Naomi Power Supply Question

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Thanks, a lot to digest and more reading to do. Once my NetDIMM arrives I'll let you know. I really like the compact flash convenience so we'll see what happens.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
You can try Win-7 or better if you like.

I've had some success with it, but others have not.

---

If you have a pic chip for the rom, or a null key, you can use Transfergame to load the rom instead of python.

But python is better for testing 'cause it's one less part (the key) in the system.

---

Some netbot setup info: http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/netboot-sega-naomi-netdimm/

And, iirc, a net-dimm board can net-boot with firmware 3.01 and naomi 1 ver. D bios or better.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?246150-Atomiswave-to-Naomi

I thought to be able to boot all the games via dimm you had to have a Naomi bios of like version H. I do remember having issues until I got one, but was able to boot older games that didn't have one. Like I could NetBoot jumbo safari on a ancient first revision Naomi board no problem, but when I tried sow thing newer like gigawing it didn't work, did he ever confirm which bios version he had I asked earlier in this thread but I don't think I ever saw the response.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
I double checked: It's "E" or better to net-boot.

"H" is the Japan region BIOS. And the last revision. Desired mainly for MAPLE BUS support.

Most Naomi users just use the Naomi multi region bios, though, for convenience.

http://www.sega-naomi.com/bios.htm
http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_NAOMI

I know I'm always switching back and forth between G (USA) & H (JPN).

I thought to be able to boot all the games via dimm you had to have a Naomi bios of like version H. I do remember having issues until I got one, but was able to boot older games that didn't have one. Like I could NetBoot jumbo safari on a ancient first revision Naomi board no problem, but when I tried sow thing newer like gigawing it didn't work, did he ever confirm which bios version he had I asked earlier in this thread but I don't think I ever saw the response.

Last edited:

TSXGuy

New Challenger
I'm going to check the bios, I literally just noticed going back into the first part of the thread that West asked for the bios. I'm assuming I can find that in the test menu? Let me go check and I'll get back to you guys. If I have to take apart the Naomi to find out please let me know and I'll do so. I'm assuming I can find it in the test menu though. Be right back.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
I'm going to check the bios, I literally just noticed going back into the first part of the thread that West asked for the bios. I'm assuming I can find that in the test menu? Let me go check and I'll get back to you guys. If I have to take apart the Naomi to find out please let me know and I'll do so. I'm assuming I can find it in the test menu though. Be right back.

My bios revision was marked on the big socketed chip on the Naomi board.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
OK if this is it my chip says 21577G Naomi 1. That is the chip that looks removable next to the battery.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Region is determined by the last number before the letter. H exists in both JP and export. USA has no H bios, it stops at G.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
FREAKING RESOLVED!!!! FINALLY!!

So, obviously I'm sort of a dumb ass. OK, maybe all the way dumb ass. LOL. I wasn't putting the ID in the right hand box of the card reader. So, the way I figured this out was with the help of Mitsurugi but also the fact I had a CF card I knew was solid with the code written on it. All of the new cards I have obviously did not have the code due to the fact I don't have an older computer to read them .I begrudgingly erased Rumble Fish 2 from my good card and loaded Guilty Gear XX and wouldn't you know it...BOOM...it worked. So, formatted the card and tried Giga Wing 2 and BAM...it worked as well.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
If you use NaomiCF v1.34.

When you switch CF cards, all you have to do is hit the GET ID button.

If you can remember to do that, then the program will automatically get the CF Card ID and put it in the box for your.

You don't have to search the CF Card Header for it.

The program is very simple to use.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
If you use NaomiCF v1.34.

When you switch CF cards, all you have to do is hit the GET ID button.

If you can remember to do that, then the program will automatically get the CF Card ID and put it in the box for your.

You don't have to search the CF Card Header for it.

The program is very simple to use.

I'm 99% sure I have NaomiCF 1.34 and when I use the GET ID feature it does not work. I'll go check since the program is in the other room and let you know but pretty sure I have the right version and that the GET ID button has never worked.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
PC OFF > INSERT CF CARD > POWER ON > BOOT UP > START NAOMI PROGRAM > LOAD ROM > GET ID > BURN FILE.

When you change CF Cards, you have to repeat the process, as CF cards are not Plug-n-Play devices.

CF cards are only detected on the bus line when the PC first boots up.

I'm 99% sure I have NaomiCF 1.34 and when I use the GET ID feature it does not work. I'll go check since the program is in the other room and let you know but pretty sure I have the right version and that the GET ID button has never worked.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Did exactly as you said but program came up with no IDE or PCMIA. Keep in mind, I'm using a USB CF loader so that is probably the reason. Anyway, thanks for the hints as they would normally work.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
CF require ide connection.

Usb connection can't access header info.

Did exactly as you said but program came up with no IDE or PCMIA. Keep in mind, I'm using a USB CF loader so that is probably the reason. Anyway, thanks for the hints as they would normally work.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
CF require ide connection.

Usb connection can't access header info.

TSXGuy

New Challenger
Thanks man, I may have seen parts of that video but now that I'm totally up and running I'll watch the whole thing. I went ahead and ordered that from Amazon to get here today (only $5.99 for next day shipping so why not?). I'll use your instructions to get the ID once I have it installed. Thanks again for your help.

Morden

Somewhere in Europe.,
I didn't want to create a new thread, so I'm using this one. I have both Naomi and Naomi 2. My setup is as follows: I have a PC power supply, so I'm using a Capcom I/O as a "converter" of sorts, both for the power plug, and for the inputs, so it's just the power cable and the USB cable that go from Naomi to the I/O. I'm taking audio and video directly from Naomi. Now, using a net DIMM, I can't seem to run the first Naomi, as it doesn't boot properly. It does boot without the net DIMM. This setup works like a charm for Naomi 2, though.

Since the net DIMM is newer than original Naomi design, I'm guessing it increases the power requirements, and running power through the I/O isn't exactly helping. Would this situation be remedied if I connected aux power, like with the GDR drive?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeah, connecting power directly to the NAOMI is the way to go when you're using a NetDIMM AFAIK. Just using carts and a mobo you're fine w/the Capcom IO. I've heard tales of being able to power the whole setup from just the Capcom IO by cranking up the voltage but that seems like a really poor move.