impressive. But I really like the way the original shakes things up a bit with the shmup sections, different enemies and end of level bonus.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
The first was a game that knew its limitations but the second was a Game Boy game pretending to be an NES game.

????

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
SML1 for the World themes and shmup stages, although the leap in sprite work between the two titles is impressive. I would love to see some Progear style mini games in another Mario title for sure.

I have fun memories of clocking both games in an afternoon, the last castle in SML2 is nowhere near as hard as people say it is.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Sml2 for sure - it still holds up well and feels more like a "complete" game. Sml1 is classic for sure, but almost feels like a mini game or a collection of mini games.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Sml2 for sure - it still holds up well and feels more like a "complete" game. Sml1 is classic for sure, but almost feels like a mini game or a collection of mini games.

it feelslikeahandlehame gameshould feel

its takes 20 minutes to beat

by the time ur done thenur doing real life shit

maybe in 1989 peoplethought, ok, ibeat this game and then go on to do reallife shit

clearly this is incorrect because everyone of us wastes asmuch time as possible

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
it feelslikeahandlehame gameshould feel

its takes 20 minutes to beat

by the time ur done thenur doing real life shit

maybe in 1989 peoplethought, ok, ibeat this game and then go on to do reallife shit

clearly this is incorrect because everyone of us wastes asmuch time as possible

You drunk brah?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
No allowed TIE votes eh?

I've never been able to decide this one, not in the early 90s and not now. They're kind of incomparable.
SML= Graphically weak, audio not so, but plays like classic SMB1. A huge perk on this one, it's short, can be downed in well under an hour doing every stage with no shortcuts which makes for a really fun time if you want something to blast through to finish that's enjoyable.

SML2=It's kind of Super Mario World 'Lite' as it's very big, long game, lots of suits and styles of stages to deal with. The Mario 'super' sprite even is the sprite from SMW which blew me away when it came out (GB did this was my thoughts!) It has really great graphics and audio (if slightly less memorable than SML1), solid control, the suits I said, and will take awhile so it's an adventure.

...and thanks for not including the lie that isn't Super Mario Land 3 -- fuck wario land, hate that franchise. :) Nintendo just loved to be dishonest at times to peddle games, much like how Yoshi's Island should never been called Super Mario World 2 (pre-internet me fell for that on both titles.)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I picked the first game, mostly because it's just really weird. They are both fantastic games though.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Really tough choice. 1 was awesome for a slightly different take on the look and gameplay. Like it was mentioned, the world themes and shmup parts were awesome, and I really liked the music too. It was also closer to SMB1 for NES in terms of stage flow and powerup mechanics.
2 was great for making it feel like NES SMB3, with similar art stylings, map and multiple powerups. Bonus stages were fun (that damn claw!!) as well.
I just don't know man, I'm torn.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Really tough choice. 1 was awesome for a slightly different take on the look and gameplay. Like it was mentioned, the world themes and shmup parts were awesome, and I really liked the music too. It was also closer to SMB1 for NES in terms of stage flow and powerup mechanics.
2 was great for making it feel like NES SMB3, with similar art stylings, map and multiple powerups. Bonus stages were fun (that damn claw!!) as well.
I just don't know man, I'm torn.

I remember being excited to get SML 1 back in the day, then being mildly disappointed because it didn't play exactly like the nes games, but holy shit when I saw that first hori-shooter level I was super-pumped.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
SML2=It's kind of Super Mario World 'Lite' as it's very big, long game, lots of suits and styles of stages to deal with. The Mario 'super' sprite even is the sprite from SMW which blew me away when it came out (GB did this was my thoughts!) It has really great graphics and audio (if slightly less memorable than SML1), solid control, the suits I said, and will take awhile so it's an adventure.

My thoughts exactly on SML2. I was completely blown away by the fact that the game really did feel like a mini version of Super Mario World. SML 1 was great and definitely fulfilled its role as a "mario game you can take with you", but SML2 was impressive in the same way that Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening felt like a mini version of Link to the Past. Good times.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I actually had Super Mario Land 2 way before I had Super Mario Land. I got SML2 as a hand-me-down from my older brother when he replaced his Game Boy with a Game Gear, when I was really young. I've pretty much had SML2 for as long as I can remember. I didn't track down SML until my teenage years when I started having my own money to spend.

So, while they're both fantastic games, I found it hard to enjoy SML as much as 2. It's harder to go back to SML because SML2 looks better, sounds better, has better controls, and has way more features.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I remember being excited to get SML 1 back in the day, then being mildly disappointed because it didn't play exactly like the nes games, but holy shit when I saw that first hori-shooter level I was super-pumped.

It'd be totally sweet to have a hori-shooter of mario for a full game. As long as the design had enough cleverness and interesting levels to keep you interested for the entirety.

hmmm, if i had a wiiU and mario maker, I'd probably give this a shot. But then i couldn't add my own sprites, right?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
My first Gameboy anything was Super Mario Land in 1989. Parents screwed up and let me open up the game before the system. It was a system dig seconds later and then kind of a push to do the other packages. I kept replaying it over and over it's just that good, never was burned out on it ever.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
hmmm, if i had a wiiU and mario maker, I'd probably give this a shot. But then i couldn't add my own sprites, right?

Right. You can choose from visual styles/powerups of SMB1, 3, World, and New SMB, but you can't import your own. That said, people have still made some decent shmup like setups in their levels, not the real deal, but still fun.

Also, Mario Land 2. It's still one of my top favorite handheld Mario games. I do love SMB1, but I do have one thing I love/hate about it. Too short, it always ends before I want it to. The shooter bits were pretty awesome, though.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
For the longest time I thought the hopping enemies in the China levels were like kung fu guys, only until a few years ago did I realize they were jiangshi: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiangshi

There's a jiangshi on the box art too.

...and thanks for not including the lie that isn't Super Mario Land 3 -- fuck wario land, hate that franchise. :) Nintendo just loved to be dishonest at times to peddle games, much like how Yoshi's Island should never been called Super Mario World 2 (pre-internet me fell for that on both titles.)

I really liked Wario Land 2 as a kid. I don't know if I'd enjoy it now.

Wario Land 3 is an absolute mess.

Wario Land is...OK. But not great.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I found it hard to enjoy SML as much as 2. It's harder to go back to SML because SML2 looks better, sounds better, has better controls, and has way more features.

SML 2 is a fucking poser and he's not your real friend.