TIME's "The 50 Best Video Games of All Time" list

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I have no problem with sports games being on a all time gaming list but definitely not NFL2k5 lol. If NBA Jam, Mike Tysons Punchout, Super Tecmo bowl or other great sports games made it to a all time gaming list, it would be fine by me. I would for sure put Punchout in my top 50.

That's the problem with any "top-xxx" list. You kind of need to know who/why that list is being made. Top 50 most influential games? Top 50 groundbreaking titles? Top 50 franchises? Top 50 personal favorites? Top 50 games that are still playable to this day?

Any "all-time" list is pretty much a big pile of personal opinion.

Wait wait wait.

MK is on this list but not SF?

Fuck off, Time Magazine.

Bingo. Any list that contains a modified SFII clone (like MK) but not SFII, which was massively more popular and more influential, isn't a good list.

Last edited:

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
this is the same magazine that counted anita sarkeesian as one of the top 100 most influential people.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Please explain this statement.

Well...I kind of felt that was self explanatory...but...

SFII blew the doors open for one on one, joy stick sequence based move (special attacks, secret move, whatever you want to call it) arcade fighting. It was released in Feb 1991. By 1992, the flood of clones hit the market and a vast majority of them we pretty lousy. MK I was released in Oct of 1992 and took the approach of modifying SFII'ish gameplay, special moves but with added features, like finishing moves.

I'm guessing you'd counter argue that there were fighting games before SFII but much like "Nirvana-vs-Sonic Youth and the whole stupid "grunge" movement arguement, SFII was the one that pushed that type of game into mainstream.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Hahahahaha... so they left the arcades around '82 (Pong, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, Galaga & Ms. Pac-Man) and just threw in Mortal Kombat, instead of SFII, because the former is a Western production. Effing casual nationalists. So, besides Big N & Namco nothing worthwhile happened in arcades post 1982, right? Nah, let's stick to consoles, preferably in HD.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
It's not a bad list by any means - Tetris is there, but Mario World isn't. They totally left off niche games that are so familiar to all of us like Samurai Shodown II, KoF '98, and Card Fighters Clash for NGPC.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
1. The only sports game on the list should be NHL '94 (Sega Genesis)
2. Angry Birds... are they high?
3. Starcraft II instead of the original!? The original is way better. Fuck man, they still play the first one competitively in South Korea.
4. Is Microsoft Flight Simulator even a game?
5. Do they really like Tetris, or do they just have to put it at #1 because they see everyone else doing it? It's a great game and I love it, but how many people still care about it?
6. Yeah... MK instead of SF, like others have said, is ludicrous.

...They even got Quake's screenshot wrong, it's from Quake II. Fuggin' idiots. :oh_no:

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That's the problem with any "top-xxx" list. You kind of need to know who/why that list is being made. Top 50 most influential games? Top 50 groundbreaking titles? Top 50 franchises? Top 50 personal favorites? Top 50 games that are still playable to this day?

Any "all-time" list is pretty much a big pile of personal opinion.

Bingo. Any list that contains a modified SFII clone (like MK) but not SFII, which was massively more popular and more influential, isn't a good list.

Exactly, it's all opinion. This Times list is shit but these all time game lists always leave out a ton of games that we like. I prefer lists based on the console, genre, or era. There are just way too many good games from so many different consoles to put in a top 50 list.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
No Yu Suzuki love?
Also is RE4 more top 50 material than RE1? In the grand scheme of things. I know the last point is arguable

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Listicles are designed for the sole purpose of getting people riled up enough to discuss it on message boards and drive traffic. I refuse to participate.

Fuck Time Magazine and fuck the corpse of the magazine industry.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
2 N64 games in the top 3 invalidates whatever they were attempting here.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I was happy to see Bioshock there, but no Metroid anything and no Street Fighter anything?

They also seem to have "Best" confused with "Important". Zork is a great example of that.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
even ignoring games that should be there but aren't - including starcraft 2 over brood war is one of the most laughable things i've ever seen. top XX lists are obviously subjective but that's not even trying.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
They also seem to have "Best" confused with "Important". Zork is a great example of that.
This is a really good point. The overall list is a failure regardless of which approach they were taking, but it's closer to being a decent "most important" list than a "best" list. How long could a modern gamer stay entertained by Pong?

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
This is a really good point. The overall list is a failure regardless of which approach they were taking, but it's closer to being a decent "most important" list than a "best" list. How long could a modern gamer stay entertained by Pong?

About as long as anyone since 1978 when Space Invaders came out, which is not very long.

A very important game to be sure, but one of the top 50 best? That's a stretch. If anything, it belongs on the tail end of that list.

Anyways, I try not to get upset at these as they're always heavily subjective.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
"Representing multiple generations of gamers, TIME痴 tech team put more than 150 nominees through a multistage ranking process to compile a cross-section of gaming痴 best ideas across nearly four decades. Here are our picks for the 50 greatest video games of all time."

Sounds really biased to me. Honestly just seems like they drew names from a hat

Last edited:

Hakkai

Dodgeball Yakuza
15 Year Member
Half the list makes sense while others leave shaking my head; Best ideas does not equate better game. I Personally think they should show the whole 150 roster as an honorable mention if they were going that route.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
No Yu Suzuki love?
Also is RE4 more top 50 material than RE1? In the grand scheme of things. I know the last point is arguable

I know, wtf. I don't think I saw a single SEGA game on the entire list. Not even a Sonic game which is normally fodder for these kind of lists, obviously their editors were Nintendo kids.

Newsdee

Rugal's Thug
I didn't bother to check, but I wouldn't be surprised if this list is a paid advertisement for 1 or 2 recent games listed on there. Or maybe it's an ad for the Nintendo Virtual Console titles.

Kind of like those articles about a mildly interesting topic where at the end they talk about some random company that happens to specialize on it. Those are normally paid editorials.

Last edited: