I hate the Snes, it's a piece of crap

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
However those that say genesis/md sound is terrible are also deaf.

Maybe not deaf, but certainly not sophisticated enough to acknowledge that: FM > PCM.

Of course, this says nothing about the quality of the composition itself. Even a muffled and dull sound quality can't destroy a masterpiece like the Japanese Biometal soundtrack. FM-synthesis though, used by skilled artists like Huelsbeck (Mega Turrican), Follin (Time Trax), Koshiro (Bare Knuckle III) or Rick Fox (Aero the Acrobat 2) is unbeatable.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Off the top of my head, MKII and SFIIT looked and sounded better. I always thought the sports games were better on the Genny though.

That's about the time when the Genesis started to show its age. Here's a pretty solid example of that:

The fights starts about the 3 min mark. The limited sound and color display of the Genesis really show through in this example, but we're talking 1994 here. By that time, the Genesis had been on the market for nearly 6 years (since the Japanese launch).

johhnnyD14

Hardened Shock Trooper
Off the top of my head, MKII and SFIIT looked and sounded better. I always thought the sports games were better on the Genny though.

I always thought that SFII on Genesis sounded better than the SNES port. Its better looking on the SNES though, same goes with MKII. A lot of arcade ports really vary wildly from both systems, but in many instances the SNES port was better, at least from what I've seen and played.

That's about the time when the Genesis started to show its age. Here's a pretty solid example of that:

The fights starts about the 3 min mark. The limited sound and color display of the Genesis really show through in this example, but we're talking 1994 here. By that time, the Genesis had been on the market for nearly 6 years (since the Japanese launch).

For 6-year old hardware, it's still impressive that it matches up that well to the more powerful hardware.

Last edited:

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member

I would DEFINITELY have been able to tell the difference between these 20 years ago. As it is, I've somehow lost the ability to pick them apart over time. I don't even know which one I prefer the look of. Worrying.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member

Still rather play the Genesis version.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I've gone full circle on SNES > < MD in my gaming life cycle.

I didn't look twice at the MD as a kid after the SNES released. The SNES just had everything I wanted to be playing back then: Zelda, Street Fighter series, Starwing, Stunt Race FX, Super Mario Kart, Final Fight, Castlevania 4, Super Star Wars, Super R-type, Super Probotector, Super GnG, Cybernator, UN Squadron etc

The SNES was definitely my console of choice back then and I don't regret making that singular decision. However...

Fast forward to 2010 and I fell susceptible to redundancy. I ended up having to sell some gaming stuff off. After reviewing the market, it appeared that - by far - the SNES would reap the biggest financial 'return', so I set about selling it all off. And I did. All. Gone.

I since decided to look at the MD, as I never had one personally, back in the day, and decided to explore the library more in-depth. I've bought a shit load of games since and am now a massive fan of the console - from Gunstar Heroes and Mega Turrican to Thunderforce IV and Truxton, I love it. Now...

I don't feel I missed out on it back in the day. I have to be honest, I just think my gaming tastes have changed and - TODAY - the MD suits my gaming tastes and gaming requirements more than a SNES... right now.

However, I sure as hell miss not having: Ninja Warriors, Final Fight 3 (the best FF!), Starfox, TMNT Tourney Fighters and some more. However, Castlevania Bloodline, Probotector etc more than makes up for not having CV4 and Super Probo... in that I now PREFER the MD versions, even though the SNES versions are still classics. Having said that, my copies of MEGA SWIV, GnG, Alien 3 etc can't make up for the awesome SNES versions I'm afraid.

What I've learned is, anyone who says 'SNES was shit' or 'MD was shit' etc just hasn't played the RIGHT games per system. As is always the case, nearly every gen, you need BOTH to get the most out of that generation (PCE excepted as relatively unknown here in the UK at that time).

p.s. here is a link to my SNES collection before I sold it all, way back when: http://s699.photobucket.com/user/NeoGeoNinja/library/SNES Collection?sort=2&page=1

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I always thought that SFII on Genesis sounded better than the SNES port. Its better looking on the SNES though, same goes with MKII. A lot of arcade ports really vary wildly from both systems, but in many instances the SNES port was better, at least from what I've seen and played.

You might be right with the Snes having the better ports but one game were the Genny totally wins is Thunder Force 3. It's one of my favorite shtmups. Thunder Spirits is a huge turd. I can't believe how bad it looks and sounds on the SFC.

Last edited:

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Well, your ignorance is offensive...

And thats your opinion and you are entitled to it. I already proved you right. I started early with the Genesisand just perfered the graphics. Its a fanboy thing, still love the SNES though.

We just have to agree to disagree.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member

OH HELL YES mk2 MD was the jam.. spent many summer hours on that game

snes had plenty of enjoyable exclusives. still, the carts & the system itself kinda felt disposable.. like after ps1 then ps2 came out snes carts loose & CIB were dirt cheap, you couldn't GIVE them away.. why are people paying hundred of dollards for SNES titles?

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
OH HELL YES mk2 MD was the jam.. spent many summer hours on that game

Started with mk1 and spent soooooo much time on mk2 love the original 2. I wanted a genesis for the original! Blood code: A B A C A B B oooooo helll yea!

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Started with mk1 and spent soooooo much time on mk2 love the original 2. I wanted a genesis for the original! Blood code: A B A C A B B oooooo helll yea!

Don't forget D U L L A R D. I loved that code.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Well I agree with the deaf part i did start by saying its a matter of opinion.

And slow down with the wall of text or at least put some breaks in there because i cant debate your argument when I stop reading a half way through your rant.

