The "Relaxing" game of your choice.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Lately for me it's been Metroid Fusion. I basically just start a new game and zone out while going through all the motions to run through the game in about 2 ish hours. Not even speed running, just zoning out and going with the flow. It's easier as it's the most linear of the metroids I've played.

MissFaith

New Challenger
What a great thread, I was coming at it from the go to aspect as others have. For me it is normally nostalgia that help me relax or unwind, something familiar.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles - MD
Heroes of Might and Magic II - PC
Capcom Vs. SNK - Dreamcast
Puyo Puyo (any iteration)
Cool Boarders 2 - PS1

GreyFox

n00b
Thought of a couple of others although slightly different. Maybe not so much relaxing as zoning out a bit and playing.

Rez - Dreamcast - just a spectacular game. Starts slowly and builds into a hypnotic frenzy. Just a good one to go with the flow.

Tempest 2000 - Jaguar (or T2K on Vita) - similar to the above. Despite needing lots of concentration I find it a great distraction from the real world and therefore relaxing.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei - Saturn - just one of my all time favourite games and one I love to chill out with. From the haunting, otherworldly art direction, the tight controls, sensation of flight (after the opening levels) and most of all truly sensational music this is a game I relax with all the time. From the cool shaded forest level where you can almost feel the breeze to the stunning underground river in the caverns that opens into the tranquil never ending lake in the catacombs it is just a game that I still escape with from time to time.

Another one I relax with from time to time is Revenge of Shinobi (or occasionally Shinibi 3: Return of the Ninja Master). Often I'll just play a single level but there is something strangely soothing about it.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Puyo Puyo Tetris on the switch works pretty chill while watching some wrassling...

beecee

n00b
Rez - Dreamcast - just a spectacular game. Starts slowly and builds into a hypnotic frenzy. Just a good one to go with the flow.

this!, although it's the PS2 version for me after selling up my DC, great games, i also like its spiritual successor Child of Eden.

also i find playing Zelda 3 for the millionth time a good relaxing time passer.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Lately it has been Aoi Blink on the PCE: the slightly higher resolution, the slightly lower pacing and of course the full Tezuka charm captured by Westone.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
I recently stumbled onto the most "stressing" game: RayXanber III. That pea shooter f/x causes serious headache disorders. Not to mention that painful yellow laser sound. Both could be used as psychological warfare.

MCF 76

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
I recently stumbled onto the most "stressing" game: RayXanber III. That pea shooter f/x causes serious headache disorders. Not to mention that painful yellow laser sound. Both could be used as psychological warfare.

I know it, as awesome as the ost was they just got lazy as hell with the sfx. At least they figured out how annoying it really was by the end of the game. The final boss fight just has the music playing and no sfx lol.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
At least they figured out how annoying it really was by the end of the game. The final boss fight just has the music playing and no sfx lol.

Cool, I'll try a whole run without the sound f/x then. The headphone jack of the CD-ROM[SUP]2[/SUP] outputs redbook only.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Bust A Move 2. I must have played this more than anything in my life. I can just sit there and mindlessly play while hanging out and talking.

coreykun667

Galford's Armourer
Forza Horizon 3. Nothing like tearing through Australia in a massive variety of souped up cars. Also loving the Blizzard Mountain expansion. Something about snowy areas just feels nice, really.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Sometimes you just relax thru unmasked, lush and excessive... violence. On such occasions, I take one Burnout Revenge to go, please ;).

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I have a couple of games I can play over and over again, and never get bored. They simply relax me like nothing else.

Solomon's Key
Hammerin' Harry
Thunder Hoop
Cadillacs & Dinosaurs
Street Fighter III: New Generation
Magical Drop III

There are more titles, but these are the ones I come back to regularly. I know Hammerin' Harry by heart and have discovered a couple of tricks I've never seen anyone else utilize.

SF3: NG is my absolute favorite SF, hands down. I sometimes play it for hours without hooking up the kicks. I usually use a PlayStation controller with my Neo, so I just plug in CPS3 to the same setup. Neo only supports four buttons, but without the harness, I get only punches. I play it the "right" way as well, so don't worry.

I love Thunder Hoop for its music and looks. It's not the best platformer out there, but it's so much fun. For the longest time, it wasn't emulated, like most of Gaelco's games with the nastiest suicide copy protection out there. Only in recent months it was fully reversed.

With C&D, it's Hannah all the way. I'll just knee anything and anyone into oblivion. It's on extremely rare occasions I play as other characters.

Magical Drop III is something fairly recent compared to the other games on this list. I used to play a lot of Money Idol Exchanger, but MD3 is faster, which I prefer. It could be faster still, if you ask me.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I love casually playing through Progear and AVP. AVP brings me back a ton. I remember playing AVP with my best friend at the movie theater back in high school. Our girlfriends would be super pissed because we'd play through the initial credits of the movie and we'd finally have to just leave the game playing. I always enjoy just playing through both games and not worrying about how many continues I use. AVP is all about nostalgia and Progear is just super visually satisfying :)

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
completely forgot about this. probably the most relaxing game ever made.

Turbogfx

Crazed MVS Addict
NEO TURF MASTERS

I start out playing casual, really relaxed, but halfway through the tournament I will find myself totally engaged and wanting to hit Birdie every single hole :-)

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I really like these games, but they really stress me out. Thunder Hoop's sound effects alone will do the trick. So grating.

I can agree to a point. To me, what's annoying about TH's sound effects is not what they are, but rather how loud they are. There's no option to decrease their volume, and that's a big problem. Music consists of a large number of samples, which had to be compressed, and as we know, lower volume equals smaller data size. The volume of sound effects should be adjusted against the sound of stage music, but it's not. Effects are loud, especially the metal clangs and explosions. I really enjoy the music in this game. So much in fact that I will sometimes play it from the test menu. It's only mono, but whatever.