bootlegs chips snk

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
How is it possible that you can copy the original SNK chips on motherboards bootlegs? Thank you for listening.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
One common way is they reverse engineer the chip - find out what makes it tick internally. Then just re-create their own approximation of the chip. They may also have the original dies and they've encapsulated them in their own package. That sort of thing could happen if dies were stolen or sold on the black market.

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
In case snk chips were broken, there would still be possible to repair enough stock in the future?

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Anyone know if this is possible in the future to repair snk chips, or clone them as they do in the bootleg motherboards?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
We can still repair genuine carts just like SNK did back in the day: replacing bad chips with eproms.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Yes, of course - it's possible to recreate the functionality of chips in an FPGA for example. People tend to do that at a system level more than a individual chip level, but I suspect in years to come that's what we are going to see more of with some systems. For example the CIA or VIC chips in a C64 are a good candidate, and I think someone has created a SID chip in FPGA form, and there was a similar product called the Nano SwinSID which emulated the SID chip in software but can be plugged in to the board to replace the actual chip. It might be a bit trickier with the Neo Geo custom chips because of the package types used (all SMD), but its totally possible.

I've also seen people 'attach' custom logic that they've designed to 'patch' failed internal logic in the chips. I was going to do the same thing when my Neo-C1 failed but it was just easier to swap the chip at the time. I have seen someone do that on YouTube though, they some partially failed address decoding logic (in the C1 I think), and they bolted their own 74 logic onto the top of the chip, routed a few wires, cut a few traces and they managed to get it working 100%, despite the chip having internal faults.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Ah, you're not referring to the rom chips, you mean the security chips and such. Yeah, can't make an Eprom of that...

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I read that with an electron microscope you can see how are the internal transistors.

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have seen on the wiki neogeo, that dedicated to the graphics chips are made by Fujitsu is true?I thought they were exclusively made by SNK.

konrad

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Due to the shortage of spare parts, if any snk chip is broken, there is some remedy, clone etc.