Genesis headphone jack issues

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
So I just picked up a model 1 non-TMSS Genesis. (Don't really care about the TMSS stuff, just the better sound).

Like always, I get super jacked for something and it never works right away. Such is life. But here's the story:

I hook it up with a garbage SNES/Genesis 1 ac adapter. Horrible buzzing though backside audio and the same except with pops and hisses though the headphone jack.

So I look into it, cheap power adapters are a known culprit. The adapter I have is 350 milliamp. It should be 1200. Bah!!! Okay, late night Walmart trip.

I find a universal that puts out 1300 milliamps. Should be good, right? Well, kinda. The audio out the backside seems fine now. No more buzzing/humming, and the same for the headphone jack except the jack still produces the clicks and pops.

Now the best option is the original 1602 ac adapter and I'm trying to find one locally, but no luck this morning. I'll probably get one online regardless.

But here's my actual question: If the universal one I got from Walmart puts out 1300, shouldn't that work okay? Or is it the fact that regardless of output, inferior build materials could keep me from getting the best quality. I'm not enough of an electronics guy to know the answer.

I'm just trying to rule out everything before sending the system back. Since I got it for the best quality audio in stereo, that headphone jack is pretty paramount.

Thanks guys!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
If the Walmart PSU is putting out the actual 1300 it should be fine. Let me ask you a question, does it crackle and pop when you move the volume slider up and down with headphones?

I'm thinking you have one of two issues: The volume slider may be dirty or corroded, these things happen with age. You can squirt it with some DeOxit and move the sliders back and fourth a few times to work it in, it can do wonders on these things. Second possible issues, there are caps going bad that are affecting the headphone amp but not the system's internal sound. The caps on the Genesis aren't really known for going bad, but it does happen, I had to do a full recap on mine to restore sound.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
If the Walmart PSU is putting out the actual 1300 it should be fine. Let me ask you a question, does it crackle and pop when you move the volume slider up and down with headphones?

I'm thinking you have one of two issues: The volume slider may be dirty or corroded, these things happen with age. You can squirt it with some DeOxit and move the sliders back and fourth a few times to work it in, it can do wonders on these things. Second possible issues, there are caps going bad that are affecting the headphone amp but not the system's internal sound. The caps on the Genesis aren't really known for going bad, but it does happen, I had to do a full recap on mine to restore sound.

Ha! I just figured it out about 5 minutes ago. So it turns out, if the volume slider is at about 1/2 or lower, I get the horrible sounds, but if it's turned higher than that, no problem. So if I just keep it turned all the way up and adjust the volume at the TV or headset or whatever, I'm just fine. So it must just be because there's instability when there's less power going through? I can live with that.

So I'll go ahead and get some DeOxit and spray in there and see if that helps a bit. If not I'll just deal with it and keep the volume on the deck above half all the time. If it becomes a bigger issue, I'll look into the cap replacement down the road. I'm not 100% sure how to go about that, but I'll figure it out when the time comes. It's worth it to keep this one since it's in nice shape externally and it looked pretty good minus a bit of dust when I opened it up.

Thanks a ton for the advice man!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, probably just a dirty volume slider then. I had an old 80's stereo that would always have problems at the lower end of the volume dial like that before I cleaned it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Use some fader lube for the slider, nothing else.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Use some fader lube for the slider, nothing else.

Is that something that I need to go to a music shop for? I see it online but like buying local as a first choice if I can.

Should I open the case up or just spray it in there and just let it seep into the cracks?

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
IThe volume slider may be dirty or corroded, these things happen with age. You can squirt it with some DeOxit and move the sliders back and fourth a few times to work it in, it can do wonders on these things.
Like James said, don't use DeOxit D5 on faders, it can damage them. Fader lube is what you want.

Is that something that I need to go to a music shop for? I see it online but like buying local as a first choice if I can.
Should I open the case up or just spray it in there and just let it seep into the cracks?
You might be lucky enough that electronics or HiFi shops carry fader lube - here in Germany you mostly find it at Guitar/Stuido stores.
I'd open it up - you will have better control of where the lube goes and there is a plastic part sitting on the fader itself that might obstruct a direct path to the sledge.

Another solution to your problem would be to add the left and right signals to the DIN Socket on the back and build a custom cable - that way you wouldn't have to use the headphone jack at all. And you would circumvent the build in amp for a line out signal, that is sometimes sounding better. If you don't qant to build a custom cable or want an additional socket for whatever reason, you can also install an audio jack on the back (like I did). There should be plenty of guides...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Like James said, don't use DeOxit D5 on faders, it can damage them. Fader lube is what you want.

I've never even heard of fader lube. One more lesson learned from the Sifu!

Another solution to your problem would be to add the left and right signals to the DIN Socket on the back and build a custom cable - that way you wouldn't have to use the headphone jack at all. And you would circumvent the build in amp for a line out signal, that is sometimes sounding better. If you don't qant to build a custom cable or want an additional socket for whatever reason, you can also install an audio jack on the back (like I did). There should be plenty of guides...

Or hook up a Sega CD! ;)

Last edited:

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug

You might be lucky enough that electronics or HiFi shops carry fader lube - here in Germany you mostly find it at Guitar/Stuido stores.
I'd open it up - you will have better control of where the lube goes and there is a plastic part sitting on the fader itself that might obstruct a direct path to the sledge.

Alright. We've got a few music shops in town. I might consider the customization. If I'm able to get a little better sound, I'm all for it. I would probably have my buddy do the soldering though. I went halvsies on a nice optic/soldering station a few years ago for a graphics card voltage mod (9800GTXs didn't have software voltage control) so this would be a good use for that.

SegaCD.....hmmm maybe. Are they worth it? They never really seemed that appealing when they came out but then again, I was a little kid that didn't really pay attention to stuff I couldn't afford. I had a SNES and my Genesis buddies didn't have one. I haven't looked into it all that much now other than I saw that the CD edition of Earthworm Jim is the best one to get. I also heard that the model 1 Sega CD were failure prone.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
...Sega CDs have gotten rather expensive imo...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah. A few years back I would say they are absolutely worth it, but with working systems being over a hundred I'm not so sure anymore. I'd still say grab them if you can find a deal then use CDRs to play the games.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Yeah. A few years back I would say they are absolutely worth it, but with working systems being over a hundred I'm not so sure anymore. I'd still say grab them if you can find a deal then use CDRs to play the games.

Any games in particular that stand out? Like I was saying, I didn't play a ton of Genesis but I know the big name stuff. I got the impression that SegaCD was mostly just blah gameplay as the means to an end to get FMV stuff in.

Gyrian

Hardened Shock Trooper
Any games in particular that stand out? Like I was saying, I didn't play a ton of Genesis but I know the big name stuff. I got the impression that SegaCD was mostly just blah gameplay as the means to an end to get FMV stuff in.

Everyone remembers the platform for the FMV stuff, but it's actually full of fantastic games that are afforded some expansion and better music by being on CD (sort of like what you expect from PC-Engine CD).

At a glance, there's a little bit of everything, e.g. Final Fight CD, Snatcher, the Lunars, Sonic CD, Robo Aleste. Some feature really nice extras over their cartridge counterparts, like Earthworm Jim and Ecco (dat Spencer Nilsen soundtrack). It's definitely worth exploring if you have any kind of love for the Genesis.

Stay away from the US model 1, which is notoriously unreliable. JP model 1s appear to be scores more solid. They all accept CDRs, and if you have an Everdrive you can supply different region bioses.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, personal favorites are Snatcher, the Lunars, Final Fight CD, Terminator, Popful Mail, Silpheed, and Sonic CD.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug
Alright, you guys convinced me look into it more :)

It's gonna have to the back of the queue until the CMVS and the xrgb mini are taken care of. Shouldn't be that long. Only about $100 or so for both of those, right?

Well, plus shipping.

jskyboo

n00b
I highly recommend bypassing the headphone out circuitry, add an amp and output it through a different port. The sound is so much better bypassing the headphone circuitry.

Tjanko04

Mr. Big's Thug

So I finally got around to taking a look at your lineout mod. Yep, I'm gonna do that. You son of a bitch. Now I have another thing to obsess over all day until it's complete. I'll keep you updated.