NEO-AES3-4 - completely dead

.holger

n00b
Hi,

I've recently fulfilled my childhood dream and bought 2 Neo Geo AES. Both in 'not tested' condition. Both have different problems. This one is has a NEO-AES3-4 board and is totally dead.

When I plug it in (directly through RGB-Scart or through a XRGB-mini Framemeister, the screen stays black, the speakers don't do any sound, the headphone jack as well no response.

Here is an image of the board:

What I've noticed is that the coil, a diode a capacitor and the voltage regulator is missing (compared to the other board):

I've ordered replacement parts for those (except the inductance coil as I was not able to find the correct one). I understand that it's not possible to say what's wrong with this board, but if someone has a picture of an unmodified NEO-AES3-4 board, it would be great to see it and to do a first visual inspection of what the previous owner has taken or added from/to this board.

Thanks a lot,
Holger

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What I've noticed is that the coil, a diode a capacitor and the voltage regulator is missing (compared to the other board):

I've ordered replacement parts for those (except the inductance coil as I was not able to find the correct one). I understand that it's not possible to say what's wrong with this board, but if someone has a picture of an unmodified NEO-AES3-4 board, it would be great to see it and to do a first visual inspection of what the previous owner has taken or added from/to this board.

Thanks a lot,
Holger

That is a 5 volt Neo Geo, they do not use a voltage regulator. Make sure you are using a 5v 2a+ center-negative AC adapter.

.holger

n00b
That is a 5 volt Neo Geo, they do not use a voltage regulator. Make sure you are using a 5v 2a+ center-negative AC adapter.

Are you sure? it really looks like somebody took the parts from the board. The back of the case says "PRO-POW-E" which in my correlates to the 9V 1A adapter (but for sure somebody could have swapped the case in the past).

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Are you sure? it really looks like somebody took the parts from the board. The back of the case says "PRO-POW-E" which in my correlates to the 9V 1A adapter (but for sure somebody could have swapped the case in the past).

This has happened before. Are you sure your AC adapter is pushing the correct amount of power?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member

SNK is notorious for hardware inconsistencies. Yes, someone didn't take those parts off the board in the past, SNK left them out on purpose. Your 9v adapter may have already killed that AES console. Only way to know is to get the correct PSU. You need 5 volt, 2 amps or more and the polarity of the connector needs to have negative on center pin and positive on the outer edge.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
And you already used a 9v adapter previously? You might have damaged the board. If you have a volt meter, you should check for voltage on a chip somewhere on the board. The BIOS is easy, pin 40 is 5 volt.

.holger

n00b
And you already used a 9v adapter previously? You might have damaged the board.
Yes, I did.

If you have a volt meter, you should check for voltage on a chip somewhere on the board. The BIOS is easy, pin 40 is 5 volt.
I have 5V between Bios Pin40 and ground next to the power plug. Do you think I can identify the damaged parts somehow (Unibios maybe for the ICs)?