Thread: Help with RGB to NTSC Converter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Timid Neo Newbie

Help with RGB to NTSC Converter

I recently found a free street fighter 2 arcade cabinet on craigslist. The original pcb was inside but it appears the guy had tried to convert the arcade into a mame machine and quit halfway through. He replaced the the original monitor with a de-cased television. I want to restore this machine to a street fighter 2 but I don't have the money to buy an arcade monitor.

That brings me to my point. Instead of buying a new arcade monitor, I instead bought a RGB to NTSC encoder so that I could display video from the street fighter pcb to the television. My only problem is that I have no idea how to wire it up. The encoder came with no instructions, there are no instructions on the website and no one at Jamma Nation X has responded to my emails. I have tried to take enough pictures so that some of you knowledgeable people might be able to lead me in the right direction. I know Xian Xi is a member here and can hopefully help if he sees this post.

Oh and just FYI, the adapter comes with an s-video and an rca jack. I am planning on using the s-video jack (which is why I included that in the pictures)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

From the product page:

Input:
    1. Red
    2. Green
    3. Blue
    4. Sync
    5. +5v
    6. Ground

Output:
    1. Ground
    2. Red
    3. Green
    4. Blue
    5. Sync
    6. Composite Video
    7. Luma
    8. Chroma
    9. +5v

So basically, you need take wire RGB, Sync, ground, and 5v from the harness into the input, and take either composite video and ground on the outputs or chroma and luma if you are using svideo and use that for the connection into the TV. You will probably need those resistors to go on the RGB inputs since RGB straight from the jamma edge is too strong.

Timid Neo Newbie

Thanks a lot! That does help but I need to know a little more about where to put the resistors. Also what "product page" did you find that wiring information?

When you look it up on the JNX page click on the picture of the item. Picture 2 has the pinout info I copied and pasted. That's usually how the site is setup for things that don't have a full blown tutorial.

The resistors would go between the jamma RGB output lines and the input of the board. Alternatively, you could get three potentiometers instead so that you can adjust the strength of the signal, which is handy when you are swapping on PCBs but may not be necessary if all you're running is a SF2 board.

Timid Neo Newbie

Dude thank you so much! I didn't think to look at other similar products on his page. I actually got the "Stryder" model and not the "J-Rok". Do you think the wire color scheme would be the same? There are no pinout diagrams for the one that i bought.

Are you sure? I was looking at the Stryker

Timid Neo Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    I haven't received any emails about a Stryder in like 2 weeks.
    I emailed you about a month ago (through your website) and then I followed up a week later. My email address is bakermccutcheon@gmail.com. I am still having issues with this adapter, so any help you could give me would be great. I believe I have wired everything up correctly but I am getting an EXTREMELY faint picture. It's so faint that I actually thought there was no picture at all at first.

If I am wiring this adapter to an s-video jack, then I should not need to do anything with the red, green, blue, yellow and brown wires on the output side, correct?

JammaNationX

Quote Originally Posted by twinparadox View Post
    I emailed you about a month ago (through your website) and then I followed up a week later. My email address is bakermccutcheon@gmail.com. I am still having issues with this adapter, so any help you could give me would be great. I believe I have wired everything up correctly but I am getting an EXTREMELY faint picture. It's so faint that I actually thought there was no picture at all at first.

If I am wiring this adapter to an s-video jack, then I should not need to do anything with the red, green, blue, yellow and brown wires on the output side, correct?
    If it's faint, it's most likely missing the 3 resistors that need to be installed in the R1, R2 and R3 locations on the board.

Shoot me an email directly to contact at jamma-nation-x.com

Timid Neo Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Xian Xi View Post
    If it's faint, it's most likely missing the 3 resistors that need to be installed in the R1, R2 and R3 locations on the board.

Shoot me an email directly to contact at jamma-nation-x.com
    Okay, I just sent you an email. Hopefully it will go through

Dogg-Father

Quote Originally Posted by twinparadox View Post

Hope you like the cawk pics I sent
    _ _ ___________________________ _ _
    People I've delt with:
    |Steve Rhine|Vinh|Jeff Kurtz|Kenny Boy|Big Bear|Fox1|Bones|Kid Aphex|Bluevoodu|Kubikiri Basara|Shawn|Michael Yagami|

If you get a color spot,
    Try to use non-ferrous fasteners to secure the TV.
    Last edited by norton9478; 10-04-2016 at 04:36 PM.
    There was no immunity to cuckoo ideas on Earth.
    Here was the reason human beings could not reject ideas because they were bad: "Ideas on Earth were badges of friendship or enmity.
    Their content didn't matter. Friends agreed with friends, in order to express friendliness. Enemies disagreed with enemies, in order to express enmity.

Timid Neo Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Are you sure? I was looking at the Stryker
    Yes, I am sure. If you go to the product page and click on the picture of the Stryder, only 1 picture comes up and there is no pinout diagram.

Edit:
    Apparently there are 2 different ways to view the Stryder device on his webpage. If you navigate to it through arcade->hardware, then there is only one picture with no pinout. If you navigate to it through jnx products->jnx original products then there are two pictures, one of which is the pinout diagram.
    Last edited by twinparadox; 09-25-2016 at 05:28 PM.

Thread Information