This right here is why WWF>WWE

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
The Ultimate Warrior fucking sucked.

Had no stamina, had no wrestling moves, had no psychology...in fact everything that makes for a good pro wrestler, he didn't have. His matches were as interesting as watching paint dry.

People remember the 80s as some sort of golden era, but much of the mid to late 80s in the WWF was awful. The legitimately talented wrestlers were not main eventers. They were never going to get out of the tag team or Intercontinental ranks. Now, the golden era was more apropos for other pro wrestling entities; All Japan, New Japan, AWA, NWA, etc. Overall wrestling quality picked up a bit for the WWF by 1991/1992 thanks to Bret Hart. The 80s were more cartoonish and larger than life with the characters, but the in-ring product was mostly a joke. Randy Savage was one of the best wrestlers they had in the 80s WWF, and it was always the Hogan show. Fuck him.

Tbh all the wrestlers from the 80's sucked in ring, but they had great personas.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Tbh all the wrestlers from the 80's sucked in ring, but they had great personas.

Sure, but you need more than just a good persona. The WWF conditioned fans to accept shit by trotting out steroid-addled, 1 dimensional wrestlers who couldn't wrestle their way out of a paper bag. When you look for the best matches the WWF had, it's easy to skip through most of the late 1980s. At the end of the day with pro wrestling, it's about what happens inside the ring.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
As a kid, and I'm confident that this was true with many other kids at the time, I loved him. A big part of it was his intensity, running into the ring every match and going bonkers. Another part of it was his interviews, which were just beyond madness. As an adult I can see that his wrestling skills were sketchy at best and downright awful at worst, but as a kid, its was a lot easier to enjoy and get invested in.

The Ultimate Warrior was a piece of shit as well.

I got to see exactly what kind of champion Warrior was during a show in Omaha. Propped up on a stretcher a few feet outside the dressing room was a Make A-Wish kid who looked to be down to his last few hours. There was not a hair left on his head, and not even his Warrior face paint could mask his sad eyes. Sickly pale and barely breathing through a ventilator tube, the boy wore a purple Warrior T-shirt and green and orange tassels tied around his biceps to honor his hero. His mother and father and an older brother and sister were with him, patiently waiting for the promised encounter with The Ultimate Warrior.

I bent over to say hello, as did all the other wrestlers on the way into the dressing room. It was odd, but there was Warrior actually sitting with us: He usually kept to himself in his private dressing room. By the time the third match started, a WWF public relations rep poked his head in and politely asked Warrior if he was ready to meet the dying boy. Warrior grunted, "In a fuckin minute. I'm busy." I thought to myself, Busy doing what, talking to a bunch of guys you can't stand anyway?

As the night wore on the family waited just outside the dressing room door, the boy hanging on to his dying wish to meet his hero. As I was returning to the dressing room after my match, I was relieved to see that they weren't there anymore; I assumed that the kid's wish had come true.

Warrior´s entrance music played while Jim and I quickly showered in hopes of beating the crowd out of the building. We'd have to hurry since Warrior never went over ten minutes. We dressed, grabbed our bags and took off. As we rounded a corner down a backstage ramp, we came upon the boy and his weary family, who had been moved there so as not to get in the way of Warrior´s entrance. I thought, "That lousy piece of shit." He'd made them wait all night, unable to summon the compassion to see this real little warrior. Hogan, Randy and countless others, including Andre? never hesitated to take the time to meet a sick, dying kid. My disgust for Warrior magnified a thousand times. To me he was a coward, a weakling and a phony hero.

SOURCE: Bret Hart's—Autobiography, Hitman: My Real Life in the Cartoon World of Wrestling

Last edited:

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I can't watch the WWE stuff, it's gotten so stupid. Well in an annoyingly unfun manufactured stupid way. The old stuff had more character, even when they were yelling and going crazy, it was just crazy enough but still I guess tame? You didn't have all the hardcore risque bullshit, everyone going out like a tattoo board of bad life decisions, all the other loud fluff bullshit going on and other random garbage. I can't really put it well to words as I just can't stand much of the new stuff at all, it has no character or feeling to it at all, definitely lacks a good personality to it too and the classic cheese. It's almost like the modern gen stuff cares more about looking fashionably presentable and hot, a model for a picture, than entertaining in the old ways of the WWF.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sure, but you need more than just a good persona. The WWF conditioned fans to accept shit by trotting out steroid-addled, 1 dimensional wrestlers who couldn't wrestle their way out of a paper bag. When you look for the best matches the WWF had, it's easy to skip through most of the late 1980s. At the end of the day with pro wrestling, it's about what happens inside the ring.

Nah, it's entertainment, man. Who cares if they can't wrestle for shit, as long as people are entertained.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
The WWF in the final few years before the name change -- end of the 1990s -- is better than the WWE is today. The company is public now and they've tamed stuff way down to be acceptable to a much younger audience and so as not to be the least bit offensive to even the most sensitive soccer mom.

But if you mean the WWF from the 1980s, fuck that shit. Other than a few key guys cutting hilarious promos, the '80s sucked.

JohnnyFever

Mr. Big's Thug
I watched Summer Slam the other night, and it pissed me off to no end. Everything is so scripted. The finishing moves are so fake they don't even try to make the look real. "Grab my arm." "No, grab my other arm." "No, grab that arm with your other arm." Ridiculous. Also, these guys look like they're more ready to model their jockeys than wrestle. None of them look particularly tough or mean or rugged.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Nah, it's entertainment, man. Who cares if they can't wrestle for shit, as long as people are entertained.

This is the point. Wrestling is sports entertainment...like the Harlem Globetrotters or something. The WWF of the 80's got this, and entertained. The over the top personalities were simply entertaining. The good guys, the heels...it was all fun to watch. Today's WWE is all telephone tough guy...too cool for school. Tits, ass, and toughguys. It's just not my bag.

I'd also argue that some of the wrestlers of the 80's were quite athletic. Macho Man was a good example. He performed 110% in the ring and it showed.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Cool video. WWF was my childhood. I never cared for WWE even though it was essentially the WWF and WCW combined. I think part of the WWF's appeal was how horribly wrong it could be in the depictions of stereotypes.

Macho Man looked like he literally walked off a Village People video.
The Iron Shiekh was the heel in the face of the Iranian conflict.
Nikolai Volkoff wasn't even Russian, but played the part because of the Cold War.

And the other characters were hilariously hyperbolic. Brutus the Barber Beefcake, the British Bulldog, the Mountie, and Big Boss Man, who would later join the forums as Vanilla Thunder.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
This is the point. Wrestling is sports entertainment...like the Harlem Globetrotters or something. The WWF of the 80's got this, and entertained. The over the top personalities were simply entertaining. The good guys, the heels...it was all fun to watch. Today's WWE is all telephone tough guy...too cool for school. Tits, ass, and toughguys. It's just not my bag.

I'd also argue that some of the wrestlers of the 80's were quite athletic. Macho Man was a good example. He performed 110% in the ring and it showed.

Well said, better than I put it last night. That's why I can't watch the stuff. Once it got into a different form of scripting, lame thug looks with the lame ink, the whore oggling(which there are better venues for anyway), faux tough guys, prepped up garbage, all of it ...bleh. You're probably right the older ones were more athletic in a different way, perhaps not as fit as those now trying to look like some abercrombie junk, but I'd imagine the 80s/earlier 90s guys could in their prime wreck these more modern clowns.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Well said, better than I put it last night. That's why I can't watch the stuff. Once it got into a different form of scripting, lame thug looks with the lame ink, the whore oggling(which there are better venues for anyway), faux tough guys, prepped up garbage, all of it ...bleh. You're probably right the older ones were more athletic in a different way, perhaps not as fit as those now trying to look like some abercrombie junk, but I'd imagine the 80s/earlier 90s guys could in their prime wreck these more modern clowns.

From time to time, there are guys who still seem to get "it". Although I really never watched him wrestle, the Rock seemed like he understood the theatrics side of professional wrestling. Another one that I enjoy watching highlight clips of his career is Daniel Bryan. He too was a "character" that was uplifting and fun vs the typical toughguy bullshit most of them are.

Pasky

Fug:DDDDD,
I think the last time I was entertained by WWE was during the Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold fued where Kurt came out with a fucking milk truck and sprayed Stone Cold down with milk in his signature fashion which usually involved beer. That shit had me rolling.

I think when Stone Cold left the first time it got real stale and I've never been able to watch it anymore, like others have said the wrestlers today seems to be just models that turned to wrestling or some shit. I loved WWF in the 80s and 90s but this soap opera for men shit they have now just isn't my thing.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Cool video. WWF was my childhood. I never cared for WWE even though it was essentially the WWF and WCW combined. I think part of the WWF's appeal was how horribly wrong it could be in the depictions of stereotypes.

Macho Man looked like he literally walked off a Village People video.
The Iron Shiekh was the heel in the face of the Iranian conflict.
Nikolai Volkoff wasn't even Russian, but played the part because of the Cold War.

And the other characters were hilariously hyperbolic. Brutus the Barber Beefcake, the British Bulldog, the Mountie, and Big Boss Man, who would later join the forums as Vanilla Thunder.

Yes, Brutus was one of my other favorites! I didn't care for the popular guys like Hulk Hogan, I liked Bam Bam Bigelow and Brutus the Barber Beefcake. I remember thinking he was cool because of his stupid fucking hedge clippers, lol.

