Enamel Paint

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Guys, WTF is enamel paint? In what situations is it better than just normal acrylic? Does it dry flat like good paint? Or does it glop on?

fake

15 Year Member
I'd be using it for customizing toys. I've heard of people using them on model kits and whatnot so i thought maybe they're good for small details.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
I haven't ever used them myself, but Testors brand enamel paints are pretty well regarded by toy customizers. Plastic is fine, but enamel paints on rubber toys may not be the best route, as they sometimes don't cure properly on that material and remain tacky.

You may find this helpful; according to the author you can get enamel with a flat finish too:

http://www.toymania.com/customcorner/custfaq.shtml

fake

15 Year Member
Cool, thanks for the info. By the way, by "flat" I mean the texture, not the finish. Some of the high quality paint I use (Krink in particular) will even out and leave a really thin but opaque layer of paint, whereas some of the cheaper paint will just sit there and need to be sanded down to be flush with the curves of the toy.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Brush on enamel is hit or miss as far as texture goes, even as an aerosol. It's usually best as a spray on with an air compressor and gun. They do make self leveling stuff but I've never used it. Only industrial stuff that had to be custom mixed with thinner. It does usually dry to basically a hard shell like coating. Think M&Ms shells. It's also usually oil based so it can potentially eat right through your model kids or vinyl toys.

Like M said it's mainly for industrial use: Railings, grills, car parts etc.

I do know that the local hobby shop here carry Testors and seem to regard it highly but it's kind of pricey.

Last edited:

Karou

Gandalf Of Gibberish,
10 Year Member
if it is drying crappy. I think you are supposed to add some thinner*whatever kind is compatible^water/oil?

paint is hard.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Testors is crap. Maybe with practice people make it work, but ive never gotten the knack for it. Things are worlds easier with acrylic. I really like Vallejo brand for stuff like warhammer and tanks.