Game Gear ballers post here

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
how hard is it to recap a Game Gear? I'm debating if I want to recap or just buy a cheap working system.

The problem is that there are fewer and fewer working systems. At this point I view any non re-capped GG as a ticking time bomb. The reason games are so cheap for this system, is the system.

I've never done the re-cap, but all three GGs that I own need it. Two don't work at all, and the 'working' one (no sound in speaker, only one channel audio with headphones) is the one currently in pieces.

I wish Sega had copied the Big N and released a Mega Game Gear cartridge for MD/Genesis. I love the system, but if there was a solution for playing games on the Genesis, I'd probably just stick with that.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the caps are all surface mount. It's not that difficult if there isn't damage from leaky caps, and Game Gears are cheap enough that you can throw it in the gutter and go buy another if you mess up. Majesco Game Gears are much less likely to have cap issues, but at this age even with good caps they need to be replaced too.

Gilty, that GG auction you posted looks pretty sweet. I might just scoop it.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
If my PayPal account was linked to my CC, I probably would have pulled the trigger. That was a nice bundle for the price.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, the caps are all surface mount. It's not that difficult if there isn't damage from leaky caps, and Game Gears are cheap enough that you can throw it in the gutter and go buy another if you mess up. Majesco Game Gears are much less likely to have cap issues, but at this age even with good caps they need to be replaced too.

Gilty, that GG auction you posted looks pretty sweet. I might just scoop it.

18 min left on it - Its already got the LED light in it so you can see how it looks before you curse the day you were born trying to install it.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I won it! Wee! When I get it in I'll probably check here to see if any of you dudes want some of the games, I already have the Sonic games.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I won it! Wee! When I get it in I'll probably check here to see if any of you dudes want some of the games, I already have the Sonic games.

That was one helluva score, congrats.

I saw someone selling a repair service on eBay for GG. Anybody here ever try something like that? I'm toying with the idea of sending my Game Gears off one at a time to be repaired. I'm going through withdrawls here, it's been so long since I've been able to play.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Also: Are there any good 2 player games that would make the Gear-to-Gear Cable (+2nd system) worth it?

I looked up a list of multiplayer GG games, it had the usual suspects: Puzzle games (Columns, Puyo Puyo, etc.), sports games, fighting games (including FFS), racing games (Sonic Drift 1&2, Out Run <- have to wonder if it's system link, or pass the unit on this one), and platformers (most noticeably Bubble Bobble).

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Nice! If you already have Triple Trouble... ^^

I looked up a list of multiplayer GG games, it had the usual suspects: Puzzle games (Columns, Puyo Puyo, etc.), sports games, fighting games (including FFS), racing games (Sonic Drift 1&2, Out Run <- have to wonder if it's system link, or pass the unit on this one), and platformers (most noticeably Bubble Bobble).
Thanks. Does anyone have experience playing with two systems?

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I saw someone selling a repair service on eBay for GG.

Gotta wonder if the guy's legit or if it's a way to try to scam cheap systems. Every system he gets might be mysteriously "beyond repair".

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nice! If you already have Triple Trouble... ^^

I do, but I'm not sure it's worth shipping to Germany. We can check though, and if you're willing to pay the shipping it's yours.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dug out my little box that has my old handheld stuff to fish out "all" of my Game Gear games in preparation. Apparently I had less games than I thought, All I found were Samurai Shodown, three of the Sonic games, Shinobi 2, Ninja Gaiden and the GG Everdrive. I suppose I had an even smaller collection than I thought! I do have a Master Gear converter, I probably played more SMS than GG on the thing come to think of it.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Gotta wonder if the guy's legit or if it's a way to try to scam cheap systems. Every system he gets might be mysteriously "beyond repair".

Link to the auction. I might message him later in the week and see what the full cost for re-cap, led, and glass screen is.

I've got a cap kit for one of my systems from console5, so I'll eventually end up doing one of the systems myself. But I'd love to have a working one in the meantime.

PS - I'm about to get my fourth copy of Sonic 2 (the downside of buying games in lots). If anyone wants a copy I'll drop one into a padded envelope and ship it to you at cost.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
I dug out my little box that has my old handheld stuff to fish out "all" of my Game Gear games in preparation. Apparently I had less games than I thought, All I found were Samurai Shodown, three of the Sonic games, Shinobi 2, Ninja Gaiden and the GG Everdrive. I suppose I had an even smaller collection than I thought! I do have a Master Gear converter, I probably played more SMS than GG on the thing come to think of it.

