Game Gear ballers post here

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Gilty, I have a question for you since you have the same mod as me. Do you see any vertical streaking in your screen? For example, if you pop in a Sonic game, do you see faint streaks beneath the lettering on the left? I'm trying to decide if it's just an old LCD or if maybe all the video caps weren't replaced.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
s-l1600.jpg

Wee! I got the Game Gear in today! This thing is in outstanding condition, I can tell it was filthy and forgotten at one point but the dude did a pretty good job cleaning it up. The backlight replacement is a great improvement, there are no dark spots on the screen and you don't have to crank the brightness to make everything visible. It's still an early 90's LCD though, so it's not perfect. But it's the difference between "old unplayable shit" and "hey I can have fun with this!"
Ok, I need a piece of that action. I just messaged the eBay dude, so we'll see how that goes. This damn thread is costing me all sorts of money right meow.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Gilty, I have a question for you since you have the same mod as me. Do you see any vertical streaking in your screen? For example, if you pop in a Sonic game, do you see faint streaks beneath the lettering on the left? I'm trying to decide if it's just an old LCD or if maybe all the video caps weren't replaced.

I don't see anything like that on mine. I've heard that you don't necessarily have to do a full caps replacement, so maybe that might be the case.

He also might not have put in that resistor for the LED - I guess it makes the back light brighter but fucks with the screen.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
The vendor on eBay want $70 for the full work up. Thinking really hard about it tonight.

Shining Force is REALLY REALLY good, guys.

Yeah it is. Also re-released for 3DS, if anybody reading this thread doesn't have a GG, but wants to try it out.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Oh joy, after playing the first three battles in Shining Force, I now find out that the Everdrive has issues saving that game.

D'oh.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I'm happy to report I got back my modified Game Gear from Ghudda over on Racketboy. He took my original blue game gear guts I put into a rough og GG shell and put in both the 2 LED strip mod removing the shitty CFL and also recapped all 3 boards in the system as well. I took the guts, put it back into my blue system and the original system has its back (which was recapped too.) Now I've got 2 systems with bulletproofed caps and my blue one with a nicer even balance to the lighting with the LEDs on there, and as I've read you go from like 2.5-3hrs up to like 8hours of battery on that. I just use the wall adapter, but I don't really care, if I have to go walking with it, at least I know it won't die immediately.

He'll do your work if you have a Racketboy acct, and if you've been there awhile a lower price too. Very solid workmanship too, better than the recap one I had noticeably so. I got the entire deal done for a bit less than it should have but I sent $20 for it plus the mailing back, but I also supplied all the recap kit and the LED strip/housing kit too which would add another $20 to the price if you bought them on ebay and shipped with a GG.

Last edited:

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I've bit the bullet, and I'm sending my GG out to be repaired. Wish me luck.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Don't forget the enhanced SEGA CD version, which takes both Game Gear games and runs with them! :D

I bought the 3ds VC version of Shining Force 2 but then decided to just play the Sega CD version instead. Until 3 am. It's really good!

herb

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I have to get mine recapped as the screen is not viewable at all anymore. As for games I'd recommend Fatal Fury Special. It's really solid and surprisingly fun for a two button fighter.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Ahhh I've seen that before, how is that Gear Master? Any issues ever using it or know of a compatibility issue? I've considered it as there were a select few SMS games that didn't make the cut I like.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It's kind of a pain to get on and off, but it actually works great. I used my Game Gear more as a SMS than a GG back in the day. The one thing about it though is that the Gear's screen resolution isn't as good as an actual TV, so text can be hard to read. I could still use it to grind in Phantasy Star though.

I never ran into any compatibility issues, but I'm sure there's an oddball game here or there that doesn't work. Also, iirc it doesn't work with Majesco Game Gears.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
Ahhh I've seen that before, how is that Gear Master? Any issues ever using it or know of a compatibility issue? I've considered it as there were a select few SMS games that didn't make the cut I like.

