cmvs mv-1b only outputs Red video, no blue or green

Tw1tch

n00b
I had originally bought this cmvs MV-1B from a forum member back in 2012. Upon receiving the unit, RGB output from the system never worked. After trying a few scart to hdmi converters and scart to component adapters, nothing appeared to fix the issue. In the end I decided to get it modded with a neo bitz encoder.

Currently I'm looking to restore the RGB output as I'd like to be able to hook it up to my setup via scart. At the present time it it powers up fine and I'm able to got through the menus via scart, however the main issue is that the system only outputs the color red. My cables were purchased from Retro_console_accessories on ebay. Is there a chance that the cable is wired incorrectly? I was wondering if this was a common issue, or something that can be fixed.

I'll include a video from 2012 that is still an issue along with some photos, of the scart output.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtcFRmgwIsk

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/1copyright/library/Neo geo

Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

Jackafur

Kuroko's Training Dummy
just a heads up. your video is set to private. make it unlisted/public.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
What did you initialy try to get the CMVS to output RGB?
Because just the mv-1b PCB without an encoder will only do RGB.

What you have to check now is where those signals are taken from and where they go from there - are they connected to pins on the socket? (They might not be, so you ony have the encoded signals there.) Do the pins they (R, G, B, Sync, Ground (and possibly 5V)) are wired up to correspond with the pinout of the cable you bought?

I take it the CMVS works with other cables/signals (S-Video, Component, Composite?), so I wouldn't think it's the Neo or the converter, just RGB not being wired up or the wires are in the 'wrong' place (so the pins on the socket are not connected the way the cable is 'expecting').

Who did you buy it from? Who installed the Neobitz encoder?
These poeple might be able to shed further light on your situation.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Hi Twitch.

What are you connecting the scart to? A monitor or converter/upscaler?

What resistors are on the RGB lines? If the signals are too strong or weak, they could be ignored by whatever you have the RGB running into.

Tw1tch

n00b
What did you initialy try to get the CMVS to output RGB?
Because just the mv-1b PCB without an encoder will only do RGB.

I initially tired hooking hooking up a scart to yuv this was the converter I tried. https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO

Who did you buy it from? Who installed the Neobitz encoder?
These poeple might be able to shed further light on your situation.

- I bought the unit from a member that goes by the name "OldSchool", going back through previous messages he mentions he had it hooked up via supergun setup.
- I had the neobitz encoder installed by a youtuber (kenn6275) that primarily used to do MVS tech stuff on his channel

Hi Twitch.

What are you connecting the scart to? A monitor or converter/upscaler?

I tried using the following converter but it failed to work however, https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO

What resistors are on the RGB lines? If the signals are too strong or weak, they could be ignored by whatever you have the RGB running into.

I'm not quite sure what resistors are on the RGB lines as I'm not very technical when it comes to RGB or neo geo

xsq

Ok, so your options are now:
- Check the wires yourself.
- Post more detailed pictures in the hopes that we can help you out (you still might have to mess with it yourself).
- Contact kenn6275, ask him what the Pinout of the video port is.
- Ship the CMVS to someone who knows this stuff and pay them to mod/fix it.

fisk

n00b
A suggestion, you could go from the jamma edge connector to the encoder, to the rca/cable, you are using. Its not as clean, but its a little easier to work out. Actually its effing hideous, even with good wire management. But hey... Also, more pics?

P.S. Also, forgive my ignorance, I am using NTSC stuff so we have to use the encoders to go from RGB to NTSC. I am not as familiar with the scart configuration. My understanding is that you can go straight through as scart is pretty much RGB. Correct me if I am wrong. I can show you pictures of how I have wire my CMVS's for NTCS, if that will help.

Last edited:

xsq

My understanding is that you can go straight through as scart is pretty much RGB.
SCART is a connector type, RGB(S) is a Video signal (which SCART can deliver). Other than that you are right - you can wire up RGB from an MVS board - the signal will be too bright/strong in most cases though, so you should add some resistors.

fisk

n00b
SCART is a connector type, RGB(S) is a Video signal (which SCART can deliver). Other than that you are right - you can wire up RGB from an MVS board - the signal will be too bright/strong in most cases though, so you should add some resistors.

Thank you for the clarification, XSQ.

Tw1tch

n00b
So I went back and tried to get a better understanding of the position I'm in and what I'm looking to get out of this thread. I'll include a photo chart that tries to explain or show rather as best as I can, as to how my system is wired up. Hopefully you guys are able to understand what I was trying to do with the photos.

