Cps2 with graphics issue

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
I have a gray ssf2 tnc board with graphics issues. It's had them for years. Other games play fine on the a board. Wondering what the best route would be? Trying to get this game back, or a sac cart for something else? The actual game plays fine behind the messed up picture. Thoughts

20160820_083429_zpsst2o1jml.jpg

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
You can start by checking the voltage and reseat the chips while cleaning up dust. Also, check in the test menu for chip issues.

Edit: if those don't help determine the issues, it might be the custom chips? Not too sure since I'm new at CPS2, myself.

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
It looks like corruption but have you tried to decase the B board and plug it into the A board to rule out a bad connection of the two boards?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Haven't tried to open the b board. It has the security bolt still in place. C bolt? Best way to get that out?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
At one point, the game worked 100%

JoeAwesome

It depends if you want to keep it intact or not. I've not done it, yet, since I've only come across one C-bolt, but you can drill it out, or pull it out by holding onto both ends of the bolt.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Ran the memory test and everything came up ok. I don't care about keeping the c bolt. I'll drill it out. What would you use to get a good grip on each side? My needle nosed pliers don't fit.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

From another thread on here:

Actually it depends. If it is an original Capcom bolt with a "C" on top, you just need to use a pair of needle-nose pliers or pry it out with a small screwdriver. It's just pushed together not screwed. If they had been repaired by Capcom at some point they will have replaced it with a regular screw and bolt. In that case you would need to use a socket.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Got it off. Wasn't petty, lol. The board looked very clean, except for this...

20160820_122020_zpspsentv5j.jpg

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Clean that up, swap the battery, and try to fix where it looks damaged? Never fixed a trace before. Pretty simple?

MuppeT

War Room Troll
That is not damage brother... that is just flux.

Look for the problem else where.

Re-seat all the e-proms and see how it does.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Lifted all of the chips and pushed them back down. Now the game didn't even turn on. But the diagonal dots are still there :(

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Lifted all of the chips and pushed them back down. Now the game didn't even turn on. But the diagonal dots are still there :(

you bent a leg on an eprom most likely. check them carefully.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Nothing is bent. Was I supposed to reseat every chip or just those with the capcom sticker on them?

JoeAwesome

I'd reseat all eprom chips that are socketed, then test again without the outer B board case. When testing, you could press down on the board near the A/B pins, as I've had graphics change on me during gameplay.

Also not mentioned but on the checklist of things to do, are the pins between the A & B boards not bent?

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Re-set all that could be. Hooked it up without the b board shell and it works great!

Froze on the character select screen the first time, I pulled it up and re-set it again. Worked fine. Thanks!

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
Me too. Thanks for your help! Playing with this stuff is so far and in between, even going back to something simple feels like it's brand new.

Last edited: