The "Relaxing" game of your choice.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
My favorite relaxation game is Zanac Neo on the PS1, even on the normal setting you can 1cc it with about 25 extends left. It features some good D'n'B tracks, top special f/x and is long enough to make you forget anything.

Harmful Park and Gaia Seed qualify as well. The former bacause of all the colorful settings, the latter because of the superbly eclectic music. Both ease up on their difficulty as well. Then, if you have the VGA box, hit Rez on the DC. Ico on the PS2 (use its 240p) is good, too. There is Snatcher on the Sega-CD of course, but it's so calm, it can easily turn to Snorer for you.

The last, but certainly not least, on my list would be Out Run on the Saturn: the smooth mode (60fps!) is doing God's work here and out running each car is like counting sheep. By the end of your European journey, you'll be slackened like a light summer breeze. Enjoy!

I love shmups and arcade titles but they amp me up, if I want to relax I play a PSX rpg such as Suikoden or Legend of Mana, or if I want to be really comfortable I play games on one of handhelds on the couch or in bed, usually RPGs also.

As a video game addict shmups are my upper and RPGs are my downer.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Probably considered a boring or playing it easy response, but I can't think of anything more relaxing than good old Sim City Classic (aka: Micropolis as freeware) to get the job done. Unless you play it on Hard, going with default easy or medium to have a decent cash supply to start it's not hard to enjoy this one without or even with disasters turned on. Just lay some road, some zoning blocks, etc, and let go. Try for order or ordered chaos, it's relaxing and an easy way to piss hours and not sweat it.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Quite a few games, mostly from my childhood

Ocarina of Time (N64)
Starfox 64 (N64)
Jackal (NES)
Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)
Metroid Fusion (GBA)
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)
Super Mario World (SNES)
Puzzle Bobble (NEO)
Metal Slug (NEO)

I'm sure there are more, but I cannot think of them

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
F-Zero is super-relaxing. The music, the smooth speed, the LSD inspired courses...

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The original Test Drive Unlimited for me. I actually favoured the PS2 version(!). It's the one I put the most time into. I got the 360 version recently and, whilst I can see it's 'nicer', I enjoyed the 'feel' of the PS2 one more.

Ultimately though, racing, cruising or otherwise, I found TDU a sublime experience throughout. Racing was a pleasure, not a rubberband fest pain in the arse. The final race around the entire perimeter of the island was just phenomenal.

I also get super relaxing vibe from WipEout 2097 (XL). Flying around the Gare D'Europa on Rapier Class in the Auricom in the wind and rain, with that soundtrack. Mindblowing. It'll never be matched...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Wonderboy on the cab. The first four stages are like ZEN for me.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
It's a toss up for me between Boku no Natsuyasumi (My Summer Vacation), Attack of the Friday Night Monsters, Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life (GC), and Nobunaga's Ambition.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Lot of good games in this thread.

Columns (SMS)
Super Columns (GG)
Tetris (GB)
SimCity (SNES)
Castlevania SotN
Most of the early console Street Fighter II iterations are good for a quick play through before bed.

flashbackx

Crossed Swords Squire
Pilotwings and Flashback. Both are relaxing yet rewarding.

... and Forza Horizon on 360 too. Definitely play that if you haven't.

Last edited:

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Cyber Lip is the game I usually put in when I want to turn my brain off and just play through a game. Considering how noisy it is, I find it strangely relaxing.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Mario tennis on the gbc is a pretty chill game until that match against Sami on the island open tournament.

NERDtendo

Igniz's Servent
10 Year Member
Point and click adventure games for me like Monkey Island, Maniac Mansion etc. Also Mario64, Zelda OoT, Super Metroid, Sega Bass Fishing, Jet Set Radio, Tony Hawk games. For Neo Geo Turf Masters absolutely, Nightmare in the Dark, Last Blade and the first Metal Slug.

Definitely the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater games.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Someone mentioned Pilotwings?

Specifically, Pilotwings 64 is a very relaxing game to play. WaveRace 64 is pretty chill too tbh...