Photo chart breakdown ( https://goo.gl/photos/KykxcAxfHQZbd14E9 )

- kenn6275 only wired the RGB for the jamma edge adapter to neobitz-S encoder to svideo/composite which works correctly
- The Red, green, blue and sync are coming from the same places as this board from a different thread ( http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...-Controller-points-on-the-bottom-of-the-board )
- Is it possible that the green and blue are just cold solder joints? possibly sync too? Which maybe why they aren't outputting green or blue
-The 8 DIN output on my system doesn't output correctly and only shows RED, S video and composite work fine through neobitz-S encoder
- I'm ok with only getting RGB only out of the jamma edge but you mention I'll need resistors? Where would I need to wire in the resistors?
- Also is it possible to have 2 sets of wires wired to the jamma edge? 1 that goes into the neobitz encoder that would be for s video and composite, and the other set the would go into the 8pin DIN to output RGB?
- Is to possible to get stereo audio through the 8pin DIN?
- Is this how I should be wiring me DIN 8 for RGB ( http://www.jamma-nation-x.com/jammax/images/neoscart.jpg )
- Would this cable be wired correctly for the diagram above? ( http://www.ebay.ca/itm/US-seller-Ne...ble-TV-lead-/201285026590?hash=item2edd85c31e )
- Fisk if you wouldn't mind feel free to display/show how your mvs is wired as it might help me understand a bit better
- What I'm looking to do is plug the scart cable mentioned above into the 8 DIN, and plugging the scart end into a euro to mini DIN xrgb mini adapter into my framemeister. Would this work?

I know I came back with more questions, but hopefully the photos I left help offer some more info as to what might be causing my problems

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Post a pic of the color bar screen in the hardware test.

Tw1tch

n00b
Post a pic of the color bar screen in the hardware test.

I'm at work at the moment but I'll get a picture of the hardware screen up later tonight, in about 1-2 hours

*edit*

Here's what is displayed in the color bar hardware setup, I tried to take a good photo that represents what I see on screen.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I'm thinking either the DAC or the ICs that handle the color bits are dead.

Tw1tch

n00b
I'm thinking either the DAC or the ICs that handle the color bits are dead.

Is either problem something that would cost very much to repair? I'm also curious as to if i should just stick with s-video since I know it already works without any issue.. How does the picture quality of s-video compare to RGB?
I managed to dig up with old thread that has me thinking s-video should suffice ( http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?206267-CMVS-Component-vs-S-video )

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is either problem something that would cost very much to repair? I'm also curious as to if i should just stick with s-video since I know it already works without any issue.. How does the picture quality of s-video compare to RGB?
I managed to dig up with old thread that has me thinking s-video should suffice ( http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?206267-CMVS-Component-vs-S-video )

I'm confused here. I thought everything was red? How are you viewing RGB (if that is what is red)? And S-video is clear?

fisk

n00b
If it is in fact a wire issue (and not an IC issue), you can go from the edge connector or where ever else you want to take the signals from and run them to the encoder. So red, green, blue, sync, ground. Then from the encoder to your rca's/cable. If S-Video is working and component is not, I would think that it is a wiring issue. As for picture quality, personally I do not mind how s-video looks on a good CRT.

Tw1tch

n00b
I'm confused here. I thought everything was red? How are you viewing RGB (if that is what is red)? And S-video is clear?

The video signal that is coming out of the jamma edge and going through the neobitz encoder outputs all colours and not just RED video. The output video that is taken off the board in my photo above, 3a and 3b that are then wired to the 8 din female in 4a. It's only the 8 din that is only outputting just RED, s video and composite are fine.

In theory could I just wire a second set of cables from the jamma edge to 8din (green, red,blue,sync and ground) then connecting a cable to the 8 din to output via scart through the xrgb mini.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The video signal that is coming out of the jamma edge and going through the neobitz encoder outputs all colours and not just RED video. The output video that is taken off the board in my photo above, 3a and 3b that are then wired to the 8 din female in 4a. It's only the 8 din that is only outputting just RED, s video and composite are fine.

In theory could I just wire a second set of cables from the jamma edge to 8din (green, red,blue,sync and ground) then connecting a cable to the 8 din to output via scart through the xrgb mini.

But how are you viewing the RGB, via the XRGB? If you are using the XRGB, what cable are you using that connects to the XRGB?

Tw1tch

n00b
Currently I don't have the xrgb mini as it's currently being shipped to me. I do have the proper cable that coverts euro scart to the mini din on the framemeister, not the one that comes with the unit that is wired for jp21.

In the photo of hardware screen I was grabbing the rgb and converting the signal to component using a scart to component converter (cy2100 clone). Ive hooked my SNES via scart into this converter and everything displayed correctly.

I wondering if maybe the mvs 59hz isnt working on the converter box, or maybe the signal is to weak. I'll have some more testing to do once my xrgb mini arrives

*edit*

Not the best photo as the colors appear blown out, but this is what s-video looks like hooked up directly into my TV;

Last edited: