How many games did you have per system?

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't remember - but it was a different time back then. A time when going to a garage sale with $20 would get you 10 NES games. Or you could ransack Electronics Boutique $0.25 clearance bin.

Also, back then I used to borrow and trade games with my school chums. Now when I ask my coworkers if they want to borrow or trade any games they look at me like I am crazy and tell me to "STFU, you pathetic man-child"...

I listed the games I had new, but not used. My dad was a big pawn shop guy and I landed some pretty nice NES deals around 93-95. After 1995 and pre Ebay (maybe 1998 or so), NES games were everywhere, and dirt cheap. I picked up top level NES titles for criminal low amounts back when ($1, 2, 5 tops). SNES games only hit the $5-10 mark at their lowest, but that was about it. I bought a copy of SNES Final Fight Guy for $10 once...god.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
i don't think even one of my games was legit for the commodore 64 when i owned one. come to think of it, i don't remember any one owning legit games for the c64. the only time i came across official software for the system was in libraries.

Lol, that's pretty much my story too. We had a C64 but I never questioned the huge container of floppy disks my Dad would bring back from friend's places and with handwritten labels on them. Later on in Elementary school we got a NES, we owned maybe 3 games total but I would rent all the time. Bought my Genesis and owned maybe 12 games outright as a kid, again I rented a ton and later saved up to buy a SegaCD as well. I had another 8 games or so for the SegaCD when it was current.

When I got my PS1 from a stoner in high school I was old enough to buy games more with my own money so I had about 30 I think before the PS2 came out. I also chipped my PS1 so buying games was less common, I still have binders full of burns for PS1/2, Saturn and Dreamcast.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I listed the games I had new, but not used. My dad was a big pawn shop guy and I landed some pretty nice NES deals around 93-95. After 1995 and pre Ebay (maybe 1998 or so), NES games were everywhere, and dirt cheap. I picked up top level NES titles for criminal low amounts back when ($1, 2, 5 tops). SNES games only hit the $5-10 mark at their lowest, but that was about it. I bought a copy of SNES Final Fight Guy for $10 once...god.

Those were the best times! That's when I picked up most of my NES, SNES, and Genesis games as well.

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
My childhood sysytem was an atari 2600 and i had to rely on birthdays and xmas for new games so i had about 15 max.
Once i could afford my own stuff though that all changed.

geise

Mickey's Coach
Those were the best times! That's when I picked up most of my NES, SNES, and Genesis games as well.

Lol! I got Snatcher for Sega cd complete at Electronics Boutique for $4 in 96. Everyone was on the 32-bit systems bandwagon then. Not to mention no one really knew who kojima was here stateside.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nice! I did have a Sega CD back in the day, and grabbed a few good clearance deals. I got the bulk of my games later when the internet was around but people still didn't care about the system.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
No more than 5 per system starting with the release of nes but I was more than happy mastering those I had and occasionally being able to rent one.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I only ever had 3-4 games per system (NES, SNES, Genesis) and, with the exception of 3 of those games, they were bought with money earned from my part time job. My parents were big on renting though, and sometimes, they would rent a game they liked out for weeks at a time (Dragon Warrior series, Legend of Zelda, Willow). It was when I bought a PS1 that I started to ramp things up quite a bit.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Hardly any as a kid. Most of the time I just rented. The other times when I lived by a used game shop I bought cheap, used and almost EoL like with N64 and DC. Also because I traded games in for newer ones my library size hardly grew.

NES, 2
Genesis, 2
Game Gear, 2
N64, 2
DC, ~10
GBA, ~5-8
GCN, ~10-20
Wii, 10-20, ~40 if you add VC
DS, ~10-20
3DS, 8-10
Wii U, 6-10

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
As a kid maybe 4 or 5. But rentals were plentiful.

Until one Xmas. There was a giant box. Like big enough for me to get into big. Opened it, another box, then another, then another...

Once I got to the center. Gold.

