Dragon Quest VII remake for 3DS

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Forget DQ7 for now. Finish Rocket Slime! I LOVE ROCKET SLIME!!!!!!!

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Forget DQ7 for now. Finish Rocket Slime! I LOVE ROCKET SLIME!!!!!!!

Agreed! It's a very fun game, I couldn't put it down when I played it a while back. I really wish that the sequel(and prequel) would've come out in English though.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I think there are english patches since S-E was too chickenshit to release it themselves. I've beat the game before a decade ago, but its been so long it feels new again which is nice. I need to rockbomb that set of walls on the mountain stage I'm on now and roll some more tanks over. I did check amazon.com, it's confirmed to deliver today. I've never played 7 before, I stayed away from Sony products until 2001 when I was working with them in my job at the time. When Nintendo and Sega both floundered in the 90s I went to NEC (Turbo Duo) for my fun, and Gameboy Color.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Don't tell me I'm the only one that ended up with this am I? I picked up some progress through it around 4 hours into it and raised one land and returned home, then once that land popped up boated back over to get some more fragments of colored tablets to work to the next. It's fun, I do like the pacing so far, just hope I can stick with it for awhile.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
I got this too this past Friday, I played it a decent amount this past weekend already. Finished a couple islands, and looking for some remaining fragments for the third. I really like the graphical changes they've made too. The removal of random encounters is an excellent addition as well. Having the monsters on the overworld. like IX, is so much better. Also the fragment radar is really handy so you know that you didn't leave anything behind. Which was one thing that was a pain in the original.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
Mine came through on Thursday. Been playing on and off. All in all, it's a good remake. The only thing I'm not so keen on is the changing of the names of villages/(some)characters etc. I get the feeling the localisation was done in the UK just because of some of the names of stuff like Emberdale (a play on Emmerdale, a soap in the UK, and they all talk with a Yorkshire accent). I suppose if you've never played the original it wouldn't matter.

The fragment radar is an awesome addition as well.

Currently in Falrod (Farraday in this localisation).

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I have to admit, thanks to my time, money and grudge I had on Sony in the past I never had this game and only got into PS1 and 2 in 2001 so it is new to me. I did have 9 on DS a decade ago, never came anywhere near finishing it (maybe 1/2) but it was great. I did fear this game would have random encounters which I wasn't too thrilled with as I'm kind of over that mood wise more often than not so my eyes popped the moment I saw the overworld slimes on the first island and I was really happy. It seems basically impossible to get them on a sneak attack from behind which isn't good but oh well. I guess if you say (and I think it was) a real bitch missing fragments in the old days I'm glad they added effectively a solid other Toriyama ripoff solution the dragon(Fragment) radar. :) Enough said though, Maribel is one annoying mouthy whiny pushy little bitch with some real insecurity issues. I prefer it when she's not talking so far.

Nintendo has on their website so first 20hours~ guide with basic bulletpoints what to do which is kind of cool if someone cares to access that, but it's not hard to find a used or PDF version of the PSX Bradygames guide online anyway.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Picked it up Saturday whilst in London and so far it's charmed the pants off me. Never owned a Playstation back in the day and having read up on the game it always seemed a little intimidating. Really enjoying it so far, prefer to play these sorts of games on handhelds and the lack of random battles is a huge bonus. It looks gorgeous too. Worth picking up, got a feeling it's gonna be one of those expensive hard to find games in a few months time.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Agreed entirely, but also I think what doubles down in making it really sweet is that it kind of picks up in the style that Dragon Warrior IV did...mini RPGs within the big RPG. By that I mean in the old NES(DS) title it had 5 chapters, the first four were stand alone adventures kind of where a set of differing people had to save a town/area and drop a dungeon or two (and in Ch5 they all eventually meet up and take on the big adventure.) This game seems like that. So far I've returned 3 islands to the world and the 4th is starting, they're like chapters. Sure it's the same characters from the start, but each spot has its own dialect of sorts, look, landscape, creatures and bad thing going on that caused it to drop off the face of the world. It's more bite sized feeling and rewarding since it's chunked off like that and you can feel great in a matter of an hour or two (so far early on) helping the people in the area, then realizing you're restoring the world as well.