3 1/3 lines of text of a few sentences hardly a wall of text or a rant make. Not saying it's you in this, but in general I've seen that by people before and I write it off as ADHD, laziness, inability to back up an argument, or general lacking of intelligence. You seem smart and capable enough, so guessing don't care enough. ;)

I had a CIB 2nd Attack. I sold it a couple of years ago for $250. I can't bring myself to see what it goes for now.

Trust me you really don't want to know.

Hyper...why are people paying that much? Because the market TOLD them to. The difference being here it's not corporate interests doing it, much like we're made to feel we need a 100 differ products for the kitchen or bathroom that are entirely pointless fluff we're told are better and make life easier. IN this case it's defrauding private consumers who have turned it into a flip trade playing off other fools who feel left out and want in on it.

I do agree anyone saying one of them is 'the shit' over the other is full of that turd. Hardware aside as there is a gap, albeit not a huge one, it comes down to the games. They both have really solid exclusives or even ports from the computer side of things worthy of having in your system. Personally I too took that slide away from Nintendo toward Sega, if anything since the prices aren't pure bullshit, but also to try something new (again.) I had a Genesis in the later 90s into the earlier 00s before a huge unwanted but unavoidable sell off and I've been not so much getting much of those again but different stuff and it has been an interesting ride so far.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I'll just leave this here how parents in the 90's look at the snes :lolz::loco:

Last edited:

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You know what's cool about the Genesis? People still care enough about it to actively program patches for the old games.

It's a wonderful time to be alive when you can have the roms on a flash cart looking and sounding better than ever before.

For example, one coder loaded the arcade voices into Altered Beast so it sounds much better, and another coder fine tuned the color palette so the graphics look better. Combined it breathes new life into the game, I pplayed the hell out of it again.

Most notably, there's improved palette hacks for:

Altered Beast
Art of Fighting
Captain America and The Avengers
Castlevania Bloodlines
Double Dragon
Fatal Fury II
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
The Lion King
Mortal Kombat II
Outrun
Sagaia
Samurai Shodown
Street Fighter II': SCE
Streets of Rage 2
Sunset Riders
Super Street Fighter II
TMNT: Hyperstone Heist
Truxton
Turrican
Wardner

These seriously improve the look of the games. Even though no more colors are actually possible to use due to hardware limitations, these hacks carefully adjust what existing colors are used to improve the overall look. You'd be amazed at what shifting a color here or there does to the overall look of a part of a game.

If the developers spent more time tweaking color palettes on the Genesis, they could have had a much better result way beck then!

Examples:
2310screenshot1.png2310screenshot2.png2310screenshot3.png2310screenshot4.png

14622525741_1e1639d22e_o.png

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
You know what's cool about the Genesis? People still care enough about it to actively program patches for the old games.

It's a wonderful time to be alive when you can have the roms on a flash cart looking and sounding better than ever before.

For example, one coder loaded the arcade voices into Altered Beast so it sounds much better, and another coder fine tuned the color palette so the graphics look better. Combined it breathes new life into the game, I pplayed the hell out of it again.

Altered Beast
Art of Fighting
Castlevania Bloodlines
Double Dragon
Fatal Fury II
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
The Lion King
Mortal Kombat II
Outrun
Sagaia
Samurai Shodown
Streets of Rage 2
Sunset Riders
Super Street Fighter II
Truxton
Turrican
Wardner

These seriously improve the look of the games. Even though no more colors are actually possible to use due to hardware limitations, these hacks carefully adjust what existing colors are used to improve the overall look. You'd be amazed at what shifting a color here or there does to the overall look of a part of a game.

If the developers spent more time tweaking color palettes on the Genesis, they could have had a much better result way beck then!

Examples:
View attachment 38681View attachment 38682View attachment 38683View attachment 38684

I was not aware of this. This looks amazing - like a different game.

I'm sure they were under tremndous pressure to get a product out by the release date (which was set when the game was still really popular at aracdes). MKII was an anticipated game, but I'm sure the ports would have been much better if there was a little bit more development time allowed.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Altered Beast
Art of Fighting
Castlevania Bloodlines
Double Dragon
Fatal Fury II
Golden Axe
Golden Axe II
The Lion King
Mortal Kombat II
Outrun
Sagaia
Samurai Shodown
Streets of Rage 2
Sunset Riders
Super Street Fighter II
Truxton
Turrican
Wardner

Examples:
View attachment 38681View attachment 38682View attachment 38683View attachment 38684

View attachment 38680

I did not know either. Those games look great with the new palettes.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the Outrun color hack. He also did one for Final Fight CD which is rad, but you have to use the Japanese version.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I'll just leave this here how parents in the 90's look at the snes :lolz::loco:

The level of consumer ignorance back that was insane. I especially love all the morons acting like it was some sort of scam or something.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Wow add me to the list, Genesis ports of arcade games with the shitty colors and some other small nuances fixed, quite the improvement.

And yes, people were huge morons 20 years back and they felt a simple upgrade was taking advantage of people. Computers took the same line of shit too once you started having programs/games not running on MSDOS anymore with evil MS forcing you into Windows 95/98 or else. Nintendo took the crap because they had a huge market share and you were pre-internet pre-easy phone look up so it was just whatever you saw, the line of shit the press fed you to get ratings or newspapers sold, and that was about it.

xorthen

Banned
Does anybody know where to find an english translation patch for the japanese version of Super Street Fighter II on the Mega Drive?

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the Outrun color hack. He also did one for Final Fight CD which is rad, but you have to use the Japanese version.

The Japanese version is where's it's at. So it's all good. I'm going to check these out.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Does anybody know where to find an english translation patch for the japanese version of Super Street Fighter II on the Mega Drive?

7786-51EC4WYZFZL.jpg