The "Relaxing" game of your choice.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
My new relaxing game of choice is rocket league, so awesome and so chill!

mirkvid

n00b
Been replaying the original Katamari Damacy this week. It's mostly relaxing, though the controlls can be annoying at times. Awesome soundtrack too, very unique.

GreyFox

n00b
I tend to go back to a trio of Megadrive titles. Castle of Illusion, GoldenAxe and Streets of Rage 2.

Castle of Illusion is just such a magical game. Graphically lovely, catchy music and captures Mickey's personality perfectly. The Forest level, Toy level, the bosses and more. I know the game inside out and can play it on auto pilot. Just a soothing game all round and also evokes happy childhood memories of playing alternating goes with my older sister.

GoldenAxe - played the arcade, played the Megadrive game. Definition of a straight forward hack and slash game, limits moves and variety but just epic music and memorable in so many ways. Again another game you can just chill playing.

Streets of Rage 2 - just so good. Awesome graphics, truly epic music with every track a stand out, super tight responsive gameplay. Sometimes I'll just play a level of the game and then quit out. Just something about it hits the spot every time. I remember at the time reviews all gushed about it but had the sole criticism that the game was too short/easy and lacked replayability. Here I am playing it regularly twenty odd years after first getting it (a couple of weeks after it was released)

There's a few others - mainly from that era of gaming.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Pulstar. Specifically, Stage 2. The stage pace, music, and the need to constantly charge shot anything that moves always helps keep my mind off of things if I want to zone out a bit:

Last edited:

Caprica Orange

Pao Pao cafe VIP,
20 Year Member
Strange choices perhaps but there's something about Street Fighter Zero 1 and 2 I find relaxing. Same goes for KOF 94 and 95....

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
the game was too short/easy and lacked replayability. Here I am playing it regularly twenty odd years after first getting it (a couple of weeks after it was released)

I disagree with the easy part. Even if I have managed to complete it on "very hard" (which may classify as it being "easy", LOL), I have not completed it on "mania" difficulty level. That is not easy IMHO.

GreyFox

n00b
Me too - I was just commenting that at the time many magazine reviews only criticism was the challenge in terms of "seeing everything the game has to offer" which I guess is valid for the easier difficulties. Suspect many of them didn't ramp up the difficulty levels and missed the point of the game. Mistaking length (to play from start to finish) for depth (things to discover, gameplay, replay value etc)

Essentially the game is so fun that it is just a joy to play regardless of the difficulty level etc

Another game I sometimes fire up for a quick relaxing play is Batman Returns on the SNES. Just something about bashing together enemy heads or throwing them into the background.

Another thing I do from time to time is just fire up a game to put its music on (yay for sound tests)

Also to the poster who mentioned it earlier I totally get Alpha 2 as a relaxing game. For me it has one of the better balances of pick up and play and technical skills and also memorable, diverse characters and lovely backgrounds too. Ace game!

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Strange choices perhaps but there's something about Street Fighter Zero 1 and 2 I find relaxing. Same goes for KOF 94 and 95....

KOF95 fills me with nothing but stress in the later stages when it reads inputs.

Still the best one, tho.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member

yes!. there is something very soothing about the alpha games, especially alpha 1.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You know, Megaman 2 and Megaman X can go in there too, I bet the majority here can beat those games with their eyes closed, lol.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Super Mario World and strangely Ranger X.

Good choices. As for Ranger X, the jet-pack flights have such soothing physics, almost put me to sleep as well, especially while vandalizing that stage 4 highrise -- a pity it's only 30fps. Ah, well...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Any of the Street Fighter 3 titles, they're excellently chilled. I find the 3 of them give off an otherworldly feel, its such a break from the rest atmospherically.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
As of late, I like Top Player's Golf for unwinding, even if I'm not overly amazing at it. I usually finish an 18 hole course with a positive score. It's always satisfying to get a birdie on a hole. Better yet, sink the ball without being on the green.

GreyFox

n00b
Agree with Golf games as relaxing. Perfect blend of fierce concentration while playing the shot but the rest of the time completely switching off. I wish I had a copy of Top Players Golf for my AES as I am a big fan from the little I have played of it but I definitely remember playing PGA Tour Golf 2 for hours and hours on my Megadrive back in the day.