It is a bit sketchy on fragments/where to go a couple times so far, but if you need it Nintendo has a first 20hrs guide online that doesn't ruin anything but will remind you by steps so you don't miss something like that which helps a lot.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
definitely picking it up later on, and selling my Playstation version as I tend to play longer RPGs more on portables than consoles these days.

just got mine this morning, will try to have a look at it between Trails of Cold Steel 2 play sessions!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm the same way for quite a few years now I can't play an RPG on a console anymore. I am not really sure why, maybe being just stuck there, whatever the case if it tops 20-30 hours forget it and that's generous. I can handle it on a handheld for like 30-40 maybe more depending on distraction so I don't even bother. I also got that PS2 port Tales of the Abyss on 3DS when it was new/new-ish and I put a lot of time on that because I could go to bed with it, the couch, or out...somehow it helps with the repetition being able to move (but also have the TV for something else, or some other distraction while mindlessly grinding levels.)

I'm the same way for quite a few years now I can't play an RPG on a console anymore. I am not really sure why, maybe being just stuck there, whatever the case if it tops 20-30 hours forget it and that's generous. I can handle it on a handheld for like 30-40 maybe more depending on distraction so I don't even bother. I also got that PS2 port Tales of the Abyss on 3DS when it was new/new-ish and I put a lot of time on that because I could go to bed with it, the couch, or out...somehow it helps with the repetition being able to move (but also have the TV for something else, or some other distraction while mindlessly grinding levels.)

Welcome to my life!!:P

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Oh shit, I should grab this. Taking a long weekend to Portland this weekend, and this would be fun to take with me.

Edit: Just ordered on Target.com and am picking it up on the way home!

Last edited:

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Anybody else happy that you can advance the dialogue with any button on the system?

I wish they went a step further and used the second left shoulder button for action options like combat and starting conversations. I like to play my RPGS one handed....

Anybody else happy that you can advance the dialogue with any button on the system?

I wish they went a step further and used the second left shoulder button for action options like combat and starting conversations. I like to play my RPGS one handed....

Ahaha first time I see someone with the same wish as me!! While commuting its often very useful!!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
One handed anime game, one could only draw a conclusion. ;)

I never played the original so I didn't know the text wouldnt' advance and man that sounds boring and probably added lots of hours to the long 100hour game clock on the thing on its own. I recall previous DS releases of DQ stuff you could hold A to have it just fire through the menus for combat but this one appears to force you to mash A to setup all your attacks.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
One handed anime game, one could only draw a conclusion. ;)

I never played the original so I didn't know the text wouldnt' advance and man that sounds boring and probably added lots of hours to the long 100hour game clock on the thing on its own. I recall previous DS releases of DQ stuff you could hold A to have it just fire through the menus for combat but this one appears to force you to mash A to setup all your attacks.

Use the tactic Don't Use Magic instead of Follow Orders and you only have to press A twice in combat.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Ahh that's interesting, would work for the prince with no spells. I'm guessing at some point that other attributes(looks like spells again broken up 3 ways) loads up too but it's blank for now. I'm up to where the people are animals and animals are people town now. I only had about 45min on it last night, was tired, but I got everyone currently up to lv11 so I should go do that cave.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
broke down and ordered a copy from Amazon. Really can't beat the prime discount on new titles.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
That's why I didn't wait in case I got burned out plus I had a $4 and change settlement credit so it got down to $29 shipped so I was all over that and don't regret it a bit.

I played it longer than usual yesterday, up to the island with the town being ravaged by pissed off robots and they're annoying if they choose to do this second hit everyone in the party slice. I did find grinding for cash/xp is easy there, just find a party with at least 2 heal slimes. Kill all but that, have everyone but Maribel defend and have her use that thorn whip. It's good crowd control but won't kill off the group once there's at least 3-4 (of 6 possible) there so it just racks up crazy cash/xp.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
How far is everybody? I'm about 45 hours in and really enjoying it.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
I'm at Satesh the dragon. need to adjust my jobs since he hits pretty hard with my current setup

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
How far is everybody? I'm about 45 hours in and really enjoying it.

I'm at 48 hours in at the moment, just finished the first Mysterious Fragment panel just after finishing Buccanham.

I'm at Satesh the dragon. need to adjust my jobs since he hits pretty hard with my current setup

What's your current job line up like?

One major change to the game that I didn't know about is the way the job system handles skills. With all base jobs you get to keep all the skills you learn when you change job, any secondary or tertiary jobs have set skills that are related to that job only. I'm not sure if it's a good change or not but it seems to work okay because they have adjusted the skills of those jobs to accommodate this.