Reunited with U.N. Squadron

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Been playing UNS for the last month or so. Got back into the swing and beat it on Normal. Now I'm working on getting through it on Hard, but I keep getting stuck on the infamous ceiling crawler in stage 9.

Just now after another game over, I decided to hop on YouTube and see some strategies. I came across a comment of some dude saying basically, "you're making this harder than it is, look at my channel to see a better way."

So I came across this:

Did anyone know you could go under the ground guns like this?

Definitely beat this game on hard. You get the full ending that way. The stage 9 boss is the only one I have trouble beating sometimes, but you just have to be quick with alternating napalm bombs and the upper angle vulcan all while maneuvering under its weak spot.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
The most expensive fucking music cd I´ve ever purchased has this version of that tune:

And I don´t regret it one bit :)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Pick another one back up dude. I paid like $15.

Yeah, the name is probably the worst thing about it. I can remember not liking the name when I was younger because I didn't understand what it was. Now it's a little different because I know how much the UN is bullshit.

But I'm guessing the name came from the fact that the characters are from three different countries working together in the same force. Just a guess.

mine was an OG dedicated cabinet in fantastic shape.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Awwwww really?!? Do you at least have some picture of it saved? I´d like to drool a bit. Never seen a dedicated UN squadron cab.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
I see your argument but they could have just called it Mercenary Squadron or just about anything that was at least somewhat related to what the game was based on. "UN Squadron" is just cringe worthy.

I think its an US / Euro political correctness thing. Blowing stuff up on a massive scale is supposedly all good when you got a UN mandate.
BTW I also kind of prefer the SNES version from a solo gamers perspective.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Awwwww really?!? Do you at least have some picture of it saved? I´d like to drool a bit. Never seen a dedicated UN squadron cab.

i'll have to look. i picked it up for a song as a CL special. someone found out i had it and way overspent so i sold it. haven't seen another one since.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Well, I remember another arcade gem on the Mega Drive, 16:9 stretched to meet the console folks expectations as to the "length" of a game a/k/a if not, then I'll credit feed myself through in 15 minutes, which is way too $hort... it's Toki. What a damn shame.

Toki, oh man, haven't played that game in ages...

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Mendel; said:
Area 88 was almost totally unknown to people outside Japan.

This is unequivocally, false.

Everyone around my age, the prime target arcade and comic reading age when U.N. Squadron arrived in arcades...not the casuals...but the arcade/7-11/Pizza Hut/RoundTablePizza/laundry mat goers...real arcade heads-

We read the comics. Area 88 was published in English, in the USA and Canada by Eclipse Comics & Viz Communications at the time this game was on location.

**Edit**
Central Park Media, released the OVAs in North America, in '92. Hella people knew about Area 88 outside of Japan.

It's not like the Ranma 1/2 fighter for snes that had all the sprites and names changed...Capcom had the license to do Area 88 the game, as erm...Area 88-the game. No idea why they changed the NA name of the game...it's an unnecessary change, in the same vein as Eggman--->Robotnic.

Just stupid on Capcom's part.

Last edited:

Bagheera369

New Challenger
I appreciate each version for what they are. You are right in that the SNES game is more like a shmup/RPG (which is a rarity) with what is essentially gold and experience and the ability to buy items and upgrades. There is even grinding in the form of destroying the convoys. If you are not a fan of RPGs I can see the SNES version being a let down, but for me I do appreciate this hybrid style.

Thats why one of my top 5 shmups is Guardian Legend. Not because it's shmup levels are so dramatically impressive, but the speed in which they move, and the grinding necessary to get to a level capable of making it through......great game.