MVS PROTO DISCOVERED! Burning Fight MVS. Bootleg? Nay, Proto!

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Here's a game I never thought I'd see bootlegged, and yet here's a pretty shady-looking cart. I'm pretty well convinced this is a boot, but wanted to confirm. Covered ROMs that I'm pretty confident are all EPROMs. Screen on the board isn't the right font. Capacitors just look a bit "off." Flux around all the solder joints on the through-hole stuff. What do you think?

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
May be a proto, or an early dev version.

May wanna check with Billy.

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
very cool find. stickers are consistent w/other snk proto stickers.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Nice. Looks just like my Last Resort Proto/Early build from earlier in the year.

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Looks a lot like my Cyber Lip proto. Prototype boards (EP) and those proto stickers as have already been mentioned.

I'm curious if it still has the proto label or if someone replaced it like some jackass did w/my Cyber Lip.

Last edited:

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Wow man, that does look like a proto very cool.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Thanks for feedback, everyone!

I sent Billy a message; he confirmed it appears to be a proto.

I may try to play this one and the final version on MAME, and see if I can find any differences. I think there was another proto Burning Fight out there a while ago, which just had a few different colors and such, but we'll see!

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Please report back on the Hobo Blojo, this could be the biggest find of the year if they added that in later on vs the proto.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Please report back on the Hobo Blojo, this could be the biggest find of the year if they added that in later on vs the proto.

Oh man, I forgot about that! Where in the game is that?

MuppeT

War Room Troll
This will go for sale for $3000 soon... just for consistency.

Otherwise cool find.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
This will go for sale for $3000 soon... just for consistency.

Otherwise cool find.

Is that a reference to something that's happened here, or a dig at me?

mmsadda

10 Year Member
What should a proto label look like?

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Congrats man! When I get home tonight I'll look at my other BF home proto. The early one I dumped back in 2011 is from December of 1990. That version was unfinished and had different character sprites. I have a second version of it that seems pretty complete, but I dont remember the date code off the top of my head.

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
What does the unibios CRC check say?

mmsadda

10 Year Member
What does the unibios CRC check say?

Unfortunately, the 4-slot I recently picked up doesn't have a unibios yet, so I can't easily check that.

mmsadda

10 Year Member
Time for an update!

After speaking with Supergun and NeoTurfMasta, I feel it's safe to conclude this is a proto. This is later than the cart that NTM posted screens of and dumped by a few months at least. I'm sure he can elaborate further if he wants, as this is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

I'm not seeing any differences from the production version yet. It doesn't have any of the changes that NeoTurfMaster noted in his early proto version; mine has Billy, the later character select and continue screens, and seems to have the production stage 2 music. I'm thinking I'll dump the ROMs for the sake of preservation, and hold onto it, since it's cool to have even if it's very similar to the final version.

Bde5Dhq.jpg

B81j90D.jpg

subS433.jpg

VAnnaSI.jpg

JLR3O0q.jpg

R5G3hQk.jpg

GVkbd8Q.jpg

The all-important HoblowJ is still there, as well.

mmsadda

10 Year Member

I just re-watched the video you posted, and your hobo looks very different from my man in a pink dress. Do you know what stage that's from? The one I posted a pic of is in the first stage, and it looks like he's giving a half-blow-j-half-hand-jibber

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Yeah this version looks to be at least one month newer than my other BF proto. The one I dumped in 2011 was from December of 1990, my second one is from Feb of 1991. This one looks to be from March 91.

Dec 1990 only 3 stages, incomplete, different music and character sprites.
Feb 1991, all stages complete. Sprites look to be final version. My music is corrupt on that cart: Labeled "Ver 07"
WjbGm6o.jpg

March 1991, Labeled "Ver 23.3"

What's also cool about mmsadda's proto is it has that RomStar inventory sticker. There's probably a good chance this Proto passed through Tony's hands at some point.