TIME's "The 50 Best Video Games of All Time" list

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
TIME's "The 50 Best Video Games of All Time" list
http://time.com/4458554/best-video-games-all-time/

Some odd choices on this list... like King's Quest III, which has some parts that are frustratingly tedious to play or type. King's Quest VI or...better yet, any of the Lucasarts games would've been a better pick instead.

And then there are oddities like how they list both individual games, but also general franchises. For example, they'll say "Super Smash Bros.," but show "Super Smash Bros. Melee."

Last edited:

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Two N64 titles in the top 3? That should make plenty of people here quite happy :D

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I could argue about the placement of every single one of those games, but to sum it up I'll just say angry birds is in the top 50 games of all time and not a single iteration of street fighter is, which allows me to ignore the entire thing.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
No street fighter. Shit list.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Agree that super turbo should have been on the list...

And where the fuck was super Mario world?

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
I could argue about the placement of every single one of those games, but to sum it up I'll just say angry birds is in the top 50 games of all time and not a single iteration of street fighter is, which allows me to ignore the entire thing.

i havent even read it yet. i scrolled down to this comment and legit gasped. really?!

not only is the SF2 series still one of the greatest set of fighting games in the history of the genre, but it was a goddamn cultural phenomenon.

How'd they miss that one Jesus Christ its a layup :lolz:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Well, it's Time Magazine. With that as a starting point, I can't even work up enough curiosity to look at the list.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
3. OoT
2. Mario 64
1. Tetris

Does Time understand what it's getting into here? Are they prepared for Mario to beat Rain in the person of the year poll?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I could argue about the placement of every single one of those games, but to sum it up I'll just say angry birds is in the top 50 games of all time and not a single iteration of Pokemon Go is, which allows me to ignore the entire thing.

No Pokemon Go. Shit list.

Agree that Pokemon Go should have been on the list...

And where the fuck was Pokemon Snap?

Beat me to it.

Where's Pokemon Go?

FTFY guys

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
It's hard to select 50 all-time classics when creating a list like this, but when you're padding it with NFL 2K5, MK1, cell phone games, and practically any decent modern game, there's just no room for the good stuff.

This list also has an overall slant toward PC gaming, which causes most of the great console titles to be left off. No Metroids, Sonic the Hedgehogs, Street Fighters, Metal Gears, etc.

Oh well. I didn't expect much going in.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Also - no Metal Gear Solid. Blah.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Alot of the games on this list would not make my top 50 but I like how they added games from all different generations. Street Fighter II turbo should have definitely been on the list. I can't recall one kid in my neighborhood not owning a console version or playing it at a local arcade place.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I may not agree with the list, I don't in fact, but it was a nice read I thought the approach taken was very respectful.
The list is heavily western-centric and bloated with unnecessary titles which take the place of other potential candidates. Mortal Kombat? Really? And by the same token no SF or even by extension Final Fight or Streets of Rage. No Metroid, Sonic or Rez.
Strange. But as I say I enjoyed the piece, as an opinion

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Some odd choices on this list... like King's Quest III, which has some parts that are frustratingly tedious to play or type. King's Quest VI or...better yet, any of the Lucasarts games would've been a better pick instead.
King's Quest III is one of the few entries I don't have a problem with. The Sierra games were carrying the PC gaming torch for a long time, and King's Quest III was the best game from the height of that era (Quest for Glory II comes close, but wasn't as accessible to the mainstream). KQVI was a Johnny-come-lately type of game that showed up after the world had mostly moved on from Sierra.

The real problems with this list are omitting the following game-changers / genre-inventors:
Metal Gear Solid
Metroid Prime
Final Fantasy Tactics
Street Fighter II

Also, need to reverse several bad decisions on series representatives as follows:
Pac Man over Ms Pac Man
Starcraft 1 over Starcraft II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night over Castlevania
OG Tomb Raider over QTE-fest from last year

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Time magazine is quite shit ..so it is natural that the list is shit also.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
This ought to be good...I'm going to post this, read it, then edit this post...

Yeah...kinda what I thought, a few good points, a shit ton of bad ones. Some silly biased writing.

If you make an "of all time" game list, pretty much no sports title should be on it. Like many had mentioned, no Metal Gear Solid is a huge one.

I could argue all of those things point by point, but there's no need.

Some of my "of all time" games?

Contra
River City Ransom
Super Metroid
Zelda LttP
Streets of Rage 2
Castlevania (pick your poison, original, III, IV, Bloodlines, SotN, X)
Metal Gear Solid
Super Mario World
........there's plenty more...

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Mortal Kombat is on this list? Past the blood it's a wooden, hollow game. Okay the Mega CD had an awesome soundtrack but that's it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have no problem with sports games being on a all time gaming list but definitely not NFL2k5 lol. If NBA Jam, Mike Tysons Punchout, Super Tecmo bowl or other great sports games made it to a all time gaming list, it would be fine by me. I would for sure put Punchout in my top 50.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
How can you have a best video game list without M.U.L.E.

Overall, I don't agree with a lot of their picks, while at the same time I don't give a shit about Time magazine either, so it balances out. Sort of how my angry half is balanced out by my opposite indifferent half.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Mortal Kombat is on this list? Past the blood it's a wooden, hollow game. Okay the Mega CD had an awesome soundtrack but that's it.

Wait wait wait.

MK is on this list but not SF?

Fuck off, Time Magazine.