Mercs
Kid Chameleon
SOR1&2
Sonic 2
ESWAT
Ecco
Martial Champions
Cyborg Justice
Mutant League Football
Chakaan
Fatal Labyrinth

I damn near fainted. Whatever store my parents went to had a huge Sega clearance sale and they fucking cleaned up. Before that I only had Sonic1 and 2 Crude Dudes.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dude, amazing score. Mutant League is my favorite football game of all time. :lolz:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Dude, SOR2 at 6AM for the first time, with the Genny plugged into a yellow Sony sports boombox and that shit pumping. Second only to realizing Mercs having 2 game modes that evening.

BOOM!

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That was a very merry Christmas!

Reminds me of the year I got a Sega CD. At the time it was still a current system but was winding down, my parents bought the system and a bunch of used games for a song. I was accustomed to getting one, maybe 2 games at Christmas if I was lucky. I forget exactly what I had, but I do remember getting Final Fight CD, Terminator CD, Dune, Sewer Shark (lol) and one or two other games. It was awesome.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
As a kid, the only video game related item I ever received was when a family friend game my sister and myself a NES for Christmas, 1988.

My wife/sister did surprise me on my birthday, 2004 when they got me a super sweet GameCube/GBA package. My sister got me the black GC with the black GBA adapter base, and my wife got me a GBA Advanced SP with Zelda III.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I worked my ass off delivering newspapers to buy a Commodore 64. Thanks to swapping disks with other kids at school I never had to buy much.

The only Xmas I got a game system was when the Atari 2600 finally came to our house. After the Atari my parents were dead set against the NES for some reason. So I had to get my fix at friend's houses and kids I babysat for.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I had around 15 2600 games.

Due to arcades, the next system I owned was a Genesis.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I worked my ass off delivering newspapers to buy a Commodore 64. Thanks to swapping disks with other kids at school I never had to buy much.

The only Xmas I got a game system was when the Atari 2600 finally came to our house. After the Atari my parents were dead set against the NES for some reason. So I had to get my fix at friend's houses and kids I babysat for.

Same here...Sumer of 1992, my SNES, copy of Final Fantasy II, and TV were all on me. I had to do od jobs all winter (shoveling snow, etc) and work the fields detasseling corn summer of '92 to buy all of that.

...but once I did...it was serious business.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
when I first got my NES I think I got Super Mario Brothers, Duck Hunt and Kung Fu.

But I never really played Super Mario Brothers for a long time because I got scared by level 2, that dungeon is kinda creepy you have to admit.

-SD-

Camel Slug
I had about 20 boxed NES games that were brought new for me and about 10 loose games that were in a constant trading cycle with a couple of friends; everyone else at primary school had a Master System.

I didn't have many Super Famicom games, only about 10, but again with the Megadrive everyone had one so the games were constantly traded around.

Gameboy games became a currency of sorts at secondary school, you could get them for lunch money, pack of fags a spliff etc. It's the system I've played the most games on due to this. I did have about 30 boxed games though, plus a ton of loose carts.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
As a kid, the only video game related item I ever received was when a family friend game my sister and myself a NES for Christmas, 1988.

My wife/sister did surprise me on my birthday, 2004 when they got me a super sweet GameCube/GBA package. My sister got me the black GC with the black GBA adapter base, and my wife got me a GBA Advanced SP with Zelda III.

Oh man, Cube, GBA, and the player is an awesome gift!

I was in the club where I pretty much only got two games a year, one for christmas, one for my birthday. Aside from that, may parents didn't just buy me things that weren't necessities. One time on my birthday, I think I was turning 14 and the SNES was in full swing. My mom had no clue, so she just took me to the local game store and let me pick out any (used) game I wanted. I ended up grabbing Starfox, which was fairly new so it had a price of $35. My mom kept trying to get me to buy Populus, which was $17. :keke:

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
About 5-10 on average.

NES and Famicom were a lot higher (30-40)

For NES though it was mostly through trading baseball cards, MUSCLE figures, etc for NES games in addition to birthdays, christmas, and oooh wow mom is in a good mood today purchases haha.

For Famicom, games in Japan that sat on shelves for a while were heavily discounted. Cheaper than games on sale in the US, so there were times I was able to score 3-5 games in one shot. Note this was in the 80s before the wave of second hand shops appeared in Japan. I think those types of shops that foreigners today like to visit and buy games didn't become abundant until the late 90s/early 2000s?