Games you love that kick your @$$

Naika

Street Hoop Star
art of fighting 2:
one of my favourite fighters of all time, but i never got past the third opponent.

super castlevania 4:
i could only beat this via save states.

ninja gaiden nes:
speaks for its self

Curse you AOF2. Gorgeous game but that 3rd enemy is too much!

NES ninja gaiden is one of my faves but it's too brutal.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I always hated the fist weapons in SotN. I like the swords that Alucard swings horizontally because they attack fast. The swords that he swings over his head vertically suck, too slow. They do have reach though.

One thing I did in my last playthrough was to keep a good sword equipped on the square arm and a fist weapon instead of a shield on O arm. It lowers the defense a bit, but it's great for large enemies that take multiple hits since you can get 3 or 4 hits in the time period it takes for one sword swing but I still have distance if I don't want to get close.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
One thing I did in my last playthrough was to keep a good sword equipped on the square arm and a fist weapon instead of a shield on O arm. It lowers the defense a bit, but it's great for large enemies that take multiple hits since you can get 3 or 4 hits in the time period it takes for one sword swing but I still have distance if I don't want to get close.

There is a little cheat that allows you to keep your starting equipment.

It takes away the difficulty at the begining but if you ever return to the room with death he steals your stuff.

Later in the game the crissagram or masamune are the best weapons!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
R-Type but I still love it.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Curse you AOF2. Gorgeous game but that 3rd enemy is too much!

NES ninja gaiden is one of my faves but it's too brutal.

yeah, would of loved it if snk did a art of fighting special which fixed all the problems with the ai and made the bosses playable characters.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
art of fighting 2:
one of my favourite fighters of all time, but i never got past the third opponent.

super castlevania 4:
i could only beat this via save states.

ninja gaiden nes:
speaks for its self

sciv i could never beat as a kid cuz i was a lil bitch. but then i grew up and realized how easy it is. the thing is it just feelslike a long game ya know. why do you need save states, because u think its too long or what?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Any shoot'em up I play. I like most of them, but I am just not good at them. Also KoF 95. I totally love it, but even the AI kicks my ass easily.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
sciv i could never beat as a kid cuz i was a lil bitch. but then i grew up and realized how easy it is. the thing is it just feelslike a long game ya know. why do you need save states, because u think its too long or what?

i guess the lengh of the game is one reason. but i use save states because i find the level of difficulty a bit to high. i try not to get hit much, because if i don't have a near enough full life bar towards the end of the level, the boss fight usually fucks me up.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Anything on NES. WHen I was a kid I had all the time in the world to master games and fewer games to play. I play them now and they kick my ass.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Every Shmups I've played.
I agree, most shoot-em-ups are too difficult. If they're arcade games, they're usually too hard to 1cc (which is the only worthwhile way to play an arcade game). I've yet to play an arcade shooter that's easy to 1cc. But console shooters are usually toned down in difficulty, with more credits, but not the infinite credits that you might give yourself if you were playing an arcade game.
I like some of the Neo shooters, like Last Resort, but it's too hard- how do you get your ship to fit in the space between enemy shots, enemy ships and background sprites?

My favourite shooters are:
Last Resort
Aero Fighters 2 & 3
Raptor: Call of the Shadows (PC)
Xarlor Mercenary (Atari Lynx)
Terra Cresta (arcade)

Last edited:

cyriades

Super Spy Agent
Blaster Master, which I'm ashamed to admit that I've never finished.

Street Fighter 2010, finished this a few times and have played it some again recently... still pretty hard but I got back to where I could consistently get to the 4th planet without too much trouble.

Castlevania 1, the hallway leading up to Death and then Death himself. Holy crap.

Ninja Gaiden 1, level 6-3 and all of its "why in Goku's name?!?" difficulty. There was a faq on gamefaqs just for 6-3, iirc.

Ninja Gaiden 2 I got fairly good at again last year, but all of level 7 still kicked my ass. Haha.

Edit: just remembered a few more.

Power Blade
Double Dragon series for NES (platforming elements and death pits in a beatemup?!?)
Mega Man 1
Gradius series
Super Aleste aka Space Megaforce (one of my favorites growing up but man it's tough)

Last edited:

DrScience

n00b
Viewpoint. It makes me rage at times, but it's so damn pretty.

Yeah this right here.
Love the visuals and has really good music but damn this is one difficult game.
Does this game even have a 2nd level? I haven't seen it.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Me too, though I always loved Tyrian more than Raptor: Call of the Shadows. Tyrian still stands out as one of the best shooters ever to this day.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Contra/Probotector for the lovely 16-Bit Mega Drive.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
MNo9.jpg

Got all trophies yesterday. The Playstation requirements are streamlined compared to other platforms (Steam / XBox), but it was still hard as fuck and a pain in the ass. I enjoyed the challenge though.

Last edited:

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
TMNT NES
R-Type
Phantasy Star 2
Art of Fighting 2
Aero Fighters 2 ( I just can't beat the Baboon yet wtf...)
I am sure there are a couple more games. But these are the ones that really have stuck out over the years especially NES TMNT. I can get to the technodrome in that game with at least 3 turtles and just get rolled.

Ip Man

15 Year Member
especially NES TMNT. I can get to the technodrome in that game with at least 3 turtles and just get rolled.

the technodrome must be a common one. it's what i could never pass. never got to shredder in all my years of playing that game.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
the technodrome must be a common one. it's what i could never pass. never got to shredder in all my years of playing that game.

I did once the long corridor before shredder just anihaliates me... But I beat shredder only once.... Its pretty mythical, i feel right up there with Castlevania 3. Another one I beat when I was young. Man I was good...