Help with RGB to NTSC Converter

I recently found a free street fighter 2 arcade cabinet on craigslist. The original pcb was inside but it appears the guy had tried to convert the arcade into a mame machine and quit halfway through. He replaced the the original monitor with a de-cased television. I want to restore this machine to a street fighter 2 but I don't have the money to buy an arcade monitor.

That brings me to my point. Instead of buying a new arcade monitor, I instead bought a RGB to NTSC encoder so that I could display video from the street fighter pcb to the television. My only problem is that I have no idea how to wire it up. The encoder came with no instructions, there are no instructions on the website and no one at Jamma Nation X has responded to my emails. I have tried to take enough pictures so that some of you knowledgeable people might be able to lead me in the right direction. I know Xian Xi is a member here and can hopefully help if he sees this post.

Oh and just FYI, the adapter comes with an s-video and an rca jack. I am planning on using the s-video jack (which is why I included that in the pictures)

Attachments

• encoder 1.jpg
    encoder 1.jpg
    940 KB · Views: 116
  • encoder 2.jpg
    encoder 2.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 117
  • encoder 3.jpg
    encoder 3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 115

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
From the product page:

Input:
1. Red
2. Green
3. Blue
4. Sync
5. +5v
6. Ground

Output:
1. Ground
2. Red
3. Green
4. Blue
5. Sync
6. Composite Video
7. Luma
8. Chroma
9. +5v

So basically, you need take wire RGB, Sync, ground, and 5v from the harness into the input, and take either composite video and ground on the outputs or chroma and luma if you are using svideo and use that for the connection into the TV. You will probably need those resistors to go on the RGB inputs since RGB straight from the jamma edge is too strong.

Thanks a lot! That does help but I need to know a little more about where to put the resistors. Also what "product page" did you find that wiring information?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
When you look it up on the JNX page click on the picture of the item. Picture 2 has the pinout info I copied and pasted. That's usually how the site is setup for things that don't have a full blown tutorial.

The resistors would go between the jamma RGB output lines and the input of the board. Alternatively, you could get three potentiometers instead so that you can adjust the strength of the signal, which is handy when you are swapping on PCBs but may not be necessary if all you're running is a SF2 board.

Dude thank you so much! I didn't think to look at other similar products on his page. I actually got the "Stryder" model and not the "J-Rok". Do you think the wire color scheme would be the same? There are no pinout diagrams for the one that i bought.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Are you sure? I was looking at the Stryker ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I haven't received any emails about a Stryder in like 2 weeks.

Are you sure? I was looking at the Stryker ;)

Yes, I am sure. If you go to the product page and click on the picture of the Stryder, only 1 picture comes up and there is no pinout diagram.

Edit:
Apparently there are 2 different ways to view the Stryder device on his webpage. If you navigate to it through arcade->hardware, then there is only one picture with no pinout. If you navigate to it through jnx products->jnx original products then there are two pictures, one of which is the pinout diagram.

Last edited:
I haven't received any emails about a Stryder in like 2 weeks.

I emailed you about a month ago (through your website) and then I followed up a week later. My email address is bakermccutcheon@gmail.com. I am still having issues with this adapter, so any help you could give me would be great. I believe I have wired everything up correctly but I am getting an EXTREMELY faint picture. It's so faint that I actually thought there was no picture at all at first.

If I am wiring this adapter to an s-video jack, then I should not need to do anything with the red, green, blue, yellow and brown wires on the output side, correct?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I emailed you about a month ago (through your website) and then I followed up a week later. My email address is bakermccutcheon@gmail.com. I am still having issues with this adapter, so any help you could give me would be great. I believe I have wired everything up correctly but I am getting an EXTREMELY faint picture. It's so faint that I actually thought there was no picture at all at first.

If I am wiring this adapter to an s-video jack, then I should not need to do anything with the red, green, blue, yellow and brown wires on the output side, correct?

If it's faint, it's most likely missing the 3 resistors that need to be installed in the R1, R2 and R3 locations on the board.

Shoot me an email directly to contact at jamma-nation-x.com

If it's faint, it's most likely missing the 3 resistors that need to be installed in the R1, R2 and R3 locations on the board.

Shoot me an email directly to contact at jamma-nation-x.com

Okay, I just sent you an email. Hopefully it will go through :)

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member

Hope you like the cawk pics I sent

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
If you get a color spot,
Try to use non-ferrous fasteners to secure the TV.

Last edited: