Games you love that kick your @$$

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Any older SNK fighter from 1993-1995, particularly Art of Fighting 2.

Any Ghost and Goblins game.

*insert random arcade game I load up in MAME here*

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Alien Soldier - MD
Pom Ping World - PCE
Art of Fighting II - Neo
Any Dark Souls game - PS3/PS4
Neo Turf Masters - Neo

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
US version of streets of rage 3... I can destroy 1 and 2 and the mega drive version of 3 but that fucker keeps me coming back for more brutality...

And I hate to admit this but I suck at fighters... Against an opponent I can adapt and learn to win. AI kicks my ass every time... So ashamed.........

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Not going to count stuff that I just have got bad at over the years of not playing. Sticking to things I genuinely tend to hate, but found one I love despite it kicking the shit out of me would be the original Ogre Battle. I can not stand indirect control leave it to the AI strategy RPGs as I feel you just get robbed by the AI at times. Despite that, and I'm not even in love much with the sequels either (N64 wasn't bad though) I really do enjoy and keep around Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen on SNES. I've never finished it, probably never will, but just a couple years back I did find the Atlus PSX/SNES dual release guide for sale and snapped it up, it does help, if anything just to get a better lay of the map. :)

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The BEMANI series is an uphill battle for the most part. I'll get my ass kicked by beatmania IIDX and DDR time and time again.

Honorable mention to Tetris The Grandmaster 1-3. And Gradius III.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Blaster Master,finished it once but doing it again is rather difficult.
Ghost'n'Goblins series.
Pulstar
R-Type
Mr.Gimmick

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Blaster Master

Love the damn game, have never beaten it. Those damn Sunsoft NES games are fuckin brutal. Love the Sunsoft Batman as well, but I did actually beat that after much effort. But to this day Blaster Master still sits as the one game I've always wanted to beat but never have...
Most sunsoft nes releases are damn right brutal when it comes to difficulty.Then i watch a episode of "awesome games done quick" and i feel ashamed since they make there games look like mere child plays.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Out Run, Another World, MGS VR Missions and Sokoban on higher levels. No matter how much I get my ass beat up in those games, I'm right back trying another run.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Most sunsoft nes releases are damn right brutal when it comes to difficulty.Then i watch a episode of "awesome games done quick" and i feel ashamed since they make there games look like mere child plays.

Must now remember to not watch "awesome games done quick". Being an MVS peasant I don't need to feel more ashamed than I already am.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Every Shmups I've played.

The key to training on shumps (particularly pattern ones) is to never continue. Just go back and start over. Eventually, you will begin to master stages.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
art of fighting 2:
one of my favourite fighters of all time, but i never got past the third opponent.

super castlevania 4:
i could only beat this via save states.

ninja gaiden nes:
speaks for its self

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
Truxton, hellfire, eliminate down, slap fight and gaiares on the MD, they are all a tough challenge.
I've never completed one of them and i've been trying for years.
Some of the 16 bit shooter's on the megadrive are seriously hard.

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
so lately i have been playing through Castlevania SotN on my Vita and it kicks my ass but I love it so much. I do. I don't go much for men, for real, but if Alucard Tepes was real i would make love to him in the moonlight. It turns me on

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I'm guessing you don't know about the secret room in the outer wall with the knuckle duster. Once you get that it's a lot easier.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Once you first get to the Outer Wall there's a room that a dude with a big sword is protecting. Going into the room you break open the wall to the left. Then crouch while inside the wall and you will be lowered to the room before where there's a Knuckle Duster and a couple other things. The Knuckle Duster has short range, but is ridiculously strong. I don't get rid of it for quite a while.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I always hated the fist weapons in SotN. I like the swords that Alucard swings horizontally because they attack fast. The swords that he swings over his head vertically suck, too slow. They do have reach though.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Most of those extremely expensive Neo-Geo fighters offered extremely cheap bosses: Princess Sissy anyone?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
I always hated the fist weapons in SotN. I like the swords that Alucard swings horizontally because they attack fast. The swords that he swings over his head vertically suck, too slow. They do have reach though.

The sword horizontal weapons are always better, but to get something that is close to as powerful as the Knuckle Duster I think you have to go to the bottom of the Castle. I'm just pointing out what makes it much easier. Then again the Shield Rod and Alucard Shield completely makes the game pointless.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I wouldn't say I love it but I do like Rive more than I should.

It's brutally difficult, kills the player with unfair insta-death traps over and over, and has some of the most evil enemy setups I've ever seen. And it probably goes without saying that the margin for error is zero on most of the hard parts.

Yet I keep going back to it. Always feels like even the hardest parts are going to be beatable, eventually.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
It's brutally difficult, kills the player with unfair insta-death traps over and over, ...

Some of my favorite insta-death traps are found in the Shinobi series. Not a "trap" per se, but the fact, that you're offered a lavish energy bar, which all of a sudden proves worthless at a death-pit's door pumps up my adrenaline every time I visit the last stage in The Revenge of Shinobi II.

Set your shuriken to zero, never use the Fushin Ninjitsu and... watch the excitement grow in giddy heights, where Joe Musashi is praying that you get that quirky double-jump timing right. This time at least.