I only have 2 SMS games: Double Dragon and Afterburner, which both works fine. Image seems darker than a Game Gear game.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
When I was reading up on Master Gear Converters, just before I bought one, there was supposedly a MGC2 that would work for the Majesco version, but I didn't do any looking to see if that was true/or if I could find any for sale. I have three GGs and they're all the Sega version.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I've heard that too, but I've never actually seen one. It probably exists somewhere.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I've seen it, on ebay some months back so it would be off the open record now but it's on the molded plastic. I thought it odd and did some google fu and found out what you said there about the device as it was an upgrade to support the later system Majesco did as it's just a slight bit different (and oddly considering them better quality.)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised it's a bit darker as it would be made for a tube TV and that source of light would differ from a GG LCD with its CFL in there -- that and they have different (larger on GG) color palette to work from too.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
Started on my cap replacement yesterday. Ran into a small hitch on the sound board - the small cap in the lower right corner MAY have lifted the pad off. I cant tell for sure, but the rest of the installation on that board went relatively smoothly.

Any advice in this case? i guess I could add more solder to it, but it looks like its holding.

This is going to take me a bit. It's tedious more than anything, but console5 has a map and a list of where each cap is supposed to go.

Fingers crossed!

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Yeah I'd put more solder just in case, like melt it over it like a cap or something. Sure you could clean it off and start over but if that pad is up then it gets more complicated especially if it's already working as it is.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
What are some of the better common Game Gear games aside from Sonic? I only have the three (NBA Jam, Master of Darkness, and Ax Battler) and looking to get your guys' thoughts.

FilthyRear

15 Year Member
"Common" as in "cheap"? I haven't really looked at prices, but I know that for the time being, they're pretty low.

Great time to buy up some lots of different games and try them out. Flip the rest to the retards down the road.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Nice selection fenikso!

I'd like a transport solution for my system, preferably something "small", that only holds the GG itself (without games etc.). Guess I'll be best off looking for a bag/case that was made for something entirely different with almost the same measurements... any of you have a tip?

Also: Are there any good 2 player games that would make the Gear-to-Gear Cable (+2nd system) worth it?

here's my stuff btw.
Spoiler:
qRsDPUP.jpg

I also have a dead Tails Adventure cart ("Game Gear"-Label) - will let it go for the shipping costs if anyone wants it.

I have this kind of pouch for my GG:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Official-OE...arry-Case-Travel-Pouch-Bag-NICE-/282175598613

Basically holds just the system with a bit of room for like 4 games maybe.

Decepticreep

Street Hoop Star
"Common" as in "cheap"? I haven't really looked at prices, but I know that for the time being, they're pretty low.

Great time to buy up some lots of different games and try them out. Flip the rest to the retards down the road.

Ok, scratch the "common" part of the question. What are some of the best games of the system period?

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Better common? GG is an odd one to talk about better and common because the truth of the matter is outside of a very few select US releases they really don't pop over $15-20, just Mega Man gets $80+ retarded and it's not even an excellent game.

I've got 40 titles and of those I'd say most of them I'd definitely recommend, problem is I don't know your tastes. If you are into Disney stuff there's 3 fantastic platformers in the ...of Illusion line starring Mickey which all just cost a few dollars each. SNK fans can pick Bust-A-Move, Fatal Fury Special and Samurai Shodown which are well made honorable conversions and they're like $10 or less. But if you want to get into the $10 or less cheap but unique stuff less mentioned -- Halley Wars, Magical Puzzle Popils, Pengo, Aerial Assault(personal favorite), Ristar (not the Genesis game), Revenge of Drancon, Wonderboy 3 Dragon's Trap, Devilish, and Dragon Crystal. Over $10 but less than $20 there's a truly fantastic RPG known as Defenders of Oasis that I'd call a must and despite age it has aged well enough not to feel sucky and dated, and only if you like tactical RPGs there is a solid single US release of Shining Force. Vampire (it's like a castlevania knockoff, but really good too) and Psychic World (sorta but not mega man-ish sort of.)

There's the usual 1st party Sonic, Tails, Ecco, Streets of Rage, etc stuff worth a grab too but that's kind of a given.

Here's what I have, you can check reviews out easily online maybe at a place like smspower or something or sega-16.com -- http://tanooki.byethost16.com/segagamegear.html Almost all of those cost me like $3-10, a few were more but nothing was over $20 that's for certain.