I never got to watch much wrasslin because my parents hated it. My uncle would put it on for me when I went over his house though.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
My fave heel was Ted Debiase & his manslave Virgil. I really like the Demolition minus Crush for the tag team.

Best theme song probably goes to Akeem!

DangerousK

20 Year Member

Wrestling at it's absolute best was always about what happened in the ring. The outside ring stuff was a way to give background to why the men in the ring were fighting each other.

It's far more nuanced than simply saying "it's entertainment". Yes it's entertainment, but to say that is to only look at it skin deep.

If they can't wrestle for shit, it makes for a dull product, and the supposed end result payoff of the storyline is all for shit if the two wrestlers can't put on a good match. The story is also told through the match itself. The best wrestlers build upon things they've done together in previous matches. Guys like Hogan, Warrior, etc. could never do that. If all I want are stories, I can watch Netflix.

Sports entertainment was bullshit Vince McMahon threw out there in the 90s that everyone parroted since.

The world of wrestling also was far bigger than the WWF, and if you only ever watched the WWF, you'd have only a rudimentary understanding of what can be be done in the ring to tell a story that far exceeds outside the ring.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
The other thing being missed is that the WWE is awful for storylines now because there is no pacing. There's too much TV they have to fill on a Monday night, so you can't hold back matches the way they used to in the 90s. You could develop a storyline and play it out for over a year 20+ years ago. Look at the job they did with the Bret vs. Owen storyline that really began in late 1993 at the Survivor Series. That story didn't really "conclude" till 1995.

The WWE wastes so many storylines and matches because they have to fill 3 hours of garbage TV. It's the exact same problem WCW had when they expanded Nitro to 3 hours. Everything eventually becomes all fluff and filler. The real substance is lost.

Try watching a promotion where one storyline payoff took 6 years to happen! That's how you create tension and drama during the matches. Blowing your nut 1 minute in ruins everything.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I don't know, bro... I think WWF got bigger than all the rest because it was more entertaining than technical. The money and popularity speaks for itself.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Wrestling at it's absolute best was always about what happened in the ring. The outside ring stuff was a way to give background to why the men in the ring were fighting each other.

It's far more nuanced than simply saying "it's entertainment". Yes it's entertainment, but to say that is to only look at it skin deep.

If they can't wrestle for shit, it makes for a dull product, and the supposed end result payoff of the storyline is all for shit if the two wrestlers can't put on a good match. The story is also told through the match itself. The best wrestlers build upon things they've done together in previous matches. Guys like Hogan, Warrior, etc. could never do that. If all I want are stories, I can watch Netflix.

Sports entertainment was bullshit Vince McMahon threw out there in the 90s that everyone parroted since.

The world of wrestling also was far bigger than the WWF, and if you only ever watched the WWF, you'd have only a rudimentary understanding of what can be be done in the ring to tell a story that far exceeds outside the ring.

Was this meant to be insulting...I'm kind of confused.

Either way, I think "sports entertainment" pretty much fits the bill. It's entertainment...involving sport. Would you rather "Entertainment sport"?

I think you're missing the pot where I mentioned I liked the WWF. I didn't watch anything else or even consider myself a fan of wrestling. I was a fan of the 1980's WWF brand and the form entertainment sports it made. Rudimentary understanding or no...my cat like watching shit fall of a table when he smacks it off, I liked the WWF as a kid. Simple, dumb, rudimentary...doesn't matter. We're both entertained. Sports-entertained.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
I thought that was a termed he used to get around drug laws...

Athletic commissions. WWF was banned from NJ at one time in the late-80s, early-90s because of the whole "wrestling is real" belief. They wouldn't submit to the athletic commission. Vince pretty much destroyed kayfabe to get past all that.

DangerousK

20 Year Member
I don't know, bro... I think WWF got bigger than all the rest because it was more entertaining than technical. The money and popularity speaks for itself.

Doesn't make for a better product is more of what I am getting at. WWE's NXT promotion outshines the actual WWE because the wrestling is far better as are the wrestlers.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
...in your opinion.

I don't remember you being such a damn aspie man. It's a fucking show, first and foremost. If the costuming and bullshit rhetoric between these guys didn't clue you in, nothing will I guess. That's what brought in the crowds, not technical wrestling. Nobody watches actual professional wrestling.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
That's what brought in the crowds, not technical wrestling. Nobody watches actual professional wrestling.

I dunno, man... I've always enjoyed watching guys like Benoit and Malenko. Ability trumps theatrics for me, for sure.

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I dunno, man... I've always enjoyed watching guys like Benoit and Malenko. Ability trumps theatrics for me, for sure.

Exactly this. If you have an amazing character but then you're shit in the ring then it's all for nought imo.