If it takes microSD and plays SMS, you should TOTALLY sell me dat everdrive.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
how hard is it to recap a Game Gear? I'm debating if I want to recap or just buy a cheap working system.

The post below you got it. If you don't have a steady hand and a proper tool to remove a surface mounted capacitor do NOT do it. It is why I has to send mine off to a friend on another forum as he does. I have some of the tools but not the talent at that level so I left it up to him + placing LED lighting into my system and removing that blood sucking CFL that gives the GG a 2hour battery life.

If you can, buy a cheap one, if not find someone who is willing to do it cheap (are you on racketboy a member there will do it very cheap if you're established) or just eat it on a second hand recap job on ebay. Personally I like OEM more or less, and therefore I won't touch the LCD replacement, plus it also has the wrong resolution/aspect ratio and looks wonky.

As FR said too -- Get in now if you must. If hipster garbage start to change their minds about handheld gaming (Gameboy, Game Gear, Lynx, etc) and decide it's not subpart bite sized shit on the go not worth their time -- it'll skyrocket. If the losers keep ignoring it, it's your cheap avenue to solid gaming experiences. And even if you detest the handhelds there are ways to get the games (far easier with Nintendo) to get the handheld stuff on a TV through real hardware.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
So it seems that I've really played surprisingly few actual Game Gear games and most of my play with it has either been the Sonic games or SMS games. I've largely ignored a huge chunk of the systems' library since they appear to be watered down versions of Genesis ports, but perhaps this was in error. What games do you guys still like to play on the thing in 2016? So far my list is:

Any of the Sonic games (although I prefer playing 1 and 2 in SMS mode)
The two Shinobi games
Ninja Gaiden

Yeah, pretty short list, but like I said I don't have a whole lot of games.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
So it seems that I've really played surprisingly few actual Game Gear games and most of my play with it has either been the Sonic games or SMS games. I've largely ignored a huge chunk of the systems' library since they appear to be watered down versions of Genesis ports, but perhaps this was in error. What games do you guys still like to play on the thing in 2016? So far my list is:

The two Shinobi games
Ninja Gaiden

I liked VF Animation.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member

The two Shinobi games
Ninja Gaiden

When I had a game gear when I was a kid, I played xmen and the lion king a ton.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
I think the only games I played back when it came out was sonic, streets of rage, columns, and prince of persia. Should still have those carts sitting in a box somewhere.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Dragon Crystal - Rouge-like and a ton of fun. Tons of replay value on this one, with randomely generated dongeons and renamed potions on every play through.
Shining Force II
Fatal Fury Special - looks and plays nice for a handheld port
Poker Face Paul series - These are nice for wasting time at a doctor's appt., etc. Very basic games, but that's a selling point to me for portables.
Super Columns

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I don't really care if they're watered down/converted SMS titles if they're fun, and even some are so radically changed they may share a name but are different entirely like Ristar which I'd recommend.

There are 3 Mickey Mouse 'Illusion' games totally worthwhile on there. Dragon Crystal, SHining Force, Halley Wars(vert shooter), Magical Puzzle Popils, Devilish, (classic) Columns, Fatal Fury and Samurai Shodown, NInja Gaiden, Shinobi 2, both Streets of Rage conversions, Wonderboy 3 are some that come to mind totally fun on the little handheld. Defenders of Oasis is one of the only JRPGs on there too released in english and it's fantastic, surprised it aged well as it doesn't feel crusty and out of date when I got it. Aerial Assault is a favorite too, horizontal shooter, had a SMS conversion but I don't think it's as good as I've had both.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
s-l1600.jpg

Wee! I got the Game Gear in today! This thing is in outstanding condition, I can tell it was filthy and forgotten at one point but the dude did a pretty good job cleaning it up. The backlight replacement is a great improvement, there are no dark spots on the screen and you don't have to crank the brightness to make everything visible. It's still an early 90's LCD though, so it's not perfect. But it's the difference between "old unplayable shit" and "hey I can have fun with this!"

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
s-l1600.jpg

Wee! I got the Game Gear in today! This thing is in outstanding condition, I can tell it was filthy and forgotten at one point but the dude did a pretty good job cleaning it up. The backlight replacement is a great improvement, there are no dark spots on the screen and you don't have to crank the brightness to make everything visible. It's still an early 90's LCD though, so it's not perfect. But it's the difference between "old unplayable shit" and "hey I can have fun with this!"

You really have to see the LED in action. The difference between that and the tube is huge, and the longer battery life makes this worth the effort on the install.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
s-l1600.jpg

so, so nice. Okay, i'm ordering a cap kit this weekend. I need my gear working again.