Any interest in an open source 3d printable consolized 1 slot MVS enclosure?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
So, now that I have a 3d printer, one of my projects is to work on a 3d printable enclosure for a consolized MV-1C.

My thoughts on the design:

Keep the enclosure as small as reasonably possibly.

No precut holes for AV or power. Basically there will be molded controller port cutouts, cart slot and stand-offs for the MV1C pcb. This way you can finish it with what ever you need.

Probably make the design 2 or 3 pieces. Thinking of making the rear panel a separate piece so that in case when drilling out your different AV connections, if you screw it up you can just print out the back panel instead of a whole case or which ever piece has the rear panel in it.

This will be a open source design free for others to print and modify as they see fit. It will be uploaded to Thingiverse.com for all to have access to.

Thoughts?

nornor1

NEST Puppet
that would be pretty badass actually. I have the MV1c made by JNX, and while the case is cool, I think it could be improved.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
that would be pretty badass actually. I have the MV1c made by JNX, and while the case is cool, I think it could be improved.

The case I use is for advanced builders, not everyone can use it.

What material are you planning on using Todd?

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The case I use is for advanced builders, not everyone can use it.

This brings up a good point. While the case I am designing is suppose to be easy to work with, it will still require quite a bit of trial and error fitting components under the hood. RGB only console will be the easiest, but once you start putting video encoders in there that will require some extra work. This case will just give you a foundation to work with.

What material are you planning on using Todd?

Folks will be free to print it with what ever material they feel like using. However I am designing it with PLA or PETG in mind. You could use ABS, but with the tight tolerances of the cart slot and the DB15 controller ports, ABS with it's tendency to shrink wouldn't probably be ideal.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
That's a really cool idea. Bill offers something similar btw., maybe you can get some inspiration there.

Why do you want to go for the MV-1C? I think it is the priciest board, since it is in high demand for CMVS systems (including the Omega)... other compact boards could use some love too ;)

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
I'm sure someone from Spain or France would try to take advantage of your work, if you were to put it on Thingiverse.

ABS with it's tendency to shrink wouldn't probably be ideal.
And warp. And stink.

You'd also need a printer with a large bed. That rules out the Fabrikator Mini or the Tiko. Sounds interesting but it's probably too expensive for most people.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
I think this is an awesome idea. Are you planning to design a power switch as well or are you leaving that up to the builder?

lions3

Igniz's Servent
ABS is a great material for 3d printing. It's a soft but durable plastic. It's not brittle like PLA. BUT you need a heated bed and a full enclosure. So the printed object cools down at the same rate throughout. Else you get warping.

MikanBox

n00b
"there will be molded controller port cutouts"

welp you got my attention :hcf:

(My 3d printer awaits...)