Thread: Naomi Power Supply Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Lazy SNK Employee

Naomi Power Supply Question

So rather than try and bump my old thread, I thought I would start a new one since I think Lemony and Mad are spot on that I need more power to my Naomi MB. Just to refresh, here is my setup:

Naomi 1 MB
    Capcom I/O
    CF Reader
    Sega Blast City

So currently, I am getting the following games to work with no ERROR 21:

Virtua Tennis 2
    Ken, Fist of North Star
    Dolphin Blue
    Rumble Fish 2
    Metal Slug 6

Now, all of these are Atomiswave except for one obviously. They all work perfectly but games like Gigawing, etc. do not work. So, I took some pictures of my power supply. My friend who I got it from says he used it with his Naomi with no issues. However, I don't see how he could since it only has 3 pin plugs instead of one 3 and one 4 pin plug for the Naomi. There is an extra plug in the pictures so maybe that goes in the last spot on the 4 pin port? Highly unlikely but I figured I would ask. I could also use the power from the JAMMA loom going into the Capcom I/O to use the 4 pin cable directly from the Capcom I/O to the 4 pin port on the Naomi.

Anyway, let me know what you think and pictures attached.

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Dog789/library/
    Last edited by TSXGuy; 08-20-2016 at 01:51 PM.

Give an Azn
    A Break Here!

Which bios revision are you using?

Lazy SNK Employee

Hmmm, that's a good question. I had an engineer friend flash the bios to the latest which I think is 4.012? I also now it's 512MB but just not sure what type of bios though. Anyway to check in the settings?
    Last edited by TSXGuy; 08-20-2016 at 02:00 PM.

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

There are no 3 or 4 pin power connectors anywhere on the mobo other than a 5v output connector. The two power inputs, as I mentioned in the other thread, are 8 pin and 6 pin.

Also, run a DIMM test and RAM test just to be sure.
    Last edited by madman; 08-20-2016 at 04:30 PM.
    >

Lazy SNK Employee

OK ran a DIMM test and RAM test, see below:

http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/Dog789/library/

OK, I'm really sorry for the idiocy, obviously the Naomi ports are 6 pin and 8 pin. The power supply my friend lent me that he "claims" powered his Naomi MB doesn't make any sense because both connectors are 9 pin. So, if that will not work, I'll ask on the boards for a Sun power supply that will work with my Naomi board.

Thanks Mad, I am learning this stuff fairly quickly. Any other ideas other than ordering a new power supply?

Before I get too far along, a game like GigaWing should work on CF correct? As long as the bin isn't corrupt?

Blame madman
    You Know You Want To.

If the PSU you have only has 9 pin connectors there's no way it would've worked with the NAOMI. I don't know how you even hooked it up to yours if that's the case.
    >

Give an Azn
    A Break Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranix95 View Post
    You can try Win-7 or better if you like.

I've had some success with it, but others have not.

---

If you have a pic chip for the rom, or a null key, you can use Transfergame to load the rom instead of python.

But python is better for testing 'cause it's one less part (the key) in the system.

---

Some netbot setup info: http://8bitplus.co.uk/projects/netbo...naomi-netdimm/

And, iirc, a net-dimm board can net-boot with firmware 3.01 and naomi 1 ver. D bios or better.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showth...swave-to-Naomi

I thought to be able to boot all the games via dimm you had to have a Naomi bios of like version H. I do remember having issues until I got one, but was able to boot older games that didn't have one. Like I could NetBoot jumbo safari on a ancient first revision Naomi board no problem, but when I tried sow thing newer like gigawing it didn't work, did he ever confirm which bios version he had I asked earlier in this thread but I don't think I ever saw the response.

Hades Gate Keeper

I double checked: It's "E" or better to net-boot.

"H" is the Japan region BIOS. And the last revision. Desired mainly for MAPLE BUS support.

Most Naomi users just use the Naomi multi region bios, though, for convenience.

http://www.sega-naomi.com/bios.htm
    http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_NAOMI

I know I'm always switching back and forth between G (USA) & H (JPN).

Quote Originally Posted by Westcb View Post
    I thought to be able to boot all the games via dimm you had to have a Naomi bios of like version H. I do remember having issues until I got one, but was able to boot older games that didn't have one. Like I could NetBoot jumbo safari on a ancient first revision Naomi board no problem, but when I tried sow thing newer like gigawing it didn't work, did he ever confirm which bios version he had I asked earlier in this thread but I don't think I ever saw the response.
    Last edited by Tyranix95; 09-02-2016 at 04:12 PM.

Lazy SNK Employee

I'm going to check the bios, I literally just noticed going back into the first part of the thread that West asked for the bios. I'm assuming I can find that in the test menu? Let me go check and I'll get back to you guys. If I have to take apart the Naomi to find out please let me know and I'll do so. I'm assuming I can find it in the test menu though. Be right back.

Give an Azn
    A Break Here!

Quote Originally Posted by TSXGuy View Post
    I'm going to check the bios, I literally just noticed going back into the first part of the thread that West asked for the bios. I'm assuming I can find that in the test menu? Let me go check and I'll get back to you guys. If I have to take apart the Naomi to find out please let me know and I'll do so. I'm assuming I can find it in the test menu though. Be right back.

My bios revision was marked on the big socketed chip on the Naomi board.

Lazy SNK Employee

OK if this is it my chip says 21577G Naomi 1. That is the chip that looks removable next to the battery.
    Last edited by TSXGuy; 09-02-2016 at 05:04 PM.

Genyosai's Servant

Region is determined by the last number before the letter. H exists in both JP and export. USA has no H bios, it stops at G.

Lazy SNK Employee

FREAKING RESOLVED!!!! FINALLY!!

So, obviously I'm sort of a dumb ass. OK, maybe all the way dumb ass. LOL. I wasn't putting the ID in the right hand box of the card reader. So, the way I figured this out was with the help of Mitsurugi but also the fact I had a CF card I knew was solid with the code written on it. All of the new cards I have obviously did not have the code due to the fact I don't have an older computer to read them .I begrudgingly erased Rumble Fish 2 from my good card and loaded Guilty Gear XX and wouldn't you know it...BOOM...it worked. So, formatted the card and tried Giga Wing 2 and BAM...it worked as well.

Thanks for everyone's help on this. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Hades Gate Keeper

If you use NaomiCF v1.34.

When you switch CF cards, all you have to do is hit the GET ID button.

If you can remember to do that, then the program will automatically get the CF Card ID and put it in the box for your.

You don't have to search the CF Card Header for it.

The program is very simple to use.

Thread Information