Must have Fighters on PSx/PS2

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Bushido blade is such a unique fighter and a ton of fun with frends. It was definitely one of the more popular titles in my dorm back then.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
3dd97eb05e0b7d87af7a37efb8990958.jpg

Yea, I got it.

never even heard of this one.

Whats that called?

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Bushido Blade for sure.

Bloody roar was good as well.

Marvel vs Capcom 2!

And....
Spoiler:
ARMORED CORE!!!

Reigami

n00b
Are we talking US releases or including Japanese Imports?

Awesome Imports:

PS2:
Melty Blood Acress Again
King of Fighters 98 Ultimate
King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match
Hokuto no Ken
Sengoku Basara X

PS2 (US):
Arcana Hearts
(hmmm I can't think of too many exclusive past this)

Shin9999

King's Dry Cleaner
20 Year Member
PS1:
Wu-tang,
Bloody Roar 1&2
Bushido Blade
Evil Zone
Toshinden
Rival Schools (Man I miss playing this for story mode alone)
Tobal No2
Street Fighter Ex Plus Alpha
DOA 1 and 2
Ehrigez God Bless the ring ( Cloud and Tifa!)

Most of these are already listed but man they were classics back in the day.

Last edited:

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
For PSONE my picks are
KOF 98
Bushido blade
CVS pro
Samurai Shodown 3 psone books version
Real bout special dominated mind
Inu Yasha
Asuka 120% final edition
Advance V.G. 2
Power Instinct 2
Angel Eyes

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution and Tekken Tag Tournament are both fantastic 3D fighters on PS2. SoulCalibur II is nice too but I always go for the Gamecube version.

If you're into DBZ there's a lot to work with on PS2. Budokai 1-3 and Infinite World were developed by Dimps, and while nothing special they're solid dial-a-combo 3D fighters. The Budokai Tenkaichi games are essentially button mashers, though. Not a lot to them, gameplay-wise. Super Dragon Ball Z is a weird Street Fighter-y thing (headed by Noritaka Funamizu and Akira Nishitani, so it's no coincidence).

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
lest I am mistaken no one mentioned this gem. in my opinion the best non port fighting game for the system. the design is arcade quality, almost makes me think it was probably going to come out for arcade
Screen shot 2016-12-19 at 9.00.26 PM.png
Screen shot 2016-12-19 at 9.00.56 PM.png

edit:
here's footage. the intermissions and stuff - old school good quality anime - and graphically - in my opinion it still fares well (but then I am one of the few who doesn't think PSX graphics have aged badly)

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
(Critical Blow is the sequel to this game - I've always wanted to play it but never got a chance to. I like the fact that in both cases the games look like 2D games in 3D. a bit like Wild Ambition but moreso I find, in the case of Critical Blow. talkin grafix here)

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
My favorite PS2 fighters are
KOF 02 Unlimited match
KOF 98 Ultimate match
KOF XI

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You know it's automatically cooler if you get the import version, especially if you can't actually read the Japanese.

funkified

Edo Express Delivery Guy
No love for CvS2? It was the one fighter that fuelled many stoned nights with my buddies

NGCDFreak

Belnar Institute Student
You know it's automatically cooler if you get the import version, especially if you can't actually read the Japanese.

True. And Critical Blow seems like an interesting fighter to check out thanks.
Oh I prefer CVS 2 on the PS2 instead of the Dreamcast version.

Last edited:

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
^^^^ ... o_O... Any special reason you prefer the PS2 version over arcade perfect DC version? Better stick choices?

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
^^^^ ... o_O... Any special reason you prefer the PS2 version over arcade perfect DC version? Better stick choices?

at least the ps2 version is better than the gamecube port. the game looked like a pile of crap on the gamecube.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Personally I don't have a problem with the PS2 version. It's better then the GC or Xbox versions because of the rebalancing the EO versions got but it just seemed like a weird statement and thought the reason why might be interesting.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Personally I don't have a problem with the PS2 version. It's better then the GC or Xbox versions because of the rebalancing the EO versions got but it just seemed like a weird statement and thought the reason why might be interesting.

the dreamcast version is without a doubt the best one. i was just pointing out that the ps2 version is still good. probably the second to the dreamcast port. but even the ps2 port just felt like shovelware.

the dreamcast version is without a doubt the best one. i was just pointing out that the ps2 version is still good. probably the second to the dreamcast port. but even the ps2 port just felt like shovelware.

DC also supports 480p I believe, good for those with VGA monitors. PS2 is only 480i.