Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Game Gear ballers post here

Mature's Make-Up Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Here's what I have, you can check reviews out easily online maybe at a place like smspower or something or sega-16.com -- http://tanooki.byethost16.com/segagamegear.html Almost all of those cost me like $3-10, a few were more but nothing was over $20 that's for certain.
    Thanks for the heads up. When I was a kid, I played a lot of Sonic, Streets of Rage, and Ninku on the system. Ninku was weird because at that time, K-Mart was selling used games and that one was a Japanese import.

Mainly, for the system, I liked side scrollers, but now I just want to play good games. Basically, anything but sports.

Geese's Limo Driver

I can't think of a sports game on there I'd tolerate really. I don't keep fluff around so what is there I actually found some fun in owning and playing and there is a selection of side scrollers, but the variety is wider than that. As I said thankfully GG is the only one not screwed up by predatory douchebags (other than Mega Man US.) If you don't care about paper (manuals, primarily boxes) you'll pay like $3-20 for whatever, mostly in the $10-ish and under level for almost any of it. Those sites and my list of games would be a solid starting point.
    Games, Manga, Transformers (G1), Japanese Robots, and more... http://tanooki.byethost16.com/
    Looking for the above stuff, Neo-Geo MVS, Dreamcast, and Gameboy(any) too.

Mature's Make-Up Artist

so I just got Power Rangers and Dragon Crystal at a LGS. Power Rangers is suprisingly fun.

Geese's Limo Driver

I've got a friend mailing me a free copy of Vampire for GG, can't wait. I had the SMS original of that as a PAL import and it's a solid good title.
    Games, Manga, Transformers (G1), Japanese Robots, and more... http://tanooki.byethost16.com/

Mature's Make-Up Artist

Funny enough, the SMS version is worth like 6 times the amount as the GG version.

Geese's Limo Driver

Stupid isn't it? UK release the US didn't get, so you get gougers often enough. If you can find one where it just flies along mostly ignored from a non-sheisty BIN it can still be ok. They're the same game though so it's dumb not to get it on GG if you have a choice or you're not some get em all collector.

Vanguard Pilot

Got my Game Gear in today and it's fucking awesome to be able to play again. I had to make myself stop playing Super Columns earlier today and go get ready for work. Just like old times.

Mailed the unit out on Monday 9/19, got it back Monday 9/26. One week on the nose. Expensive, but I'm happy.

PS - Glass screen is tits.

Frenzy Football Player

Quote Originally Posted by fenikso View Post
    Got my Game Gear in today and it's fucking awesome to be able to play again. I had to make myself stop playing Super Columns earlier today and go get ready for work. Just like old times.

Mailed the unit out on Monday 9/19, got it back Monday 9/26. One week on the nose. Expensive, but I'm happy.

PS - Glass screen is tits.
    Sorry I'm late to this party, who did you have your system modded by?

Vanguard Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by K-2 View Post
    Sorry I'm late to this party, who did you have your system modded by?
    Quote Originally Posted by fenikso View Post
    Link to the auction. I might message him later in the week and see what the full cost for re-cap, led, and glass screen is.

I've got a cap kit for one of my systems from console5, so I'll eventually end up doing one of the systems myself. But I'd love to have a working one in the meantime.

PS - I'm about to get my fourth copy of Sonic 2 (the downside of buying games in lots). If anyone wants a copy I'll drop one into a padded envelope and ship it to you at cost.
    The listing in that link. I put $40 down and sent the GG off. After the seller was certain that the system was fixable, they had me send the remaining $30, for the LED backlight mod. Total price was for new capacitors, glass screen, LED backlight, and return shipping.

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

Ok i want to jump on this band wagon. I love my game gear. Sonic games and the streets of rage games, o yea. Its still all original no new caps or lcd screen, but after reading this thread I may want to.

Pictures to come.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by gusmoney View Post
    "[M]ost agggressive gaming sites" has to be one of the strangest statements I have ever heard.

A bunch of forty-something video-gaming nerds that are only keyboard commandos and mostly sedate pussies any other hour of the day cannot really be all that aggressive, can they? (My self included.)

I love the lads here, this forum in general, and the mentality but lets not kid ourselves about this being some sort of dark web tough corner of the world.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx
    Parking in handicap spaces, while handicapped people make handicapped faces

Quote Originally Posted by Montatez View Post
    Ok i want to jump on this band wagon. I love my game gear. Sonic games and the streets of rage games, o yea. Its still all original no new caps or lcd screen, but after reading this thread I may want to.

Pictures to come.
    Play it till it breaks, but buy the cap kit, led light/lcd now.

It never hurts to be prepared.

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

IMG_20160619_185307834_TOP~01.jpg

Games I have. No picture of the GG but its just an OG GG.
    Spoiler:
    "[M]ost agggressive gaming sites" has to be one of the strangest statements I have ever heard.

A bunch of forty-something video-gaming nerds that are only keyboard commandos and mostly sedate pussies any other hour of the day cannot really be all that aggressive, can they? (My self included.)

I love the lads here, this forum in general, and the mentality but lets not kid ourselves about this being some sort of dark web tough corner of the world.

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyRear View Post
    Play it till it breaks, but buy the cap kit, led light/lcd now.
    I disagree. It's a lot easier to change the caps before they start to leak.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx

Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    I disagree. It's a lot easier to change the caps before they start to leak.
    tumblr_ns4y0dqf3T1uscg3co1_500.jpg

Schlonginator II: Judgment Dong

Vanguard Pilot

Just got my copy of Defenders of Oasis in the mail today. Going to try it out after I get off of work tonight.

Geese's Limo Driver

You should be pleased with it, as I said before it's a surprisingly well aged solid little RPG for the Game Gear which lacks such things.

That small GG library up there above is more or less very solid to stick with or a base to work from to add more.

I "Cheated" My
    NG.com membership.
    Rot Noticed.

This thread is pure evil - heavily tempted to buy a McWill modded system now w/a GG everdrive.

Ghost Of Captain Kidd

Quote Originally Posted by pixeljunkie View Post
    This thread is pure evil - heavily tempted to buy a McWill modded system now w/a GG everdrive.
    dr.-evil-laugh-gif-i16.gif
    Spoiler:

Vanguard Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by pixeljunkie View Post
    Bro, I feel your pain. I'm in over a hundred bucks in the last month thanks to this thread.

McWill modded GGs are pricey, so consider picking up an LED modded system. If you demand modern day LCD tech, definitely go for the McWill model, but if you don't mind 90's era LCD tech, then the LED mod is great.

Thou Shalt Not
    Question Rot.

Where would you go to get a McWill modded GG? Does he mod them himself? Do you need to replace the caps before you put in the McWill?
    So many questions...

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    Do you need to replace the caps before you put in the McWill?
    It's recommended, but I haven't heard that it's necessary.

Lazy SNK Employee

Quote Originally Posted by xsq View Post
    Where would you go to get a McWill modded GG? Does he mod them himself? Do you need to replace the caps before you put in the McWill?
    So many questions...
    I have never seen a McWill GG for sale except for once on another forum. I would think as preventive maintenance and since the game gear is open you may as well fix the caps. I fixed my friends Turbo Duo that had leaked all over the sound portion of the board. It was a pain and I had to fix some of the damaged traces.

I been really thinking of getting a broken game gear and fixing it. This thread does not help lol.

Formerly Giltygear
    xROTx

I haven't touched the cap replacement since I last updated about it - Just haven't had time.

I look at my workbench and feel guilty.

Hoping to get back into it this week, tho.

There's still many hidden gems on the GG. This thread hasn't even scratched the surface.
    GG modding is expensive if you are paying for it. I'm sure part of that is the low demand.

I still think this is one of the best systems to get into at the moment. Unlike many other retro systems, the game gear is just reasonable all over.
    - Low prices.
    - Low focus on boxes and manuals.
    - Huge Selection.
    - The games are very playable today.

Steam: SnethSS
    XBL:Sneth
    PSN:Sneth
    3DSxl: 1907-7977-5467
    Switch

Thread Information