"Street Hoop" boot

protheus

n00b
Got this in the box with a slightly broken MV1FZ from ebay. I didn't originally realize it was supposed to have a cart, but looking back, it was, and the seller did say it was a bootleg. Interesting things about this one, though. Is that top board an actual SNK part that has been gutted and had the actual ROM swapped out for flash? Also looks water damaged. I've cleaned a good bit of rust off already.

I don't know if Street Hoop is actually on it, nor do I care much since it's a sports game, but I may patch some of the questionable traces up and try it.

Top:

View attachment 38585

Bottom:

View attachment 38586

protheus

n00b
Then I guess I'll give it a shot. Curious to see if it's reasonably functional anyway.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Looks like there's a number of possible bum traces on there, but hard to tell from the photo. And yeah, it's a fun game.

protheus

n00b
Looks like there's a number of possible bum traces on there, but hard to tell from the photo. And yeah, it's a fun game.

Yeah, there are a few that look bad. I haven't tested them; they used to look worse. There were sort of... rust bubbles on them. Apparently a combination of oxidation and peeling solder mask.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Yes, the Program, Audio, and Character (graphics) data are all separate chips with the Neo Geo architecture.

With your PROGGSC board, the V roms on the board were replaced with flash - they hold PCM audio samples for voices, sound effects, etc. The P1 rom on the same board holds the game program code and looks like a proper mask ROM, although that extra resistor on there is odd. EDIT: I just checked MVS-Scans for Street Hoop, and the extra resistor on the P1 rom is standard for that game.

The other CHA256 board holds the C roms (graphics), M rom (audio program code), and S rom (score overlay graphics). At a glance, the chips on that board look authentic.

I'm thinking that this cart isn't as much a complete bootleg as much as a cart that was damaged once and repaired.

You can learn more about how the authentic boards look by comparing your cart with the ones at http://www.mvs-scans.com . There's also plenty of juicy info on what cart chips do what at http://wiki.neogeodev.org .

Last edited:

protheus

n00b
Yes, the Program, Audio, and Character (graphics) data are all separate chips with the Neo Geo architecture.

With your PROGGSC board, the V roms on the board were replaced with flash - they hold PCM audio samples for voices, sound effects, etc. The P1 rom on the same board holds the game program code and looks like a proper mask ROM, although that extra resistor on there is odd. EDIT: I just checked MVS-Scans for Street Hoop, and the extra resistor on the P1 rom is standard for that game.

The other CHA256 board holds the C roms (graphics), M rom (audio program code), and S rom (score overlay graphics). At a glance, the chips on that board look authentic.

I'm thinking that this cart isn't as much a complete bootleg as much as a cart that was damaged once and repaired.

You can learn more about how the authentic boards look by comparing your cart with the ones at http://www.mvs-scans.com . There's also plenty of juicy info on what cart chips do what at http://wiki.neogeodev.org .

That does seem to make some sense. Thanks. I guess if this thing was running outside or in some other kind of harsh environment it could explain the current moisture damage and perhaps some previous similar trouble.

protheus

n00b
That does seem to make some sense. Thanks. I guess if this thing was running outside or in some other kind of harsh environment it could explain the current moisture damage and perhaps some previous similar trouble.

Interestingly, on closer examination, much of the damage seems to be on the mask and not on the metal. It actually plays ok.

Chris