How often do you change games (MVS, Super Gun owners)

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Sup Neo Fam, I am curious at how often you guys switch carts or how you make the decision about what game(s) you are going to swap in and out of your boards.
I am kind of new to the MVS so I am hesitant (until I get extra boards) on swapping games as often as I get them. However, with only having a two slot system I really like to keep at least one Shmup and a fighting game/whatever else.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I change them when I want to. Why buy extra boards? Get another two slot as a backup and be done.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
I swap boards often, as it is much easier to do with a supergun since it's right there. I can imagine in a cab it would be a bit less frequent, but when I am on an MVS kick I play through a few games in a session.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I change them when I want to. Why buy extra boards? Get another two slot as a backup and be done.
I only mention the extra boards because even though I am quite gentle with switching carts, I don't know how durable these boards are for me to be swapping games out very often. But hey if the 2 slot boards can handle frequent swap outs I will definitely be trying out more combinations like Crossed Swords and Magician lord or Blazing Star with 2020 BaseBall. I wish 4 slot boards were more reliable as that would make this allot easier to deal with lol.

I swap boards often, as it is much easier to do with a supergun since it's right there. I can imagine in a cab it would be a bit less frequent, but when I am on an MVS kick I play through a few games in a session.
I might invest in a Supergun in the future as well. Popping those metal tabs out under the control panel isn't all that bad for me compared to swapping between the 4 slot board and 2 slot board. The cabling for the 2 slot machines is much tighter it seems so I can't use the coin counters with that awkward 4 slot size.

Last edited:

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
For what it's worth, I have a 1-slot in frequent use for the past 2+ years and have never had an issue with it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Don't worry about swapping boards. You can do it 1000s of times without issue.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
I swap them almost every time I play the neo. It's a 4 slot so I usually have at least one regular in there that I'm working on 1ccing, then just swap out the rest pretty frequently depending on what I feel like. These things were made for an arcade environment, they are pretty tough.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
I swap them almost every time I play the neo. It's a 4 slot so I usually have at least one regular in there that I'm working on 1ccing, then just swap out the rest pretty frequently depending on what I feel like. These things were made for an arcade environment, they are pretty tough.
Don't worry about swapping boards. You can do it 1000s of times without issue.

Appreciate the veteran replies fellas. I don't think the games on this board were swapped all of that much to begin with from the arcade I got it from. The guy kept just Metal Slug 2 and Blazing star in the cab for at least 5-7 years whilst he had it out and booted up.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
IMO, these were made for heavy arcade use. When they have issues it's generally due to age, normal consumer use probably isn't going to wear anything out unless you do something dumb like spill coke on it or drag it across the carpet.

vaillian

King's Dry Cleaner
sometimes 1-3 times on my AES one slot, sometimes not all for the day depends if i want to play it

geise

Mickey's Coach
Daily depending on my game mood. For just neo get teh roms on a 138-1 and forget about it. I wouldn't ever fear swapping out boards if you just go legit only.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
I swap carts pretty rarely since Breakers Revenge gets the most play on my single slot but I do switch to kof 2000 on ocassion. Max difficulty 1cc attempts are definitely the deciding factor for me when I decide to play on the cab vs other formats though. Play what you want, how you want, whenever you want. Switching carts as often as you like won't hurt anything.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Daily depending on my game mood. For just neo get teh roms on a 138-1 and forget about it. I wouldn't ever fear swapping out boards if you just go legit only.
Yeh, I currently have the 138-1 board for my other cab but I need to change the control panel connections before the system is usable again. However, I love playing legit on my big red so I typically do the most neo gaming there.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Whenever really. I actually just leave the joysticks unclipped from the cabinet usually so I can just fold it down and the 2 slots are right there. Truth though is unless I'm focusing on 2 things at the time I'll usually throw the 161in1 in one of those slots just for the variety of it all. Currently is has Crossed Swords 2 and Burning Fight in there.

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
Whenever really. I actually just leave the joysticks unclipped from the cabinet usually so I can just fold it down and the 2 slots are right there. Truth though is unless I'm focusing on 2 things at the time I'll usually throw the 161in1 in one of those slots just for the variety of it all. Currently is has Crossed Swords 2 and Burning Fight in there.

You don't have an issue with the cp coming up while playing? I am not rough on the cp but if those locks aren't in place, any type of odd weight on the sticks will raise the cp slightly and back down. I watched Project COE's review on Crossed Swords 2 and I need to work on grabbing a copy before it gets too ridiculous in price. The game looks so much more polished compared to the original.

ggallegos1

10 Year Member
You don't have an issue with the cp coming up while playing? I am not rough on the cp but if those locks aren't in place, any type of odd weight on the sticks will raise the cp slightly and back down. I watched Project COE's review on Crossed Swords 2 and I need to work on grabbing a copy before it gets too ridiculous in price. The game looks so much more polished compared to the original.

contact busted, he'll make you a bare MVS copy for a good price.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Go ahead and swap them shits as often as you want. You'll be gone long before you ever wear those carts out. All you ever really need to do is wipe the contacts every now and then so you get a god connection.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
On the supergun it's pretty much almost on a daily basis except when I'm on a console mood ( which is happening now :D ).

I rarely change a PCB when it's on the cab. It's a hassle.

Tanooki

War Room Troll

I'm an odd SNK fan, I don't play much of the fighting games, but the others so I really don't run into that. It's when I decided to fire up Samurai Shodown 3 or of those types I have that issue if I get a bit strong on it. Normally since I'm not as aggressive with brawlers, platformers, side scrolling action, puzzle, shumps or dodgeball it really isn't a problem. Sure I could rig something up, but I really don't want to go about making holes in the cabinet or adding stuff. I just got fed up reaching well under there to repeatedly unsnap the thing to swap carts after I started buying a few that weren't on my 161in1.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
I just switch them whenever I feel like playing something else. Not like the 2 slut has a death grip on the carts or anything.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
My supergun stays alone on the table and everytime I want to play, I load which pcb I like. I have easy access to all my pcbs. My 2 slot is empty and stays on shelf like all my boards. I load it each time with one or two games and while consolized I connect it through jamma at all times. Those carts don't ware off and MVS carts aren't affected by insertion marks, they are dirty. All my CPS2 have an A board for less hassle though.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
On my four slot I like to keep one puzzle game, one shooter, one fighter and a wild card. I found a lineup with staying power at the moment: Twinkle Star Sprites, Puzzle Bobble, Magical Drop 3 and Garou MOTW WW7 on the 1 slot setup. Haven't swapped carts for a while now.

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
My supergun stays alone on the table and everytime I want to play, I load which pcb I like. I have easy access to all my pcbs. My 2 slot is empty and stays on shelf like all my boards. I load it each time with one or two games and while consolized I connect it through jamma at all times. Those carts don't ware off and MVS carts aren't affected by insertion marks, they are dirty. All my CPS2 have an A board for less hassle though.

How many cps2 boards do you have though? I have about 10 now and find that with the A boards they are taking a bit too much room and am thinking about separating them.

Green Beret

Fio's Quartermaster
How many cps2 boards do you have though? I have about 10 now and find that with the A boards they are taking a bit too much room and am thinking about separating them.

I have 12 of them. They do take a lot of room but it's a lot of hassle to separate a B board from an A board, sometimes they are very tied and it's stressful. I have designed and ordered special furniture for the CPS2 which is capable to hold 14*A+B boards while it is 1 meter high and serves as a table for a Sony BVM 14" monitor too. In each shelf there are 2 games, they are deep.
IMG_0993.JPG

Last edited: