KOFXIV gameplay

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Post combos, strategies, tips .... etc.

Combo system:

- There isn't any form of super move to super move cancels, even during Max Mode
- However, you can cancel almost any attack or super move (including overhead command attacks) with DM's / SDM's without any additional meters
- Almost all normal attacks and command attacks can be interrupted by activating Max Mode too, but you will only get half the meter when it's activated this way mid combos
- Max Mode gives you access to EX super moves, most of which have juggle / bounce property for follow ups. Use them effectively
- Unlike KOF13, EX super moves don't take power stocks in this game. They only deplete your Max meter a little
- Ground blow back HP+HK attacks have wall stun property
- Any DM can be cancelled to a DM of a higher level, provided it isn't the Level 2 version of the same Level 1 DM:

Possible Types:
L1DM -> L2DM, L1DM -> L3DM, L2DM -> L3DM

* Credits to neojedi

General tips:

- Since super cancels don't take additional meters, you now have new means to hit confirm / link your DM's without extra costs. Here are some cheap but effective examples:
* Terry: burn knuckle > busterwolf
* Maxima: grab dash > DM
* Chin: df LK > LK > qcb LP > DM
* Clark: f LK (overhead) > grab DM

- You have more incentive now to start Max mode off the bat instead of mid combos. EX moves grant you more set up options and they are great for starting combos (Chin's EX hcf LK+HK and Shunei's EX qcf LP+HP are good examples)

- The Max Mode meter duration length depends on the order of your character:
1st: 1000
2nd: 1250
3rd: 1500

- The push back on guard in this game is more than usual, making some links whiff

- I noticed it's harder to do cross ups combos

- For charge moves, you can charge down while running by holding df * credits to munchiaz

-------------------------------

I'm reserving this post for special character-specific attack properties and links that may go undiscovered / unnoticed during normal practice.

Here is what I managed to find so far:

Goro:

far LK is cancellable (including into df HP)

qcb LK can be cancelled into other super moves (including dp K)

dp K grab can be super cancelled into qcf x2 K DM

* effective example to utilize all this: far LK > qcb LK > dp K> qcf x2 K

Iori:

Far HP is cancellable

Vice:

hcf HK can be followed up by qcb HP

EX hcf K grabs falling opponents regardless. usage examples below*

* jump HP+HK > EX hcf K
* during opponent jump: far HK > [MAX] > EX hcf K (guaranteed anti air punish)

hcb x2 K DM has a very long range grab. Level 2's range is even longer.

Andy:

close LK > HK

far LK > HK

hcf K can be interrupted while in air by pressing down LK+HK

Ryo:

crouch LK > crouch HP

f LK parry can be done multiple time to block multiple attacks (example: King's Double Strike). Won't work on single atacks with multiple hits (example: Terry's EX Power Wave)

Yuri:

Far LK is cancellable

Gang Il:

qcf HP has armor on start up animations

EX qcf P can be followed up with a jump

dp HK and EX version can be followed up with a jump

f LK > far LK or crouch LK (opponent must be crouching)

down x2 K hits opponent while on ground

EX down x2 LK+HK hits low all over the floor (similar to Daimon's dp LP)

Kukri:

Far HK is cancellable

Mian:

qcf / qcb K follow ups can be cancelled once with another qcf / qcb K

Nelson:

the back HP part of his chain causes instant guard crush

Xanadu:

far LK is cancellable

Far HP has armor in the middle of its animation

Far HK has armor in the middle of its animation

EX hcb LK+HK has auto-guard during running animation on upper body. He's still vulnerable to low attacks such as sweeps

Chang:

EX back forward P has full armor

Shunei:

far HP > HP

Tung Fu Rue:

far HP is cancellable (including into df LP command)

Meitenkun:

The longer you charge his charge moves, the stronger they become

Geese:

close LP > HP link

qcfx2 P Raigou Reppuken DM hits opponent while on floor

Raging Storm hits opponent while on floor

If timed so that you press back K on the exact instant the opponent attacks, his qcf hcb K counter DM won't take any power stocks (possibly a bug).

Billy:

f LK > qcf x2 K DM

Hein:

f LK > qcb K (only connects in corners)

Ramon:

down x2 LP > HP crossup move also hits opponents while on the floor.

King of Dinosaurs:

far LK is cancellable

hcb HP (and EX) grab has full armor during initial animation

far HP has armor in the middle of its animation

f LP has auto-guard in the middle of its animation

back LP has auto-guard in the middle of its animation

crouch HP has armor in the middle of its animation

qcb K grabs opponent while on floor (guaranteed after qcf x2 K DM and normal grabs if opponent doesn't do a safe fall)

Nakoruru:

She has invincible frames while ascending during qcb K

Mui Mui

far HK > far LK (specific distance only)

far LK is cancellable

Love Heart

back LK hits the opponent while on ground

qcf x2 P DM hits opponent while on ground

second hit of qcb HP (and EX version) is overhead

K:

EX qcb LK+HK has auto-guard

Kula:

far LK is cancellable

far HP is cancellable

Maxima:

far, close and crouch HP have armor

far HK has armor

qcb HP has armor

Ralf

Armor guard while holding P during qcf x2 P (Galactic Phantom)

Clark:

Though it doesn't link, f LK still count as overhead after close HP

you can roll towards the opponent after a normal HK throw by holding forward

you can now hold forward then press LK+HK to do the forward hop, instead of having to press f LK+HK at the same time like in KOF13

King:

far LK has armor in its first few frames

Mai:

close LK > HK

Yuri:

far LK is cancellable

f LP still hits overhead after far LK

Kensou:

dp K has armor guard in the middle of its animation

hcf HP has auto-guard in it's initial animation

Chin:

far HP is cancellable

Antonov:

qcb HP and EX qcb LP+HP have autoguard in the middle of their animation

EX hcb LK+HK has autoguard in the middle of its animation

f LP is cancellable before or during active attack frames*

* good for hcb LK or hcb HK mixups. I add far LK in the beginning to make it more effective:

far LK > f LP > hcb LK or HK during initial frames of f LP

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
For Combo System properties, I would add the DM cancelling system which is somewhat unique:

- Any DM can be cancelled to a DM of a higher level, provided it isn't the Level 2 version of the same Level 1 DM.

Examples:
Rose: HK, b+LK, qcb+HP, qcfx2+P, qcfx2+KK, run b+LK
Bandeiras: HP, f+LP, qcf+LP, qcfx2+P, qcf, hcb+KK

Possible Types:

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Great thread.

For Meitenkun you can do is :down: :up: charge while running and holding :downf: and going to :up:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Added:

Kensou:

dp K has armor guard in the middle of its animation

Clark:

you can roll towards opponent after normal HK throw by holding forward

For Combo System properties, I would add the DM cancelling system which is somewhat unique:

- Any DM can be cancelled to a DM of a higher level, provided it isn't the Level 2 version of the same Level 1 DM.

Examples:
Rose: HK, b+LK, qcb+HP, qcfx2+P, qcfx2+KK, run b+LK
Bandeiras: HP, f+LP, qcf+LP, qcfx2+P, qcf, hcb+KK

Possible Types:

that's also helpful. Added, thanks.

Great thread.

For Meitenkun you can do is :down: :up: charge while running and holding :downf: and going to :up:

Added as general tips :)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
So I'm starting to enjoy using Xanadu after figuring how to use him.

His main bnb is crouch LP > crouch LP > far LK > qcb LP (1 hit) > DM

You can alternate between qcb LP and HP if the combo is blocked for confusing / pressuring opponent, but only LP version links on hit and it's safer too.

Crouch LP is fast and has a long reach. It's really good for starting combos.

Far LK > qcb P is also good from distance

If you manage to get near opponent, close HK is also good and links with qcb HP on hit (does more damage)

If qcb P hits, it creates perfect cross set up with normal forward jump HK

Another mix up you can do is alternating between qcf K and hcb K after the far LK. Both moves have similar starting animations, making it hard for the opponent to react properly

Crouch HP is cancellable on whiff into qcb P after either first or second hit. It's a nice way for closing in and controlling space

qcf K gives you frame advantage when blocked. The stronger the version, the higher advantage you get (EX > HK > LK). If you happen to corner the opponent and have a power meter, you can get an almost guaranteed guard crush set up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BadoorSNK/status/773635877759229952

Close HK > MAX > close HK (1hit) > EX qcf K > (repeate)

Far HP and HK are good pokes and have armor guard points. Far HP can be good against far hops

Standing LP is good against close jumps

Crouch HK is good way to punish jumps too *. It can be followed up with f LP > qcf x2 P D

* I often get trade hits, but the f LP follow up would still be possible

Crouch LK can be used against some jump attacks too but not all, so it's risky. It can be followed up with qcb LP

Both EX qcb P and EX hcb K have full armor during their moving animations, but they are very unsafe if they miss.

Xanadu creates a wave that can hit the opponent when he lands after EX qcf P (same goes for the first jump of his DM)

Last edited:

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
that's also helpful. Added, thanks.
yw.

I spent a lot of time on Zarina yesterday. Few things:

- jumping HK is a deceiving crossup when it hits high and deep
- command move df+HP is can be cancelled into combos after the first hit
- d+HP is a launcher that allows further attacks
- EX move dp+PP can reverse the direction of a max mode combo, though it only hits at certain distances

General note: Because all of her special moves carry the opponent, playing her requires switching up combos on the fly when the body reaches the corner. One example is hcb+PP moving you underneath the opponent at the corner and needing something like d+HP or back-facing dp+K to continue the combo. Another example is the qcfx2+P super whiffing depending on the angle and timing when performed in the corner.

Transitioning into this combo can be useful for corner finishers:
d+HP, qcb+HK, dp+K, cancel into DMs

Last edited:

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I havent gotten a chance to pick this up, but after messing with this game. Who do you guys consider to be the 3 most cheap/annoying characters in the cast? When i do play ill play the usual characters i like, but i also wanna play some characters to piss off my friends that will have way more time under their belts with this game. lol I like to leave ppl salty if possible.

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
I would say:

- Nakoruru: most of her moves are safe (check videos of NerdJosh or latest WNF tournament)

- Mian: endless dive kicks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSVnqE_gXD0

and maybe spamming Xanadu's qcb HP against noobs may work.

Cool, its just like SFV, i dont always play , but when I do, i use Gief. He has so much priority and i can just normal until i get in and let the 720 buffering begin. Nothing like beating ppl that spend alot of time on a game with just the basics. lol
Once they announce KOF on pc ill be on this game for sure!

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I havent gotten a chance to pick this up, but after messing with this game. Who do you guys consider to be the 3 most cheap/annoying characters in the cast? When i do play ill play the usual characters i like, but i also wanna play some characters to piss off my friends that will have way more time under their belts with this game. lol I like to leave ppl salty if possible.

Nakoruru #1 for sure. Everything she does is safe. The bird nullifies projectiles so zoners have trouble. her dash attacks and clinging to the bird make it hard for rush down. She doesn't have to take risk. Shes a problem right now.

Mian is really annoying with the dive kicks, and its hard to rush her down as well.

Love heart is pretty annoying as well. with her half screen overhead, great damage, and c.C (think CVS 2 Sagat c.HP)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
adding:

Kensou:

hcf HP has auto-guard in it's initial animation

K:

EX qcb LK+HK has auto-guard

Gang Ill:

EX down x2 LK+HK hits low all over the floor (similar to Daimon's dp LP)

Antonov:

qcb HP and EX qcb LP+HP have autoguard in the middle of their animation

EX hcb LK+HK has autoguard in the middle of its animation

f LP is cancellable before or during active attack frames*

* good for hcb LK or hcb HK mixups. I add far LK in the beginning to make it more effective:

far LK > f LP > hcb LK or HK during initial frames of f LP

Yuri:

f LP still hits overhead after far LK

Daimon:

qcb LK can be cancelled into other super moves (including dp K)

dp K grab can be super cancelled into qcf x2 K DM

* effective example to utilize all this: far LK > qcb LK > dp K> qcf x2 K

Xanadu:

Correction: EX hcb LK+HK has full armor guard on upper body only. He's vulnerable to low attacks such as sweeps :(

Vice:

hcb x2 K DM has a very long range grab. Level 2's range is even longer.

Clark:

you can now hold forward then press LK+HK to do the forward hop, instead of having to press f LK+HK at the same time like in KOF13

King of Dinosaurs:

f LP has auto-guard in the middle of its animation

back LP has auto-guard in the middle of its animation

Last edited:

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
How long do you guys honestly think the community for this game is gonna last? 3D character models aside it looks super fun, but I'm hesitant to drop $60 on it if I'm just gonna be back to playing KoF '02 within the year because the community dried up.

Also how's the netcode?

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
How long do you guys honestly think the community for this game is gonna last? 3D character models aside it looks super fun, but I'm hesitant to drop $60 on it if I'm just gonna be back to playing KoF '02 within the year because the community dried up.

Also how's the netcode?

The net code is great. They patched the game a few weeks ago, and its been pretty good since then. I do hope the community keeps the game alive. I know here in PHX ive created a KOF XIV FB group, and we have bi weekly tournaments going on

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler

Also how's the netcode?

double post, please delete

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
The net code is great. They patched the game a few weeks ago, and its been pretty good since then. I do hope the community keeps the game alive. I know here in PHX ive created a KOF XIV FB group, and we have bi weekly tournaments going on

I might have to suck it up and pick this up then, I'm torn between this and revelator but if this has a good netcode that might put me over the edge to pick up KoF instead. I also hear that Athena is super good this time around, and I've been maining her forever so I'm looking forward to seeing how good she is for myself. Also might pick up king of dinosaurs, he's looking super interesting and the idea of beating my friends up with a velociraptor is hilarious.

Also unfortunately not in Pheonix, but I'm sure I can find some people in the DC area to play with for now

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I might have to suck it up and pick this up then, I'm torn between this and revelator but if this has a good netcode that might put me over the edge to pick up KoF instead. I also hear that Athena is super good this time around, and I've been maining her forever so I'm looking forward to seeing how good she is for myself. Also might pick up king of dinosaurs, he's looking super interesting and the idea of beating my friends up with a velociraptor is hilarious.

Also unfortunately not in Pheonix, but I'm sure I can find some people in the DC area to play with for now

I use Athena in first slot, and yes she is pretty strong in this game. The game has sort of toned down characters who could just rush down all day, so Athean excels because of this. She also does great damage for little effort. Example being if she gets a command throw against a cornered opponent she can do 2x A psycho balls xx C psycho sword xx orb super for really good damage. level 1 does 400+ damage, and i believe if you use level 2 super you get 500+ damage

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I'm cautiously optimistic that the community for this game may be long-term. The biggest improvement over KOF 13 is that the insanely deep custom combo system is nearly gone, so learning a new character doesn't burn out casual players and weekend warriors. Max mode is brief and intuitive, with most max mode combos needing only 1-2 EX moves. Combine that with the high number of new characters with interesting gameplay, and you've got a winner.

Back to gameplay: I'm currently learning Luong. Some points:
- if air qcb+K hits extremely deep, then there's a window to combo qcf+LP or hcb+LK
- level 3 super has very limited use, in most cases use qcfx2+K, qcf, hcb+KK for more damage
- strangeness - against airborne opponents, qcf+LK super cancel into qcf, hcb+KK works, but qcf, hcb+K whiffs
- I keep having to remind myself to geki cancel the recovery of every CD and d+HK during matches

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
Caved and picked this game up yesterday, really enjoying it so far, so I really do hope the community sticks around. I was out of people to psycho booru to death after like two months in 13 so here's hoping 14 has some staying power.

Running Athena, King of Dinosaurs, and Nakoruru, having tons of fun. Initial thoughts briefly are that the game is a lot of fun, my favorite KoF is '02 so I'm really glad they returned to the Max-type system. Athena is as good as ever, she puts out tons of damage pretty easily, and my only real hangup is that she seems almost too easy to use. To be honest (and to neojedi's point), my main concern with this game is that it does seem a bit too easy to pick up and be pretty good at. I liked that KOF 13s custom combo system was super hard to master, and while I agree that having a much easier time doing big damage is a great way to draw a large initial playerbase, I'm afraid that the lack of depth and challenge compared to something like KoF 13 is gonna shorten this game's life.

I've only played a couple hours though, so there may well be more depth I'm missing! I'll play a bit more this week and come back with any nifty gameplay things I find

AJtheMishima

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy
Anyone know how the compatibility with ps3 sticks is with this title? Going to let my bro borrow one of my back up sticks, one is a ps3 stick the other is ps2 stick with inpin converter.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Quick update: I worked Vice into my rotation:
- hcf+KK is a perfect juggle, but only allowed to juggle once per max combo to prevent total insanity
- ie, you can start a combo with hcf+KK against a ground opponent and that doesn't use up the one time rule
- usual setup for hcf+KK in a max combo is after an EX shoulder/sweep or jumping CD
- super chains may be the weakest in the game, I can't find any outside of the trial combo Negative Gain -> L3

I'm finding Vice to be fairly effective, but she feels almost too simple compared to some of the other characters. I'm also working on Mian, but Mian is a nightmare in Training mode. Even though the qcf+P to super and dive-kick spam is simple enough, her combos do more damage when EX dive kicks are incorporated (ie, normal hits, max cancel, CD, juggle). The execution timing is torture, though.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Players found out that you can simply roll (either ways) to avoid ambiguous wake up setups. This video shows that you can utilise CD attacks to punish the roll:

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I just got this + dlc in the most recent steam sale.

I don't know if there's something wonky about my setup, or what, but I'm having a really hard time getting specials to come out consistently. I don't know if it's a timing issue or if the directional inputs aren't registering. I've only tried with a 360 pad and a stock Hori Mini 3 so far, with the Mini 3 seeming slightly better. I ran XIII really quick and had no problem. Is XIV just less forgiving?

Maybe it's dropping frames? I am running this on an older tower with a Radeon HD 6670, which the game seems to have some issues with.

Edit: I swapped in a GTX 760 and it fixed the problem.

Last edited: